Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/05, 12:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Having evacuated from the path of Rita two weeks ago, I realized my Mazda6 isn't large enough to transport my family and enough belongings and supplies to last for an extended stay away from home (sadly, this also means a new Mustang is out until I can afford to have a second '"fun" car). I've begun considering a small SUV. Since I get X-plan, I want to stay in the Ford family. The Explorer doesn't appeal to me (although I haven't seen an '06 yet) so I was considering an Escape or Mariner (or possibly a Freestyle if they'll be offering a more powerful engine in the future). I would appreciate any comments from previous or current owners of any of these vehicles.
Old 10/6/05, 02:02 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you really think Escape/Mariner have enough space? I mean, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but if I was in same situation you're I would look for a truck. I'm not sure if Ford still offers discounts, but when I bought my F-150 I got it for $21,000 (MSRP was $29,000). Extended version, 4x4, V8 ... doesn't get any better than that. It still have a lot more room than Escape/Mariner. Only problem might be fuel economy which is pretty low (mine gets around 12 MPG).
Old 10/6/05, 02:04 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I love my wife's Escape. It has an incredibly smooth ride and great feel, as well as a good deal of cargo space and comfortable seating for 4 1/2.
Old 10/6/05, 02:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Red Star@October 6, 2005, 3:05 PM
Do you really think Escape/Mariner have enough space? I mean, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but if I was in same situation you're I would look for a truck. I'm not sure if Ford still offers discounts, but when I bought my F-150 I got it for $21,000 (MSRP was $29,000). Extended version, 4x4, V8 ... doesn't get any better than that. It still have a lot more room than Escape/Mariner. Only problem might be fuel economy which is pretty low (mine gets around 12 MPG).
I need a good compromise of space and fuel efficiency. Like you said, an F150 (or an Expedition) has a lots of space but isn't very fuel efficient. I have no doubt an Escape has more usable space than my Mazda.
Old 10/6/05, 02:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by TheMustangSource@October 6, 2005, 3:07 PM
I love my wife's Escape. It has an incredibly smooth ride and great feel, as well as a good deal of cargo space and comfortable seating for 4 1/2.
That sounds great Brad. I think I'll miss the excellent handling of my 6 but the safety of my family has to come first ("the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few")
Old 10/6/05, 03:26 PM
Cobra R Member

you can probably guess what i'm gonna say...
GET THE HYBRID!
Old 10/6/05, 04:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

I must say that the Hybrid's performance is right on par with the V6 but for the extra cost I would stick with the V6. Plus you have a better towing capacity with the V6 and a class II hitch than the Hybrid does at 1500 lbs.
Old 10/6/05, 04:58 PM
Bullitt Member

my dad just bought a mariner like 3 months ago...an upgrade from his escape which the lease was up. Honestly, both trucks were my second favorite car to drive aside from my own. for a truck, they ride amazingly smooth, loads-o-room (trust me on that one) we've done a few "away from home trips." The only difference from the escape to the mariner is that the mariner is much more refined. Both were V6's and ill tell you they both have great pickup, both off the light and for passing on the highway. Oh yeh and not that im proud or anything, one night i borrowed his escape, and just happended to SMOKE my friend in her Mazda6 off the light.....just food for thought. Good luck
Old 10/7/05, 06:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@October 6, 2005, 4:29 PM
you can probably guess what i'm gonna say...
GET THE HYBRID!
Unfortunately, X-plan doesn't apply to the hybrid.
Old 10/7/05, 06:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by cheech6g@October 6, 2005, 6:01 PM
my dad just bought a mariner like 3 months ago...an upgrade from his escape which the lease was up. Honestly, both trucks were my second favorite car to drive aside from my own. for a truck, they ride amazingly smooth, loads-o-room (trust me on that one) we've done a few "away from home trips." The only difference from the escape to the mariner is that the mariner is much more refined. Both were V6's and ill tell you they both have great pickup, both off the light and for passing on the highway. Oh yeh and not that im proud or anything, one night i borrowed his escape, and just happended to SMOKE my friend in her Mazda6 off the light.....just food for thought. Good luck
Well, I don't really care of the Escape is faster than a Mazda6 or not. That's not the reason I'm interested. But I am curious: what engine/tranny combination did the Mazda have?
Old 10/7/05, 07:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Mark, you can't go wrong with either the Escape/Mariner, OR the 2006 Explorer. I say the 2006 Explorer, as it is FAR nicer than the 2005 it replaces. Much quieter, upgreaded interior with new seats, dash, everything, with the shifter on the center console (finally, lol), newer styling, and if the 3rd row seats mean anything to you, they are now 50/50 split, AND truely fold flat, not on an angle like the 2002-2005's. PLUS, the V8 is from the Mustang, 292hp. This thing moves, lol!! Plus some may say to you, a V8 takes way more gas than the V6, but that isn't really true anymore, as the difference is only about 1 MPG. The only real problem, the Explorer is several thousands more than the Escape, but there are rebates on them currently.

I drove an Escape for my company demo in '04, and an '05, and LOVED it. Plenty of space, great handling, excellent pickup. When you go to the dealer check out both the 06 Explorer XLT and the Escape. Drive them both, and see what you think. Good luck. Let us know how you made out.
Old 10/7/05, 07:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Jeff,

I had planned on looking at the '06 Explorer but I really believe it's more than I want to spend. It may be a couple of weeks before I actually start looking since I still have some hurricane related things to take care of but I'll let you know how things work out.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 10/7/05, 09:47 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@October 7, 2005, 7:17 AM
Jeff,

I had planned on looking at the '06 Explorer but I really believe it's more than I want to spend. It may be a couple of weeks before I actually start looking since I still have some hurricane related things to take care of but I'll let you know how things work out.

Thanks for all the input!
Personally the Explorer is going to be my next demo as soon as I get to park my Super Duty diesel. This new Explorer is a wonderful vehicle as far as looks, ride, handling, and compfort. The Escape is as good as there is in it's class but I would not buy the Hybrid. If you get in an accident [God forbid], they have to get a haz-mat truck before they can do anything with the vehicle because of the batteries. If you want economy, the performance of the 4 cyl FWd is not much different and it's EPA is within 1 mpg highway. Why spend the extra money , and no rebate?
Old 10/7/05, 10:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

OK, next question: can anyone give me some insight into a Red Carpet Lease? I don't think an Escape would be something I would want to keep long term like a Mustang so I figure I'll be trading again in a few years. I've never leased a vehicle so I really don't know much about how it works.
Old 10/7/05, 11:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by TomServo92@October 7, 2005, 10:42 AM
OK, next question: can anyone give me some insight into a Red Carpet Lease? I don't think an Escape would be something I would want to keep long term like a Mustang so I figure I'll be trading again in a few years. I've never leased a vehicle so I really don't know much about how it works.
Hey Mark, in terms of a lease on an Escape. Ford usually runs lease specials on a few of their "core vehicles", the Explorer, 500, and Escape. I personally can't give you an idea what a lease would run you, as the rebates, and residual values are different for every region of the country. I know right now, the Explorer lease in my area is as good as the Escape lease, as the residual is higher, the rate factory is lower, and the rebate is higher, hence the payment is lower.

I can tell you that if you are looking for a 36 month lease, every $1,000 you put down, to lower the payment, will lower it around $30 per month. A lease is good, only if you can stay within the mileage limits. If you go over, it can add up pretty quick. The 12K will be about $18 per month cheaper (give or take), than the 15K per year. Plus, if you do the 12K per year, you only have to worry about your mantinence and gas, as your be having it only during the warranty timeframe. Definitely check what both vehicles would be on a leaseHope this helps.
Old 10/7/05, 12:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Jeff! :worship:

I'm putting about 18K/year on the Mazda so I'll have to go with a higher mileage limit and most likely have to buy additional miles up front. I'm going explore all options and see what works best for me.
Old 10/7/05, 01:00 PM
Cobra R Member

If you're comparing to a mazda6, i'm sure the 1500lbs towing limit on the hybrid escape won't nix the deal. I mean, 1500lbs is a lot of Spam rations for the next hurricane... but that's too bad about the X-plan deal. I guess the hybrid is kind of a special car that ain't really meeting up with demand just yet.

I think the escape is one of the sweetest SUVs out there though. Totally big enough for most needs. If you're worried about that one trip a year towing the family boat to the country house or something, just rent an F-150 or something.
From a styling point of view, i think its perfectly balanced, very nice design.
Old 10/7/05, 01:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

I guess the hybrid is kind of a special car that ain't really meeting up with demand just yet.
Its actually the opposite. They are in such high demand right now that they are selling for MSRP or more. Eventually they will be offered on X-plan but not while they are doing so well. Dealers are only allocated so many orders for them.
Old 10/7/05, 01:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@October 7, 2005, 2:03 PM
If you're comparing to a mazda6, i'm sure the 1500lbs towing limit on the hybrid escape won't nix the deal. I mean, 1500lbs is a lot of Spam rations for the next hurricane... but that's too bad about the X-plan deal. I guess the hybrid is kind of a special car that ain't really meeting up with demand just yet.

I think the escape is one of the sweetest SUVs out there though. Totally big enough for most needs. If you're worried about that one trip a year towing the family boat to the country house or something, just rent an F-150 or something.
From a styling point of view, i think its perfectly balanced, very nice design.
I really wasn't planning on towing anything anyway. It was interior room that I was more concerned about. The higher MSRP of hybrid plus no x-plan is what kills the deal.

I'm really starting to dig the looks of the Escape Limited. I saw one in black while I was in OK and it looked sharp!
Old 10/7/05, 02:32 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

If you thinking about Escape or Mariner Hybrid, read this story first

Click Me

Quick Reply: Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner