Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Ford Explorer America Concept

Old 1/8/08, 05:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Some one should take some pictures of the underside.
Old 1/8/08, 10:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
I liked the Reflex, too. Didn't build it.

I really liked the 427 concept. Didn't build it.

I liked the Interceptor concept. Whoops, didn't build that either.

Ford's strategy is beginning to remind me of a Britney Spears song.

Oops!... I Did It Again.
Old 1/9/08, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TomServo92
Lame? Is that so? I spend ALOT of time on BON and have read and posted in all the Explorer America threads. Blue II said "D3". He didn't elaborate on whether it was FWD or not. Since there are already two variations of D3 (Taurus & MKS) and strong indications a RWD D3 variant is in the works, just saying "D3" doesn't mean squat. Furthermore, the concept might ride on D3 but that doesn't the production version will also. Remember, the 2005 Mustang rode on DEW98 but a different platform was developed for production.

There is no indication the Ecoboost engines are RWD capable yet either, so far they've said the MKS, Flex, and Taurus would get them, this RWD D3 is really strange considering they are working on the global RWD platform.

When Blue II was asked if it was GRWD or D3 he said D3 >> http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...dpost&p=281410

Theoldwizard who is a retired Ford employee said it was FWD/AWD, same as current Freestyle here >> http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...dpost&p=281860

It's FWD/AWD. Same "running gear" as the Taurus and Taurus X.

There will be a new RWD platform but it won't be use here. The word has been out for a long time that this Explorer is the last RWD/AWD.
So there are strong indications that it will be FWD/AWD, until we see evidence that it's going to be based on RWD it's only logical to go with what we DO know.

BTW, most of the "insiders" (including Blue II) aren't really "insiders". They just know people that know people etc. At this point, Ford hasn't officially stated what platform it resides on so it's all speculation. For you to claim to be "in the know" based on reading something in an internet forum from "insiders" proves just how lame YOU are.
Blue II has pretty pretty darned accurate, and it's funny considering how I'm basing my opinion that it will be FWD on the FACT that the current D3 chassis is FWD, and you're basing your opinion about it being RWD on the rumor from a source that you just questioned his crediblity.

We all hope it comes out on a RWD based chassis, getting up in arms over our hopes and internet speculation is not worth it..
Old 1/9/08, 07:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
suicide doors on the passenger side, but normal ones on the driver's side?
Old 1/9/08, 07:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want a concept bronco with a diesel and a stick shift
Old 1/9/08, 07:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Black331
Blue II has pretty pretty darned accurate, and it's funny considering how I'm basing my opinion that it will be FWD on the FACT that the current D3 chassis is FWD, and you're basing your opinion about it being RWD on the rumor from a source that you just questioned his crediblity.
You conveniently glossed over this part of my post:

At this point, Ford hasn't officially stated what platform it resides on so it's all speculation.
You state things as facts. I state them as speculation. Get over yourself.

Oh yeah....almost forgot...Blue II just posted on BON that the next Taurus will be RWD.
Old 1/15/08, 01:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Here's another interesting tidbit regarding the next gen in Explorer in this thread on BON. It seems the Explorer America concept is to gauge public reaction to the styling and the idea of a uni-body Explorer. The platform the concept sits on has NOTHING to do with what will underpin the next Explorer. In fact, they mention that the Explorer and the Aussie Territory (which is RWD) might share the same underpinnings with a different body.

I guess wasn't off that far after all now was I?
Old 1/16/08, 01:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Here's another interesting tidbit regarding the next gen in Explorer in this thread on BON. It seems the Explorer America concept is to gauge public reaction to the styling and the idea of a uni-body Explorer. The platform the concept sits on has NOTHING to do with what will underpin the next Explorer. In fact, they mention that the Explorer and the Aussie Territory (which is RWD) might share the same underpinnings with a different body.

I guess wasn't off that far after all now was I?
Production cars are rarely based on what a concept was built off of, the point is that the insiders have told us it will be FWD D3, now hopefully they are wrong and Ford bases it off the territory which makes sense as far as platform sharing goes. I don't know why you'd insinuate anybody thought the production chassis had anything to do with the concept, I think you just like to argue..
Old 1/16/08, 06:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Production cars are rarely based on what a concept was built off of, the point is that the insiders have told us it will be FWD D3, now hopefully they are wrong and Ford bases it off the territory which makes sense as far as platform sharing goes. I don't know why you'd insinuate anybody thought the production chassis had anything to do with the concept, I think you just like to argue..
Whatever....I guess I just read things differently than you.
Old 1/16/08, 06:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

BTW, the new "Explorer" will be FWD D3, just a re-styled Taurus X.

So technically the Explorer is getting the axe, and the TX is getting a new name...
THIS is where I get that you are stating rumors as facts. Did I read that wrong?
Old 1/18/08, 07:28 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There is no indication the Ecoboost engines are RWD capable yet either, so far they've said the MKS, Flex, and Taurus would get them, this RWD D3 is really strange considering they are working on the global RWD platform.
The 3.5 TwinF...I mean...EcoBoost was tested in the F-150 and will no doubt arrive in it later...

So RWD on that engine..yes...
IIRC it was designed for FWD, AWD, RWD in mind
Old 1/22/08, 09:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

this RWD D3 is really strange considering they are working on the global RWD platform.
Wow, some really interesting info in post #6 from Igor:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...howtopic=20405

Old 1/22/08, 10:19 AM
Closet American

Wow, some really interesting info in post #6 from Igor:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...howtopic=20405

Fingers crossed that it really is new...and that it's good.

Interesting quote on that forum page from someone >> Mulally previously did say that new Taurus is really a looker...
Old 1/22/08, 12:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Fingers crossed that it really is new...and that it's good.

Interesting quote on that forum page from someone >> Mulally previously did say that new Taurus is really a looker...
Someone else posted (and I don't know if they have inside info or they're just speculating) that it will incorporate some of the kinetic design language from Europe.
Old 1/22/08, 07:32 PM
Closet American

Someone else posted (and I don't know if they have inside info or they're just speculating) that it will incorporate some of the kinetic design language from Europe.
Taurus, meet Iosis.

I can dream.
Old 1/22/08, 08:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Taurus, meet Iosis.

I can dream.
Old 1/22/08, 08:22 PM
Closet American

That'd work.