Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Engine Swap 06 to 08 4L?

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/22, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Swap 06 to 08 4L?

I have a 2006 4.0 mustang I am swapping engine. The Question is will the 2008 4.0 mustang engine fit? What is the differences or what modifications IF it is possible without too much labor ?
Old 3/3/22, 10:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Answer to The Question: Yes. It'll almost drop right in and bolt up, except...

Answer to second The Question: A lot, as yes it's possible, but not without too much labor, money, time, etc...

Frankly, you would be better off buying a V8 Mustang than changing out the v6 in this one. Put a V6 back in it and then sell it, get the right car right off. The reason is this is not an ol' 60-70-early 80s car, these things are pretty much built to be what they are out of the factory. Computers being the key.

However, to exercise the mind on this, here's your list of things you'll do to achieve this swap:
  1. 1 - Acquire V8 Engine from '08, and install it, which will require:
    1. the engine computer
    2. and complete engine harness
      1. all injectors, coils, etc...
    3. and correct transmission
    4. and transmission harness
    5. and possibly, but not definitely, the axle to go with all that
    6. and therefore you'll need the driveshaft
    7. and upgraded brakes are recommended for the extra power/weight
    8. and suspension upgrades because of weight as well.
    9. and finally, all the things I dun plum forgot, or figured the list was already too long so stopped listing things.
Like I says... it's just easier to get a car ready to do the thing than convert a car that wasn't done for it. Although to be certain, it's not like a '69 Mustang I6 vs V8 situation where you'd really gut just about everything suspension and drivetrain and swap in the V8. You're really only talking springs and shocks/struts for the suspension. Brakes are a rather simple rotor and bracket swap up front for the bigger diameter rotor. But it's the engine/transmission management, as well as the particular drivetrain parts like driveshaft and/or axle (for ratios mostly) that will make this a very expensive in time, effort and money situation. The engine computer has to be programmed to be married with the body (and therefore, the keys) to get it to work. You can't just plug in that v6 computer setup, and you certainly shouldn't plug in the v6 trans/driveshaft to the v8, even if it could be done.

There is also legalities of your area to be concerned with, as the swap may or may not be kosher for your area for registration, safety or other reasons.

I hope that helps. I'm sorry it's not what you wanna hear. That said, you do you, don't let me or anyone stand in your way. Make it happen captain, I believe in you!

/Still wouldn't do it, I'd swap cars first.
//Unless this was a racecar, then it doesn't matter, gut the car and put in a Holley Dominator or such to manage it, go fast and win.

Last edited by houtex; 3/3/22 at 10:20 AM.