Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Ford Fiesta Pics

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/08, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Fiesta Pics

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/14/g...verve-but-you/

Man, that looks great for a small car -- sharp, sophisticated and exciting all at once. Hardly your usual ungainly penalty, errr, econo box.

Ford should bring that here untouched by the usual insipid modifications for the American market, i.e., add tawdry glitch and flash while emasculating the performance and handling. Article says that maybe we'll only get a four-door sedan, which I'm sure will be fine, and not the sharp three-door shown here too, a reflection of American's unreasoning aversion to hatchbacks.

Wonder what the performance variants might be and whether they'll make it across the pond too?
Old 2/14/08, 05:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The latest info is that we'll only get the Fiesta with the Rocam engines currently produced in Brazil. In essence these are simplified, less expensive versions of the Zetec four cylinder. Cast iron block, chain driven camshaft, and a SOHC with 8-valves instead of the familiar 16v, DOHC arrangement.

Don't let the above get you down, before people start bemoaning this engine it does have it's advantages. First of all, the torque curve is fantastic across the board in Rocam engines, due in large part to the roller finger camshaft design from which the engine borrows its name. The current 1.6L Rocam used in the Sportka produces about 100lb-ft tq at 2500rpm. For reference the 16 valve 1.5L unit in the Hodna Fit has a torque peak of 105lb-ft which doesn't show up until 4800rpm. For a four banger displacing so little the Rocam is none too shabby here, and since our Rocam is likely to be a little larger that number should improve. The engine is also dead nuts reliable and nearly bulletproof even with fairly serious mods, the latter being something which could never really be said of the old Zetec.

Good mileage, inexpensive to build and maintain, extremely reliable, great torque and respectable mod-ability. All around I think the Rocam makes a respectable showing and should serve just fine under the hood of the Fiesta.
Old 2/14/08, 05:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd like to see a 1 liter ecoboost twin turbo...
Old 2/14/08, 05:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ford's working on 2 small EcoBoost engines:

1.0L I3 Turbo-110hp/125ftlb
1.6L I4 Turbo-180hp/190ft lb
Old 2/14/08, 05:55 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Can't wait to see it in the States.
Old 2/14/08, 06:12 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood Gt in January
Here's the problem: The exterior looks 95% ready for prime-time just like it is now - yet Ford refers to it as a concept, which suggests to me that it will be significantly dumbed down.
NOPE!!!
Old 2/14/08, 06:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bring it...

3 door & 5 door, It 'll sell!!
Attached Thumbnails Ford Fiesta Pics-ford-fiesta-2.jpg  
Old 2/14/08, 07:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Topnotch
3 door & 5 door, It 'll sell!!

I love it! if it runs 1/2 as good and reliable as my '97 Aspire has been, I am a guaranteed buyer!

I have owned my Aspire since 30K miles, just turned 117K today and it has needed no major repair!
Old 2/14/08, 07:20 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

So is Fiesta based on new Mazda2?

I like new Mazda2 much more.
Old 2/14/08, 08:23 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Moosetang
NOPE!!!
Cross your fingers that they don't change a whisker before it gets across the pond.

But don't hold your breath.
Old 2/15/08, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Cross your fingers that they don't change a whisker before it gets across the pond.

But don't hold your breath.
Never underestimate Ford of NA's ability to cheese out an excellent design with tacky flash to better appeal to "American tastes."
Old 2/15/08, 10:59 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Never underestimate Ford of NA's ability to cheese out an excellent design with tacky flash to better appeal to "American tastes."
What!? No hatchback for NA market? And heaven forbid the same team that "re-styled" the Focus gets their filthy hands on this one to better "appeal to American tastes"... chrome "vents" on the fenders, anyone?

Ford has a chance to make a B-segment car that is actually appealing - haven't seen one yet that I would consider, especially from a US manufacturer. Please, Ford, don't $#^& this up.
Old 2/16/08, 02:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by hi5.0
What!? No hatchback for NA market? And heaven forbid the same team that "re-styled" the Focus gets their filthy hands on this one to better "appeal to American tastes"... chrome "vents" on the fenders, anyone?

Ford has a chance to make a B-segment car that is actually appealing - haven't seen one yet that I would consider, especially from a US manufacturer. Please, Ford, don't $#^& this up.
According to Igor on BON, the NAIAS Verve Concept will be how the FNA Fiesta will look:

It appears that FNA may be getting this one right!
Old 2/16/08, 02:28 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by TomServo92
According to Igor on BON, the NAIAS Verve Concept will be how the FNA Fiesta will look:

It appears that FNA may be getting this one right!
Except inevitably toned down a bit. Still, if they keep 85% of what we see there, it's a big for Ford North America.
Old 2/16/08, 03:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Except inevitably toned down a bit. Still, if they keep 85% of what we see there, it's a big for Ford North America.
Of course. It will be toned down in much the same way that the green hatch above is toned down.

Igor also said that the interior will identical (design and materials) but he did say that the FNA Fiesta will likely get more cupholders (apparantely that's important for the NA market).

Igor is usually right on most things. I hope he's right on this.
Old 2/16/08, 09:04 PM
Closet American

I'm just wondering if this is going to encroach on Focus sales (given the new Focus that's coming)...

Still, the following passenger car lineup would be good >>

- New Taurus (Mulally says the next one is a real looker...would be nice if it incorporated more 427/Interceptor design language).

- Mondeo (Fusion and Mondeo are likely to "fuse" more closely together in global platform anyway...why not drop Fusion name and just make it the Mondeo, using the same global manufacturing strategy being employed with the Fiesta - even if it means building it in Mexico).

- New Focus (long time coming but will be good when it gets here).

- New Fiesta.

- And of course Mustang will remain unique to North America as far as design and manufacturing is concerned (likely moving a bit more upscale in engineering and refinement itself).

Nothing wrong with that passenger car lineup, me thinks.
Old 2/16/08, 09:28 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Even best selling small cars, such as Toyota Yaris and Nissan Versa, sell only ~80,000 so I don't think that will affect Focus sales.
Old 2/17/08, 08:13 PM
FR500 Member

If that Fiesta hatchback pics is considered toned down, it bodes well. I just don't understand America's aversion to the hatchback body style - IMO, the hatchback looks better than the Verve 4 door concept.
Old 2/17/08, 08:50 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

If that Fiesta hatchback pics is considered toned down, it bodes well. I just don't understand America's aversion to the hatchback body style - IMO, the hatchback looks better than the Verve 4 door concept.
You haven't heard people at a dealership ***** about hatches. Ugh. One of the things I don't miss about my stint in Mazda sales.
Old 2/17/08, 10:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

This is the Verve concept:

This is the Fiesta:

They're very close but the Fiesta is toned down a bit in comparison to the concept.

Quick Reply: Ford Fiesta Pics