Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gonna sell nicely...
Attached Thumbnails Focus Electric...-ev_focus.jpg  
Old 1/7/11, 12:05 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
. . . Looks nice and "clean!"

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/07/2...-ces-unveiled/

The Focus Electric is powered by 100-kilowatt electric motor with a 23-kWh battery, capable of producing 123 horsepower and 181 pound-feet of torque at its peak. Ford says its EV can reach a top speed of 84 miles per hour, and while the official range hasn't been disclosed just yet, we're told it should be able to travel up to 100 miles on a single charge (just like the Leaf). Speaking of charging, Ford says the Focus Electric can be fully charged in just three hours from its 240-volt home-installed charging station, though the car will take up to 20 hours to charge via a standard 120-volt outlet.

What's most interesting, perhaps, is how Ford is prepared to make EV ownership as easy as possible. The two-piece, wall-mounted charging stations can be purchased and installed from the folks at Best Buy, and the automaker has created a new MyFord Mobile app that allows you to monitor and interact with your Focus Electric at all times (click here for our full hands-on experience of the app). What's more, Ford has partnered with Microsoft to offer value charging, a system that "allows our customers to reduce their electricity costs by taking advantage of off-peak or other reduced rates from their utility without a complicated set-up process," the automaker explains.

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 1/7/11 at 12:09 PM.
Old 1/7/11, 12:13 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pairing up w/ best buy is a smart move IMO
Old 1/7/11, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone heard anything about pricing yet? If they make the same mistake as Chevy did with the Volt pricing, I have a feeling it won't sell so well. I'm hoping for a price in the 20's. I do love my internal combustion engines, but if the price is right, and the other costs make sense (we do have cheap electricity here), I might consider one for my wife and I for commuter duty. We drive a combined 60 miles a day, and work split shifts, so we could both drive something like this every day. Personally though, I'd only buy this if it saves me money, not because it is "green" or good for the environment.

Last edited by Ministang; 1/7/11 at 01:54 PM.
Old 1/7/11, 11:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
Anyone heard anything about pricing yet? If they make the same mistake as Chevy did with the Volt pricing, I have a feeling it won't sell so well. I'm hoping for a price in the 20's.
negative, im waiting for this as well...

im hoping by Ford using the new global Focus platform (vs Volt & Leaf using dedicated/specific platform), they start out around $21 - 22k and top out max $30k (& assuming we are able to choose same options as a regular Focus). otherwise, if prices start in the low $30k and reach mid $30k+ Ford will have trouble moving these!!
Old 1/9/11, 02:12 AM
Cobra R Member

I don't imagine Ford would try to sell these for much more than the Leaf, so that would suggest $30K, down to $23K if you include the current federal rebate. In terms of specs and size, it doesn't really offer anything more than the Leaf, it just looks a hell of a lot better!
Being both an EV enthusiast and a die hard Ford fan, I've been waiting for this for a long long time. I'm happy to see Ford's first real production EV seems to be well put together and has a really nice design. The specs are right on, in my opinion. Really, I've always been more convinced by the Volt powertrain over the Leaf, at least in terms of what I would need (a car for me is mostly about fun trips on the weekend), but I think there's definitely plenty of room for 100-mile-range electric vehicles. I still think the Volt's pretty smart for offering the benefits of an EV without any compromise (except price!), but that's where Ford's PHEV will come in eventually.

Anyway, this looks great! My one gripe is that it seems they've taken a chunk out of the trunk space, leaving us without a flat floor, which is a real shame, IMO. Too bad they couldn't have found some room for those batteries under the hood.

Was the new Focus designed from the ground up with this EV in mind? Or had development already gotten under way by the time they decided on the EV?
Old 1/9/11, 03:27 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by mustang_sallad

Was the new Focus designed from the ground up with this EV in mind? Or had development already gotten under way by the time they decided on the EV?
Tough question to answer, from what I can tell the platform was designed to be pretty powertrain-flexible from the get-go but not necessarily BEV. But this EV system was developed first on the old Global Focus and probably was a factor while the gas car was being finalized. Regardless, this looks about as good a marriage of Gas platform and EV drivetrain as you can get for this price at this time.
Old 1/9/11, 03:36 PM
FR500 Member

Best looking electric car so far. I like the front end on this better than the one on the regular version.
Old 1/9/11, 11:18 PM
Bullitt Member

just found this press release on autoblog, new FOcus C-Max Hybrid & Energi:

FORD SUPERCHARGES ELECTRIC VEHICLE PLAN, UNVEILING NEW C-MAX ENERGI AND C-MAX HYBRID PRODUCTS

• Ford will launch C-MAX Energi, its first-ever production plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, and C-MAX Hybrid, a full hybrid variant, in North America in 2012 and Europe in 2013

• Both versions of the five-passenger multi-activity vehicle will leverage the company's global C-car platform, critically acclaimed powersplit hybrid architecture, next-generation driver information features and advanced, lighter and smaller lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery systems

• C-MAX Hybrid is targeted to deliver better miles per gallon than Ford Fusion Hybrid, the most fuel-efficient sedan in America

• C-MAX Energi targets more than 500 miles (800 kilometers) of driving range using the battery and engine, more than any other plug-in or extended-range vehicle. It also targets AT-PZEV status and delivers better charge-sustaining fuel economy than Chevrolet Volt.....
for entire press release click below:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/10/2...brid/#comments