GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
280hp out of a 2.0? WOW
Old 1/6/08, 07:57 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05MustangFanII
280hp out of a 2.0? WOW
Yeah, credit where credit is due: that IS impressive, to say the least.
Old 1/6/08, 09:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Yeah, credit where credit is due: that IS impressive, to say the least.
What's more impressive is the flat torque curve. Watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgilKUwMl2A
Old 1/7/08, 12:10 AM
GT Member

That Ecoboost Taurus was mean sounding.

EcoBoost Focus FTMFW
Old 1/7/08, 05:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Great. Add it to the long list of other concepts this company will never build, leastwise not anything like what you see above.

Either way: Escape, Edge, Taurus X, Flex, Expedition...Mariner, MKX, Mountaineer, Navigator.

Anyone think we need another 'truck'?
Ford is now a FWD crossover company, F-150, Mustang, and Super duty will be next to move to D3..
Old 1/7/08, 05:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Merged Threads . . .

Some highlights that are of interest.

All great, great "stuff" . . . does it need to be in the Explorer nameplate? Maybe, maybe not. I'd rather see the above in a sedan application, and leave the Explorer to a body-on-frame application. I actually used my past Explorer to camp, trail ride, etc. I suppose given that I didn't "push" the 4x4 to the limits a unibody would be sufficient, but I agree, how many darn unibody SUV, Crossovers does FMC need?

I do (as with most FMC concepts) like this Explorer Concept. I'd give this a look if I were in the market and it stayed true to concept version.
Well said, Ford ignores their cars (All 4 of them), and all that for only a 150 pound weight loss? Destroying the Explorer by making it another D3 CUV? It just doesn't make sense..

I've been off-road in Explorers too, more people go off-road than Ford thinks, lots of people need the capability when they go into the mountains, go camping, dirt bike riding, etc..

It's another huge segment they are giving away to Toyota (4Runner), and Nissan (Pathfinder).
Old 1/7/08, 06:00 AM
Bullitt Member

BTW, the new "Explorer" will be FWD D3, just a re-styled Taurus X.

So technically the Explorer is getting the axe, and the TX is getting a new name...
Old 1/7/08, 07:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black331

So technically the Explorer is getting the axe, and the TX is getting a new name...
Actually its not just going to be a "Taurus X" restyle. Go onto Blueovalnews.com and read the posts there. VERY interesting info from Igor, who is mostly right with his information.
Old 1/7/08, 10:10 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Geez, you should work for this presidential administration, I've never seen such a vast amount of disinformation in so little space.

The TX is a Taurus wagon. The Explorer America is an all-new vehicle based on the D3 platform. Its not a rebadge, its not a restyle, it used the same basic starting point to create something completely new.
Old 1/7/08, 07:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Actually its not just going to be a "Taurus X" restyle. Go onto Blueovalnews.com and read the posts there. VERY interesting info from Igor, who is mostly right with his information.
I don't need to go there since I've always been there, it's going to be a FWD D3, as stated there.
Old 1/7/08, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Geez, you should work for this presidential administration, I've never seen such a vast amount of disinformation in so little space.

The TX is a Taurus wagon. The Explorer America is an all-new vehicle based on the D3 platform. Its not a rebadge, its not a restyle, it used the same basic starting point to create something completely new.
It' the very same car underneath, same FWD D3 chassis, only the looks differ, which is why I correctly stated it's a re-styled TX. It may look "Explorerish", but it has more in common with a Ridgeline than a real Explorer.

Should Ford make the next Mustang a FWD D3 too? Would it be a Mustang as long as it looked like one?
Old 1/7/08, 07:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It' the very same car underneath, same FWD D3 chassis
Prove it.
Old 1/7/08, 09:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't see why it wouldn't be RWD. A few modifications to the platform and you got RWD. The D3 is already AWD capable so it should be easy.
Old 1/7/08, 09:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight
I don't see why it wouldn't be RWD. A few modifications to the platform and you got RWD. The D3 is already AWD capable so it should be easy.
As a matter of fact, there were very strong rumors on BON (confirmed by some of the Ford insiders) that Ford was working on a RWD variation of D3. For all we know, GRWD might be based on D3.
Old 1/7/08, 10:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TomServo92
As a matter of fact, there were very strong rumors on BON (confirmed by some of the Ford insiders) that Ford was working on a RWD variation of D3. For all we know, GRWD might be based on D3.
If they could make the Focus RWD like they did with the Focus RS8 concept, shouldn't be too hard for a D3 based Explorer.
Old 1/8/08, 08:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TomServo92
Prove it.
What a lame thing to say, go read the threads on BON from the "insiders" who clearly state it's FWD D3.
Old 1/8/08, 08:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

What a lame thing to say, go read the threads on BON from the "insiders" who clearly state it's FWD D3.
Lame? Is that so? I spend ALOT of time on BON and have read and posted in all the Explorer America threads. Blue II said "D3". He didn't elaborate on whether it was FWD or not. Since there are already two variations of D3 (Taurus & MKS) and strong indications a RWD D3 variant is in the works, just saying "D3" doesn't mean squat. Furthermore, the concept might ride on D3 but that doesn't the production version will also. Remember, the 2005 Mustang rode on DEW98 but a different platform was developed for production.

BTW, most of the "insiders" (including Blue II) aren't really "insiders". They just know people that know people etc. At this point, Ford hasn't officially stated what platform it resides on so it's all speculation. For you to claim to be "in the know" based on reading something in an internet forum from "insiders" proves just how lame YOU are.
Old 1/8/08, 10:25 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

And even if it is FWD B3, that down not mean "its the same car underneath" when compared to a Taurus X. Your theory that the Explorer is somehow a TX with a new body is completely wrong, a shared platform dosn't mean a common vehicle. I defy you to skin an XC90, Taurus X, Flex, last-gen S80, last-gen V70, and XC70 and find them to be the "same car underneath."
Old 1/8/08, 02:45 PM
GT Member

On the topic of Insiders....Igor FTW
Old 1/8/08, 05:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i think it looks funky but i like it a lot

Quick Reply: Ford Explorer America Concept