Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Ford Plunges to 23rd in Auto-Quality Survey

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/11 | 04:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ford and BMW seem to have more in common, customers with too much tech in the car
Old 6/23/11 | 04:45 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
I understand how people can be morons, but in the words of Dr. Stephen Covey, we should "make technology (our) slave and not (our) master". One of my pet peeves is how the human element is overlooked in the DESIGN and execution of such technology as we are discussing here.

In the business world I get so tired of IT telling the business what it can and can't do instead of IT serving the business' needs. It's like the tail wagging the dog.

How to operate something like MyTouch should be INTUITIVE & flexible for the vast majority of drivers. Let's face it, it's simply a surrogate in many ways to the manual controls of the past. At least for us old timers.

OK, rant over. I feel better now...
Yep, what he said!!
Old 6/23/11 | 04:57 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
I understand how people can be morons, but in the words of Dr. Stephen Covey, we should "make technology (our) slave and not (our) master". One of my pet peeves is how the human element is overlooked in the DESIGN and execution of such technology as we are discussing here.

In the business world I get so tired of IT telling the business what it can and can't do instead of IT serving the business' needs. It's like the tail wagging the dog.

How to operate something like MyTouch should be INTUITIVE & flexible for the vast majority of drivers. Let's face it, it's simply a surrogate in many ways to the manual controls of the past. At least for us old timers.

OK, rant over. I feel better now...
There is a reason for this. You can't make a computer to be able to think like a human. Atleast not for the amount of money people are willing to pay for such technology.

Let me ask you whats easyer and more cost effective. The user to remember a single command for a single operation? Or trying to program all the different slangs and things people might happen to say to get that operation to work?

How much money would take to figure out all the phrases that anyone would use in the world and to program all of that in there, and then make sure that the phonics don't sound like another slang for a completly different command?

And if you really don't want voice commands you don't even have to use them, you can press the screen just like you had buttons before. There is a bit of delay in the presses but again, would you rather pay a ton extra for a faster processer rather then just understand that it works that way?

Sorry for the rant. There is so much more to explain but I will stop now.
Old 6/23/11 | 05:10 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Java2011Mustang
If one spends too much time accepting awards rather than ensuring your managers are keeping you informed on all the quality issues, that could result in a decline in quality.

I do find it interesting that during the time last year and this year Mulally was accepting various awards on quality and profitability, these issues that are being reported on today were actually occurring.
Mulally's fault?? lol

Let's see, how many new products (engines/transmissions) are simultaneously being introduced during the time frame you cite? That part of the cycle is always problematic. Just like the end of the cycle (when all the bugs have been indentified and fixed) result in stronger profits and awards.

Part of a CEO's job is to promote the company. Accepting awards increases visibility, shareholder awareness, and employee morale. All of which are vital to a company's present and future success.

As for SYNC/MyTouch crap, screw that. I drive my Bullitt to get away from computer screens and techno bugs.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/23/11 at 06:43 PM.
Old 6/23/11 | 06:35 PM
Post *****

Moving to 'Other Fords' section, but will leave a link for tonight . . .
Old 6/23/11 | 08:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SoFlo Mustang
It was sarcasm...
Based on the reply, I don't think it was meant that way.

If one spends too much time accepting awards rather than ensuring your managers are keeping you informed on all the quality issues, that could result in a decline in quality.
I don't believe it is simple as one individual not monitoring status (which he undoubtedly gets) that would cause a decline. In an organization as large as Ford, designing, engineering, and manufacturing something with a long lead time that is subject to high degree of regulation, trying to react to market forces in short timeframes is going to be a challenge.

I do find it interesting that during the time last year and this year Mulally was accepting various awards on quality and profitability, these issues that are being reported on today were actually occurring.
One has to consider the measurement cycles, along with the product refreshes and the cadence of when they are released - this is a matter of timing.

Maybe awards don't have anything to do with it but it seems this has caught Ford by surprise and I have to wonder why so many problems have slipped out to consumers rather than be caught by testing and internal quality control? Anyone familiar with the 2011+ clutch and MT-82 transmission issues are probably asking the same thing ...
Based on what was provided in the report, one might surmise that the rate of feature changes and powertrain updates, especially in response to fuel economy concerns, might be an issue. However, when one specifically looks at the lead time to plan for these updates, secure suppliers, perform all the necessary testing from engineering to production release, all while shrinking the company and timing the release to meet projected demand, it would seem AMAZING that vehicles come together as they do.

The clutch and MT-82 issues might have been symptomatic of operating in the complex environment Ford must manage today. Of course, I think that these issues must be addressed quickly and fully.

I also think surveys that characterizes info-technology features as "problems" because people aren't understanding them well are somewhat misleading...especially when consumers want those things.

Last edited by Tony Alonso; 6/23/11 at 08:49 PM.
Old 6/23/11 | 10:10 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by RMS70
Don't blame Ford for MyFord being to complcated. Blame the lazy, ignorant customers that refuse to read the manual on how to operate it.
This isn't Germany you know - and thats a no BS'er Americans by and large like intuitive easy to operate equipment unlike say the Germans who have no problem reading through an owners manual that dwarfs an abridged dictionary with complex controls that make operating an SR-71 childs play by comparison.

You can call people dumb, stupid, lazy, deformed, inbred or whatever but when those dumb stupid lazy deformed inbred people make a majority, you had best cater your product to them or risk slipping 23 spots in a JD Powers survey.
Old 6/24/11 | 10:27 AM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by bob
You can call people dumb, stupid, lazy, deformed, inbred or whatever but when those dumb stupid lazy deformed inbred people make a majority, you had best cater your product to them or risk slipping 23 spots in a JD Powers survey.
now that`s funny rite there .and i dont even own a new ford ..
Old 6/26/11 | 09:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here is ignorant for you. My wife has a 2011 Edge which now has 300 miles on it. Bought it 2 weeks ago. The MyTouch screen didn't come on the other day.

Take it to the dealer and the guy says that the PHONE is the problem. She has a Droid.

Turns out it was not the phone. There is a TSB and a software upgrade.

That's not user error.