Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Flat Rock plant to produce Ford Fusion this summer (New MKS=RWD?)

Old 5/29/13, 07:35 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Flat Rock plant to produce Ford Fusion this summer (New MKS=RWD?)

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...-Fusion-summer

We all knew the Fusion was moving but this is interesting . . .

The Dearborn automaker next year will start churning out its next-generation Mustang pony car — coinciding with the car’s 50th anniversary — and soon after will prep for production of the next-generation full-size Lincoln MKS, according to union and supplier sources familiar with the company’s plans.
The new Mustang is scheduled to first appear next year, six years after the current generation debuted, according to sources. They say the MKS — Lincoln’s full-size sedan, a critical car to the brand’s hopes of success — will come on line about a year later and will be based on an all-new platform. The MKS will move from Ford’s Chicago Assembly Plant, where it is built alongside two other full-size vehicles, the Ford Taurus car and Explorer SUV.
Old 5/29/13, 08:01 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the link.

Lets hope that "all new plaform" is RWD based...........
Old 5/29/13, 08:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MKS built on extended Fusion/MKZ platform
orrrrrr
MKS built on extended Mustang platform with suicide doors ala Continental...

MKS leaving the Chicago Assembly plant to make room
for the Lincoln Aviator (based off of the next Explorer)
Old 5/29/13, 08:09 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Topnotch
orrrrrr
MKS built on extended Mustang platform with suicide doors ala Continental...

Old 5/29/13, 08:25 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice.
Old 5/29/13, 09:33 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, with the MKS moving, does that mean the Taurus may follow suit? Also, with the Australia rumors of Ford closing down production, could we see the Taurus go RWD, along with the MKS, and become the replacement for the Falcon? Could we see the CD4 platform support a RWD vehicle? It raises a lot of interesting questions.

I think moving the MKS, MKZ, and rumored RWD Lincoln coupe to Flat Rock, alongside Mustang, would be a reasonable decision. Even if there are two different chassis being used, the plant could easily support it.
Old 5/29/13, 11:19 AM
GTR Member

How respected is the Taurus nameplate in the US? How about dropping that, and calling its replacement Falcon? It could then be exported to Australia, and Europe, assuming the new platform really does support RHD.

Wouldn't it be a delicious irony if 50 (something) years after Falcon gave its underpinnings to support the Mustang, the opposite was to happen and Mustang supports and all-new Falcon?

Mustang, Lincoln (saloon/coupe) and Falcon..........all off the same RWD chassis. Can dreams come true?
Old 5/29/13, 11:52 AM
GTR Member

From Jalopnik........

http://jalopnik.com/is-this-proof-th...ng-b-510259503

As Karl Henkel reports this morning, the ever popular Ford Fusion will start production this August in the Flat Rock plant, meaning it'll be possible to buy a Fusion not built in Mexico.
Currently, the facility builds the Ford Mustang.
What's interesting in this article is the mention of a few more vehicles. Ford will probably make the next generation Ford Mustang there and will definitely make the next generation full-size Lincoln MKS at Flat Rock.10
We know for sure that they're moving the MKS from the Chicago Assembly plant where they build the Taurus and Explorer, all of which are built on the same FWD/AWD platform.
Now we can use this information for some mostly unsupported wild speculation based on very few facts and talking to almost nobody:
Assuming the MKS isn't built on a Fusion platform, is it possible they'll build an MKS on the new Mustang platform? It's a crazy, crazy thought but the new 'Stang is going to have an IRS for the first time ever...
The alternative is that they build three separate platforms at Flat Rock or, perhaps more likely, base the MKS on the Fusion platform and stretch it out, a la the Azera and Impala
Old 5/29/13, 11:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Taurus will probably stay FWD/AWD...if/when it does go global.
Sales of RWD Large sedans are dwindling worldwide...We all say we'd buy one but CUV/SUV's always win out in the showroom. There is a niche for large RWD sedans like the Charger/300/SS but they have limited buyers.
Lincoln could have it's own shared RWD platform to compete against BMW/MB/Infiniti/Lexus. All in the price of admission. If Lincoln can sweep up in China....the rest of Asia will want in on it...including Australia. Flex may be gone soon...MKT will most likely follow when the Aviator re-enters production.
Old 5/29/13, 02:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
How respected is the Taurus nameplate in the US? How about dropping that, and calling its replacement Falcon? It could then be exported to Australia, and Europe, assuming the new platform really does support RHD.
The North American market got the Taurus nameplate back because it had strong brand awareness. The Ford Five Hundred became the Taurus because of that. Fewer people here would know about "Falcon" unless they were Ford car geeks (and I mean that in the most loving and respectulf way possible ).
Old 5/29/13, 05:30 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Fewer people here would know about "Falcon" unless they were Ford car geeks (and I mean that in the most loving and respectulf way possible ).
Or remember the 1960s ...

Name:  1-28.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  28.8 KB
Old 5/29/13, 05:33 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

How respected is the Taurus nameplate in the US?
Allan Mulally would never allow that; he brought Taurus name back after it was replaced by the 500.
I think I read somewhere that it's the 4th most recognized Ford's name in the USA, after Mustang, F-Series and Explorer.
Old 5/29/13, 09:16 PM
GT Member

Ford Australia will not put the Falcon badge on something that isn't produced in Australia, they said this themselves.

Taurus will probably stay FWD/AWD...if/when it does go global.
Sales of RWD Large sedans are dwindling worldwide...We all say we'd buy one but CUV/SUV's always win out in the showroom. There is a niche for large RWD sedans like the Charger/300/SS but they have limited buyers.
Yes, that's what I'm lead to believe - MKS and Taurus will have an AWD system, with rwd bias, and capable of a lot more torque than what they're currently capable of. I'm pretty sure this is CD4+3.

Lincoln could have it's own shared RWD platform to compete against BMW/MB/Infiniti/Lexus. All in the price of admission. If Lincoln can sweep up in China....the rest of Asia will want in on it...including Australia. Flex may be gone soon...MKT will most likely follow when the Aviator re-enters production.
It simply won't be Ford if they give up this segment. I'm all for making products that sell but the flagship needs to be RWD, and offer a lower, sports/grand touring model below that.

One Ford would have failed if they don't offer best in class for ALL segments. Waiting to see if their interpretation of RWD and AWD are the one and the same. We know that can't be because there's no V8 in the latter.
Old 5/29/13, 09:38 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zastava_101
Allan Mulally would never allow that; he brought Taurus name back after it was replaced by the 500.
I think I read somewhere that it's the 4th most recognized Ford's name in the USA, after Mustang, F-Series and Explorer.
That said, could we see the Taurus/Falcon share a vehicle around the globe the same way we have the Fusion/Mondeo?
Old 5/29/13, 11:38 PM
GTR Member

Ah yes, I forgot that Alan M brought back the Taurus name, although I didn't realise how much importance it held in the public domain.

Even a RWD-biased AWD system would be welcome here, as Mondeo struggles against the likes of the Audi A4 and BMW 3-series over here. It needs..........something.

As much as I'd love it, I really can't see a RWD V8 selling over here in numbers that would justify the development cost, no unless it was shared with other RHD countries (such as Australia).
Old 5/30/13, 12:31 AM
GT Member

As much as I'd love it, I really can't see a RWD V8 selling over here in numbers that would justify the development cost, no unless it was shared with other RHD countries (such as Australia).
I agree, they won't sell many. I still believe, though, that the Flagship needs the V8.

I'm talking mainly Lincoln, of course, not Ford because I see Ford's flagship is the Shelby.

Lincoln's large SUV will end up with a V8 Ecoboost, but I don't know if an SUV can be viewed as a flagship?
Old 5/30/13, 03:46 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Thoughts on this news and the speculation it's breeding:

-People need to be very aware that the nameplates might get a little mobile over the next few years if Ford tries to fit new vehicles with names that have established presence in the market. Just because you see "MKS," "Taurus," "Falcon" or whatever do not automatically assume the car being described is in the same class as current/past cars wearing that name.

-This news is interesting but Flat Rock is a flexible plant which has already built RWD and FWD cars at the same time. The key news is less about what other vehicles are at the plant and more that Taurus isn't mentioned as moving the Flat Rock. Putting MKS and Taurus in different plants is very interesting.

-A full-size sedan with a V8 appearing anywhere in Ford/Linc still seems like a long shot. An AWD sedan that has a rear-wheel bias and EcoBoost2 seems much more likely. A smaller niche sports sedan, which shares as much as possible with Mustang without requiring a ton of extra platform development, also seems possible if a longer shot.
Old 5/30/13, 06:27 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Even a RWD-biased AWD system would be welcome here, as Mondeo struggles against the likes of the Audi A4 and BMW 3-series over here. It needs..........something.
Why is Mondeo being compared to A4 and 3-Series? Isn't Mondeo a much cheaper car that competes against Volkswagen Passat, Opel Insignia, Peugeot 508 ... in Europe?
I know the Mondeo Titanium offers a lot of luxury, but I still don't think its a premium car.
Old 5/30/13, 10:32 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Zastava_101
Why is Mondeo being compared to A4 and 3-Series? Isn't Mondeo a much cheaper car that competes against Volkswagen Passat, Opel Insignia, Peugeot 508 ... in Europe?
I know the Mondeo Titanium offers a lot of luxury, but I still don't think its a premium car.
The middle to top of the range Mondeo prices are similar to the entry level BMW 3 series and A4. There are now more BMW 3 Series sold in the UK than Mondeos, as people prefer a prestige badge on a low spec BMW to a fully loaded Ford.
Old 5/30/13, 10:50 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Is the badge is the reason why 3-Series is outselling the Mondeo, wouldn't that mean that the 3-Series will outsell the Mondeo no matter what Ford does to it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flat Rock plant to produce Ford Fusion this summer (New MKS=RWD?)