3rd Quarter Earnings Report
-$3 billion operating loss
-Will cut 10% of salaried workers
-Will cut 2,600 more hourly jobs
-Car sales plunge 25%
Old 11/7/08, 05:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What could this mean for the future of our beloved Mustang?
Old 11/7/08, 06:20 AM
Closet American

This kind of a bleed usually precipitates imminent death. Especially given that the current economic doldrums aren't likely to end anytime soon, and in fact, likely to worsen before things get better.

The additional bailout package that the Congress looks willing to give GM and Ford may be their only hope left for survival >>

Old 11/7/08, 06:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Here is a sentence from an article

*Ford announced that some of its vehicle programs will be deferred, although the company described the moves as minor timing changes.*
Old 11/7/08, 06:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
This kind of a bleed usually precipitates imminent death. Especially given that the current economic doldrums aren't likely to end anytime soon, and in fact, likely to worsen before things get better.

The additional bailout package that the Congress looks willing to give GM and Ford may be their only hope left for survival >>
I think Ford will be fine, and indeed would be so even without the the aid package, if the economic downturn ends in relatively short order. However, as we've discussed before I think GM is in far worse shape and at this point am uncertain whether GM can remain viable for much longer even if the economy does indeed rebound quickly and they get the aid package. In fact, at this point, given what I have seen in your posts, I think you suspect what I do which is that GM is already a 'dead man walking'. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 11/7/08, 07:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsaylor
I think Ford will be fine, and indeed would be so even without the the aid package, if the economic downturn ends in relatively short order. However, as we've discussed before I think GM is in far worse shape and at this point am uncertain whether GM can remain viable for much longer even if the economy does indeed rebound quickly and they get the aid package. In fact, at this point, given what I have seen in your posts, I think you suspect what I do which is that GM is already a 'dead man walking'. I hope I'm wrong.
It will be utter chaos if any of the manufacturers go under. They all use a lot of the same suppliers. Toyota, Subaru, Mazda will not be immune. Countless others will be in trouble too.
Old 11/7/08, 07:24 AM

It's not quite as bad as it seems.

From Autoblog: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/07/f...n-and-job-cut/

"Ford Motor Company this morning announced a third quarter loss of $129 million and pre-tax loss of $2.7 billion if we're not counting special items like $2 billion in savings from shifting responsibility for retiree health care to the UAW-run VEBA account. Ford, however, says it remains on track with its turnaround plan and has $18.9 billion in cash on hand, lines of credit worth $10.7 billion and overall liquidity of $29.6 billion."
Old 11/7/08, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Its not just Ford. Unemployment figures are due out today. What industry isn't laying workers off? I knew when big, U.S. owned companies took manufacturing overseas or just sold themselves to foreign ownership, we, as Americans, were in deep trouble. Nope, Ford is not alone.
Old 11/7/08, 07:54 AM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

ford is actually the healthiest of the big three
Old 11/7/08, 08:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MBK
Agreed, you wont see Ford go under until GM and DC get into more trouble.
Old 11/7/08, 09:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chrysler is in DEEP water right now. Cerberus got way in over their head, with that purchase, and they want out NOW! I know from 1st hand account that floor traffic isn't anywhere near what it used to be, and people are downright scared right now to spend ANY money! They don't know what is going to happen.
Old 11/7/08, 12:20 PM

I live in the west suburbs of Chicago. We've lost 2 Dodge dealers within 5 miles of me, both closed over a year ago. We lost a couple of Lincoln/Mercury dealers too, and I understand that Ford is trying to thin out the heard as there are 11 Ford dealers in a 10 mile radius. The sad thing is the smaller, high quality dealers will close while the high volume low service dealers will stay open. Most of the GM dealers are combining Buick/Cadillac/Pontiac dealers.

I'm no fan of Chrysler but they have a place in the industry. I'd hate to see them gobbled up by GM.
Old 11/7/08, 01:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by MBK
In terms of liquidity, yes. Ford, GM, and Chrysler are really in a tough rut. This economy is only going to get worse before it gets better. Bankruptcy might be a good option in dealing with the UAW. Getting rid of the UAW is a start in returning to black.
Old 11/7/08, 01:58 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why is this in here?
Old 11/7/08, 03:11 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
In terms of liquidity, yes. Ford, GM, and Chrysler are really in a tough rut. This economy is only going to get worse before it gets better. Bankruptcy might be a good option in dealing with the UAW. Getting rid of the UAW is a start in returning to black.
No, it is not.
Old 11/7/08, 03:15 PM

Was thinking the same thing myself. This isn't really related to 2010 in much of any shape.
Old 11/7/08, 03:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's makes sense to slowwwwwwwwwwww down certain things and products.
Old 11/7/08, 03:55 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by jsaylor
I think GM is in far worse shape and at this point am uncertain whether GM can remain viable for much longer even if the economy does indeed rebound quickly and they get the aid package. In fact, at this point, given what I have seen in your posts, I think you suspect what I do which is that GM is already a 'dead man walking'. I hope I'm wrong.
I agree that GM is a "dead man walking" in its current form - I think the cave paintings on the wall clearly indicate that. I think where I may differ from you is that I don't believe GM will go away entirely. I think it will secure protections, secure more funding (probably Federal) and emerge on the other side of this downturn as a much smaller, tightly focused company. There is still plenty of brand equity in cars like Corvette and marques like Cadillac...especially now, when both are better than ever.
Old 11/7/08, 03:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Why is this in here?
SRSLY
Old 11/7/08, 04:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
No, it is not.
No it's not to what?