Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Ford 500 Recall

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/05, 03:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This really is not good news. In the midst of GM all but rolling over and dying, while Ford tries despirately to regain market share and profits, there couldn't be worse news. These vehicles coming out are supposed to be the ones that will SAVE THE COMPANY. Instead, they are going to start recalling the cr ap out of them. This kind of thing can kill a company, especially one that's almost on a respirator anyway.

VERY DISAPPOINTING.

:bang:
Old 11/17/05, 09:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@November 17, 2005, 11:52 AM
They also don't tell you if the seriousness of the recall or whether or not it was a voluntary or federal one. Makes a big difference.
I don't see it as a big difference. A recall is a recall. It doesn't matter if the company admitted it on their own, or was forced to admit it, either way, the car is still flawed.

I appreciate when automakers are honest, but that doesn't mean it's a higher quality product.
Old 11/17/05, 09:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I base my opinions mainly on first-hand, personal experience. Of all the cars I've owned over the years, the one that went back to the dealer the most for problems was the 2000 Acura. It went back once for cam seals leaking on the exhaust manifold (a common problem with Honda four-bangers) and twice to have the power antenna replaced. It would have gone back for a fourth visit (tranny not shifting properly) if I hadn't decided to trade it for the Mazda6. I had other complaints about the car such as it rattled very badly and the leather seats showed wear way too early. Do I think Hondas or Acuras are bad cars? Not necessarily but this experience does influence my buying decisions. I've never had a Ford go back to a dealer more than once and some never had to go back at all. Until I have a Ford give me grief, I'll continue to buy them.

Now, that '81 Buick I had was a completely different story. Let's just say I don't shop GM any more...
Old 11/18/05, 07:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Red Star@November 17, 2005, 4:56 PM
Well Andy, neither does J.D. Power and Associates. Remember, that's why I disagreed with their ratings, because they don't tell how serious those problems are. For example, Lexus had 139 problems per 100 vehicles, Lincoln had 151 problems per 100 vehicles, but we never knew how serious those problems were. Could be something simple as flat tire to something serious as transmission problems.
Yes Zoran that is correct, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion on that matter. The same holds true to both spectrums though. You could have a Lexus and a Lincoln and the Lincoln could have say 3 recalls that were minor and the Lexus could have 2 that are huge, like an engine seizure or trans failure.

Not to get into the discussion again but right now TMC's recalls have not been very small frivolous ones but in fact some pretty nasty safety recalls.

Like Mark said, the only way to make your own decision as to what you like better is from personal experience. I have never had to take any of my Ford cars in for a recall nor had anything replaced, except normal wear and tire things, brakes tires, etc. On the other hand I have not had any luck whatsoever with imported companies save for Subaru, which I would buy in a heartbeat. Great cars. Honda, Pontiac, Toyota, and VW I steer away from because of lousy experiences. Although Honda was just a pain because of one simple issue that should have been fixed without question.