Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

How Ford Plans to Fix Lincoln

Search this Thread

Old 10/7/11, 08:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish that Lincoln were preparing to engage in a full on premium luxury onslaught myself, but I am also firmly grounded in reality and will say what only Zoran seems to have hinted at thus far. Given the current state of the economy, the very uncertain future of the economy, and the fact that Ford literally just pulled themselves back from the brink of economic oblivion potentially betting the farm on a major Lincoln overhaul right now, when even the Ford brand overhaul isn't done yet and there is not nearly enough economic cushion to get the warm and fuzzy's, probably wouldn't be the wisest of moves.

There will be time for Lincoln to morph back into the premium juggernaut it once was in the future. Right now, if they can make just a little money, build a quality product, and preserve the Lincoln name as a viable going concern (possibly even bring back a reputation for quality and value?) I'll take it. That said, even if a full on revival just isn't a good idea right now it would be nice if they got rid of the ridiculous 'Eem-Kay-insert random letter here' naming scheme.
Old 10/9/11, 07:49 AM
GTR Member

Well, based on what info I've seen/heard, the MKZ will be more distinguishable than the Fusion this time around. From what I've seen, it's a very sharp car.

On the other hand, I don't think the MKS being of the Taurus family is the right move. I think their flagship sedan should be RWD, and even if an EcoBoost V6 is the powerplant, RWD and AWD should be the only options.

I agree with some of you, the MK-? nomenclature is cheesy and doesn't really attract the same attention that a more normal name does. Hopefully this will change.

I hope Lincoln can come back to be a strong brand. Considering what Ford has done with consolidation and selling off brands recently, it seems like their new focus is just Ford and Lincoln. Give both the assets they need to survive.
Old 10/18/11, 11:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
More RWD Lincoln rumors.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/lincoln-...resurface.html
Old 10/19/11, 08:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GT40 2
Anyone notice a strong resemblance to the the old MK9 Concept on that link? Also looks like a a few ques from 60's Continental throwback as well: high end trim, suicide doors, four headlights, prominent emblem...

That... I can appreciate.

Also: "... the sedan could be based off the Mustang’s platform..." - Basically, a slightly heavier two and/or four door *Boss* air-based suspension? Why stop there - Mercury Capri, anyone?

Last edited by Kinyodas; 10/19/11 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10/19/11, 02:24 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Kinyodas
AWhy stop there - Mercury Capri, anyone?
Maybe because Mercury doesn't exist anymore?
Old 10/19/11, 02:31 PM
GTR Member

I don't want a Capri. I want a Lincoln V8 powered, RWD sedan. Plain and simple. If you can't match what the others are doing, you won't be competitive in this market.
Old 10/19/11, 07:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
I don't want a Capri. I want a Lincoln V8 powered, RWD sedan. Plain and simple. If you can't match what the others are doing, you won't be competitive in this market.
That would be a Lincoln Capri

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lincoln_Capri.jpg

Anyway, my idea of a Lincoln line up would be as follows.

A RWD 2dr coupe. Think Lincoln LSC. And done right, with an MT available.

A stylish RWD 2dr/4dr car, something well done and not flashy, would fit where the Capri did in the 1950s.

An upgraded version of the above. (Premier)

A Continental, also RWD

And I suppose an SUV has to be shoved in there somewhere these days, even though I think trucks shouldn't be wearing Lincoln badges.

But that's the easy part. The difficult part is execution. Lincolns are supposed to be more classy than Cadillacs styling wise. In the 1950s when caddys had huge fins and lots of chrome the Continental and Capri were rather clean... at least until '58.

After that comes mechanicals. Todays manufacturing and regulatory environment doesn't all for much in terms of unique platforms. And this is the big problem for Lincoln. Ford may not have the RWD platforms to pull this off. The coupe can be on the mustang platform. The sedan well... maybe the Aussie Falcon? A continental? Probably would need to be unique and thus very expensive. All of course would need unique fitments to make them different. The coupe should have parts that Mustang owners use to mod their cars.

It's a big project.
Old 1/6/12, 06:14 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Lincoln Goes Upscale with Show Stand, Offers Preview Ahead of Detroit

Lincoln is committed to offering the ultimate experience when it represents its home turf at the Detroit show next week, and it’s giving us a little preview of what we can expect to see. And from the looks of it, it’s putting on the ritz. The show stand’s exterior is modeled after upscale retail stores similar to the ones that line Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, and Fifth Avenue in New York. Inside, the stand aims to give off an art gallery vibe, with premium art pieces by Detroit artists decorating the interior and a choreographed soundscape playing throughout. The six Lincoln models on display (MKS, MKT, MKZ and MKZ hybrid, MKX, and Navigator SUV) will also be highlighted alongside the sculptures and abstract art, and a new Lincoln drive control feature will also allow guests to take a ride in the new 2013 MKS on an LED-lit floor that simulates road conditions. MyLincoln touch voice activation capabilities will be also demonstrated in a sound gallery.
Guests can then ascend to the second level that resembles a swanky lounge, complete with plush leather couches and Edsel Ford’s restored 1934 Model 40 Special Speedster that will be on display. Merchandise from the Lincoln Premier Collection will also be available for order by guests. The entire show stand measures 17,752 square feet, which is about 50 percent larger than last year’s show stand.
“This is the biggest statement Lincoln has ever made at an auto show,” says Max Wolff, Lincoln Director of Design. “Our NAIAS display represents more than a vehicle debut. It represents the reinvention of Lincoln.”
Lincoln has expressed it will be stepping it up with the brand’s new design language, but let’s hope an over-the-top stand doesn’t steal the attention away from what it’s supposed to be showcasing: Lincoln cars.
Source: Lincoln
Old 1/8/12, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

zoran, thanks for posting this!

glad we're finally getting a peek at the new dealership layout, I'm really looking forward to Linc's revival now. couple this with great products, lincoln will be on par with the german luxo outfits!