Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Enabling Fog Lights on a Focus

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/14, 03:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Enabling Fog Lights on a Focus

Last year I picked up this FoFo (i.e. Ford Focus) used. It's a 2013 SE Sedan.

You can see from the pic below, this car's not equipped w/ fog lights from the factory, they just plugged up the holes w/ some hockey pucks. I've been looking into how to retrofit foglights into the thing for two reasons:

1) I've come to realize that the headlights kind of suck in fog and rain, even with SilverStar Ultras in it.
2) I think the fog lights look better.

I've been researching how to retrofit them and the major roadblock is the Body Control Module. The BCM is like our Smart Junction Box (more than just a fuse box, it also has digital circuitry that controls everything from turn signals to brake lights...and the fogs too). The BCM has the wiring, fuse, and internal relays to support fog lights, but it's not enabled on cars that didn't come with fogs installed from the factory. The BCM can be reprogrammed, and people on the Focus forums believe this can be done to enable fog light circuit. No one's had luck actually getting it to work yet.

Is there anyone with Ford Tech experience/connections that might be able to help me figure this out?

Here's some background info on the whole thing

My car, btw

vs one w/ the right options

The only way I want to do this right now is to install them as a factory setup - using all FoMoCo switches, wiring harnesses, and plugs. I just don't want to deal with warranty issues or rigging up a relay.

I've been doing a lot of reading up on this on Focus Fanatics (not a member, just a lurker), and this is what I've learned:

1) There are 4 main components to the fog lights:
  • Headlight Switch
  • Body Control Module (BCM) --much like our Smart Junction Box on the Mustang. Contains digital circuitry and relays that control various parts of the car.
  • Wiring Harness
  • Fog lights themselves

2) On an a car w/ equip group 200A like mine (fog lights are in 201A), most of what you need is there. But there are still a few things you need to do:

a) You need to change out the headlight switch, which is actually digital control module, to one that includes the fog light button. It communicates w/ the BCM to tell it to turn on the lights, pop the trunk, etc. Part # CM5Z11654A

b) You need to install the fog lights (duh). The plastic plugs just pop out and the lights just snap in.

c) You need to install the wiring harness from the BCM to the lights. Part number CV6Z15K867B

d) You need to get the BCM to turn on the circuit. A main point of contention with the S models are that the BCM is lacking wiring to support the fog light circuit --the fuse terminals for Fuse #75 are even missing. But a different BCM is shared between the SE and above models, with all the internal wiring and circuitry in place.
Old 12/31/14, 04:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Almost forgot my resources:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=297740&page=3
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...0&postcount=41
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...6&postcount=56
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...d.php?t=459729

The last one actually talks about a PC program called Foccus, which you can use to reprogram the BCM. I may go that route, but would like to see what official help I can get first. Worse comes to worst, if the program messes up the BCM, they say the thing can be recovered by the dealer. For how much $$ i'm not sure

Last edited by Cavero; 12/31/14 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12/31/14, 06:23 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Why not just buy the Ford lights but wire them up separately and have a separate switch for the lights?
Old 1/1/15, 06:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Mostly OCD I guess. I'd much rather just have a factory setup without installing relays, tapping into a fuse, and drilling into the dash to mount a switch. Still paying the car off and don't want to tamper with it more than i have to
Old 1/4/15, 01:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, I've got all the parts ordered and just decided to do it myself using FoCCCus. Tried it out last night disabling the shift light --worked like a champ!