Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Jim Farley's car collection

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/12, 04:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Based on the last several decades, I don't know if there is a true difference any more - legal or other aspects - between mergers and takeovers.

I still don't understand why gov broke up monopolies in the early 1900's, and then at the end of the 1900's gov rarely blocks a mega combination - regardless if they are mergers or takeovers, or domestic or foreign corps.
I think you have me there. I'm focusing on whether the government is worried about looking like they are playing by the rules when the reality is that they stopped worrying about the rules a long time ago. Excellent point sir.
Old 1/7/12, 05:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Nobody goes to jail because they were stupid. If the board failed their fiduciary duty to shareholders, that is a civil matter (unless criminal acts were committed). But that would be hard to pursue if the (then) existing majority shareholders made a profit - or at least hadn't lost excessively at the time.

And you're forgetting Cerberus - the next failed decision. Daimler was long gone by the time the bailout (corrupt banko by team Oshama) occurred.

Either way, it is not the gov's job to babysit BOD's or to make shareholders whole.

Agreed. Chrysler received loans - that have been paid back. GM was literally taken over by government and 'secured' with ownership shares - while screwing shareholders, bondholders, lenders when team Obama dictated terms that completely ignored/overturned decades of precedence in bankruptcy proceedings.
Think about that. Executive Branch steamrolls over Judicial Branch. Forces private investors & lenders out and gives ownership to US Gov & UAW.
Imagine government coming in and confiscating your home & Mustang and giving it to the politicians & union slackers down at the 99 park for the 'greater good'.
Wo Wo Wo Wo ... hold your horses there Charlie. I am sure that there are a few people who are in jail because they are stupid. Like the guy who called the police because the home owners dog was barking at him. (He was a burglar BTW)