The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Ford Discussions (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/)
-   -   Lincoln to get a version of the Flex? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/lincoln-get-version-flex-462098/)

Zastava_101 1/3/08 10:02 AM

Lincoln to get a version of the Flex?

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/03/m...n-of-the-flex/

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.au...ex_lincoln.jpg

Moosetang 1/3/08 10:50 AM

Blue II, Igor, and others have already confirmed this, and that it will NOT look like a flex with a wing grille. They claim its even further from the Flex than the MKS is from the Taurus. Power is supposedly to come from a Twinforce 3.7L, though whether that's the base or an option is unknown. We likely will not see it in the flesh until after the Flex hits the market, I think.

hi5.0 1/3/08 08:56 PM

With that color combo, make the grille slats horizontal, and it could pass as a "BIG Mini". = )

Hollywood_North GT 1/4/08 02:25 AM

What a stupid idea. :shame:

Brought to you by the same old-guard half-wits that cooked up that other Lincoln white elephant, the MK LT pickup truck. :rolleyes:

How many more sport-utility-crossover-wagon-minivan variations does this company need, for crissake? :screwy:

Now, if they were planning to crank out a TRUE Infiniti FX type competitor, then maybe I could see it, but do they have the chops for that yet?

TomServo92 1/4/08 12:43 PM

First spy pics (that I've seen anyway):

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/linc...-shots/557865/

EDIT: The more I looked at it I realized it's the MK-Flex nose grafted onto a Taurus X body, especially since the body isn't camo'd at all.

Hollywood_North GT 1/4/08 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by TomServo92 (Post 1079899)
First spy pics (that I've seen anyway):

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/linc...-shots/557865/

EDIT: The more I looked at it I realized it's the MK-Flex nose grafted onto a Taurus X body, especially since the body isn't camo'd at all.

:bad:

:shame:

TomServo92 1/4/08 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT (Post 1080030)
:bad:

:shame:

Meh...I'll wait for the real thing and not pass judgement on a test mule. It might turn out to be pretty nice. They're saying it will share ZERO sheetmetal with the Flex.

Hollywood_North GT 1/4/08 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by TomServo92 (Post 1080065)
Meh...I'll wait for the real thing and not pass judgement on a test mule. It might turn out to be pretty nice. They're saying it will share ZERO sheetmetal with the Flex.

Well, sure. But again, WHY do we need this?

instigator311 1/4/08 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT (Post 1080266)
Well, sure. But again, WHY do we need this?

Agreed.

I would think that, if anything, Lincoln needs some RWD and some higher quality and technology to align it against other luxery divisions. I bet that the money they're spending on building this thing could go a long way towards reaching other goals for Lincoln.

Zastava_101 1/5/08 12:40 AM

Lincoln needs replacement for Town Car.

TomServo92 1/5/08 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Red Star (Post 1080474)
Lincoln needs replacement for Town Car.

Perhaps the Lincoln Flex could also be marketed as a more fuel efficient alternative to the Navigator. :dunno:

hi5.0 1/5/08 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by instigator311 (Post 1080350)
Agreed.

I would think that, if anything, Lincoln needs some RWD and some higher quality and technology to align it against other luxery divisions. I bet that the money they're spending on building this thing could go a long way towards reaching other goals for Lincoln.

Yes, RWD. Lincoln seems to be heading down the Acura path of primarily FWD vehicles, while Cadillac is making the switch back to RWD... IMO, FWD just doesn't "fit" with a luxury vehicle.

TomServo92 1/5/08 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by hi5.0 (Post 1080680)
Yes, RWD. Lincoln seems to be heading down the Acura path of primarily FWD vehicles, while Cadillac is making the switch back to RWD... IMO, FWD just doesn't "fit" with a luxury vehicle.

I hope the Global RWD program will result in a RWD vehicle for Lincoln such as the MKR.

hatchttu 1/5/08 08:12 PM

When is ford going to realize that putting a new front end on an existing ford is LAME!!! They need to do the same with lincoln that GM did with Caddy. COMPLETELY different cars, and go RWD with them. They need to FIRE everyone on the design teams and decision making teams with quickness.

Black331 1/5/08 09:17 PM

Agreed, Lincoln needs some RWD cars or they'll always be seen as just a trim option for Fords. FWD sleds aren't true luxury cars, every Lincoln sold right now or to be sold in the near future is just a re-badged Ford..

Moosetang 1/5/08 10:26 PM

Once again, the Ford insiders from BON have said this is NOT going to be a Flex with a MKR nose. Like the MKS it is based on the same architecture as its Ford counterpart but will share no sheetmetal, share no interior design elements, have its own powertrain options, and have a unique tune/setup.

Originally Posted by hatchttu (Post 1081007)
....They need to do the same with lincoln that GM did with Caddy. COMPLETELY different cars....

Yeah, gotta love how the XLR has nothing in common with the Corvette, the Escalade has nothing to do with the Tahoe/Suburban, and the EXT has nothing to do with the Avalance. Put it another way, if Ford brings the Interceptor and MKR to market, are you going to bag the MKR becuase it's not built off a Linc-only platform? If GM wants to use Sigma for only Caddy, and shovel more money into platform development just so they can say that, fine. But Ford can build great Fords and great Lincolns with platform-sharing, I say bring 'em on!

Hollywood_North GT 1/6/08 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetang (Post 1081107)
Once again, the Ford insiders from BON have said this is NOT going to be a Flex with a MKR nose. Like the MKS it is based on the same architecture as its Ford counterpart but will share no sheetmetal, share no interior design elements, have its own powertrain options, and have a unique tune/setup.

Great, tell me again why Lincoln needs another 'truck'.

Originally Posted by Moosetang (Post 1081107)
Yeah, gotta love how the XLR has nothing in common with the Corvette, the Escalade has nothing to do with the Tahoe/Suburban, and the EXT has nothing to do with the Avalance. Put it another way, if Ford brings the Interceptor and MKR to market, are you going to bag the MKR becuase it's not built off a Linc-only platform? If GM wants to use Sigma for only Caddy, and shovel more money into platform development just so they can say that, fine. But Ford can build great Fords and great Lincolns with platform-sharing, I say bring 'em on!

Platform sharing doesn't bother me. Rebadged bodies, especially when they're on 16 different variations of compact sport utility minivan wagons...that bothers me.

kevinb120 1/6/08 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by TomServo92 (Post 1080065)

That looks like they put the Freestyle greenhouse on a Flex. Lincoln doesn't need the vehicle at all.

kevinb120 1/6/08 10:06 AM

Well Acura is the worst badge switching in the industry. The TSX and RL are NOTHING but different emblems on JDM/EU versions of regular hondas(the 'baby' EU accord and JDM Legend). They really haven't broken any ground nor dominate sales in their original markets either. Acura's in the US average a selling price of $1000 below invoice plus rebates.

TomServo92 1/6/08 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by kevinb120 (Post 1081330)
That looks like they put the Freestyle greenhouse on a Flex. Lincoln doesn't need the vehicle at all.

It's a TEST MULE. They grafted the Lincoln Flex nose onto a Taurus X for testing purposes only. We don't know what the greenhouse of the Lincoln will look like.