Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

The Death of the Pontiac Solstice?

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/05, 09:16 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This could spell some serious trouble for the Pontiac Solstice, which is already lagging way behind the Miata in just about any comparo test you read.

HIROSHIMA β€” Detroit's Cobo Center in January will be the launch venue for this racy new Mazda sport-coupe concept called the Kabura.

Conceived by Mazda's U.S. design studio in Irvine, California, the Kabura is a tiny, MX-5 Miata-based concept that Mazda may well build if reception is good.

Those who've seen the Kabura in the metal say the car has knockout styling: a mixture of RX-8 with a strong hint of Aston DB9 thrown in for good measure.
Click here for full story.
Old 12/13/05, 09:42 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't do anything overnight. Well, you can, but this isn't one of those cases. Solstice might be success, but it won't be more popular than Miata.
Old 12/13/05, 10:28 PM
Cobra R Member

aha BC_Shelby... another foe in my quest to keep mazda car threads in the Other Ford's section.... argh!

I'm so proud of my local newspaper... Despite all the reading i do on the net and in magazines... they still managed to be the first place i saw any mention of this Mazda coupe about two weeks ago. They also got me with the Acura version of the new civic, but that's a canada only thing so that's different.

The RX-8 and anything by Aston just happen to be my favourite cars in the looks department... can't wait to see it. Tha miata's not my cup of tea in terms of looks, sounds like this'll remedy that. Can anybody guess what they're gonna call this thing? I thought i had heard MX-3 at some point.... I think MX-6 would be cool... but i guess they're all just letters and number's, not much of a big deal aside from trying to find some systematic naming scheme.
Old 12/14/05, 01:14 AM
Closet American

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@December 13, 2005, 10:31 PM
Can anybody guess what they're gonna call this thing? I thought i had heard MX-3 at some point.... I think MX-6 would be cool... but i guess they're all just letters and number's, not much of a big deal aside from trying to find some systematic naming scheme.
As it says at the beginning of this thread, "Kabura."
Old 12/14/05, 07:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
As a former Mazda owner, this intrigues me. I was actually surfing the Saturn website the other day looking at the Sky (which I think looks better than the Solstice) but if Mazda is coming out with this new small coupe, I might have to look at it. It'll be interesting to see if it's only a concept or a concept with real production possibility.
Old 12/14/05, 10:03 AM
GT Member

Why such a melodramatic headline on this topic? Geez, one of the few bright stars that GM has and your trashing it.

I read the reviews comparing the Solstice to the Miata and none said the Solstice was horribly inferior as you imply, they just said it was not quite as good as the Miata, but a good first effort from GM.

How long has Mazda had to refine the Miata?
Old 12/14/05, 01:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@December 14, 2005, 3:17 AM
As it says at the beginning of this thread, "Kabura."
ya, that's the name of the concept, but i doubt that the production version if any would get a name like that. They've thrown out all their other real names, including the iconic miata, so that they can have one of those systematic number letter scheme things. They wouldn't go back on that after ditching one of the biggest names in sports cars.
Old 12/14/05, 02:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@December 14, 2005, 2:55 PM
ya, that's the name of the concept, but i doubt that the production version if any would get a name like that. They've thrown out all their other real names, including the iconic miata, so that they can have one of those systematic number letter scheme things. They wouldn't go back on that after ditching one of the biggest names in sports cars.
Actually, that isn't true. If you go to the Mazda website, it's referred to as the "MX-5 Miata".
Old 12/14/05, 04:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@December 14, 2005, 4:47 PM
Actually, that isn't true. If you go to the Mazda website, it's referred to as the "MX-5 Miata".

hmm... ya that's true. that's funny, cause like every article i've read about the new miata has had some line along the lines of "oops, but you didn't hear us call it that, cause mazda has gone and dropped the miata nameplate, and this car is actually just called the MX-5".

Either they're changing their minds about that one, probably cause the Miata name has so much recognition, kinda like how BMW will stick with M3 instead of switching to M4 to match the whole evens/odds, two-door/four-door thing, cause the M3 name just has so much reputation.
Either they're changing their minds or they just haven't updated the site, maybe cause they wanna make a gradual transition so everybody knows its still the same car.

From Motor Trend:
Kiss the miata goodbye, come 2006--the Miata name that is. Mazda will drop the car's North American moniker on the 2006 version in favor of the alphanumeric MX-5 designation used elsewhere in the world.

From Autoblog:
We speculated and reported it, now Stephen Odell, Mazda’s senior managing executive officer, confirmed that MX-5 would be the new North American name for the Miata replacement. As long as the Miata, um MX-5, is as fun to drive as the original, does the name really matter much?

And a post by someone on autoblog:
This is a bit weird - Mazda will continue to refer to the MX-5 as the Miata in advertising, but there will be no "Miata" logo on the car or on official paperwork and manuals. Look at their web site at mazdausa.com - MX-5 Miata is still what it's called for the 2006 preview.

Imagine ford renamed the Mustang because they REALLy wanted to stick with the F-name thing?
Old 12/14/05, 04:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I did a little digging around on the various Mazda websites and found out that it's only called the "MX-5 Miata" in the US (I didn't check every Mazda site but sampled enough to believe I'm pretty much correct). Maybe the confusion comes from the fact that the Miata name isn't used anywhere else.
Old 12/14/05, 05:16 PM
FR500 Member

The MX-5 doesn't totally whoop the Pontiac - even with the Mazda's weight advantage. So one has to give GM props for trying in the first place. (Saturn Sky much, much better looking IMO) Yes, the Miata is an established benchmark, but let GM try, Ford tried... and you know what happened. If you can't beat 'em, own 'em! Looking forward to another rivalry if Pontiac or Saturn build coupe versions of their roadsters. As for the "Miata" name only being used in the US, Mark, you are correct.
Old 12/14/05, 06:26 PM
Cobra R Member

well see, that's the way its been for many years. Its always just been MX-5 outside of north america, and then we all called it the miata. But with this new one, they were saying that was gonna change and it would now be known as the MX-5 in all markets. At least that's what i've read pretty much everywhere except in this thread.

While it may take a while for it to settle in for advertising and stuff like that, I'm pretty certain that it doesn't say miata anywhere on the new car, or in the manuals or anything.

Edit: okay, found this on msn autos... looks like they indeed flip flopped, although there still won't be any "Miata" badges.

What's in a Name?
When Mazda first announced that they intended to build the third-generation Miata, the company referred to it as the MX-5β€”the only name the car has ever had in Europe. But in North America it has always been named the MX-5 Miata, and referred to simply as the Miata. Since journalists are sticklers for details, we inquired about the name when we drove the car, going straight to the source. Mazda North America president and CEO Jim O'Sullivan assured us that in the U.S. the car will be called the MX-5 Miata. However, there were no Miata badges on the cars we drove.

No matter what it's called, this third generation is a great evolution of the original.
Old 12/14/05, 06:46 PM
I Have Admin Envy

I have read a lot of articles on the subject, just to confirm, it will be called the MX5 Miata for '06 and then after it will just be the MX-5. In my opinion it is the stupidest marketing idea ever. Some people just don't know how to leave a good thing alone.

a miata coupe would be a great addition to the mazda lineup. It would be great for autocrossers and road racers who would prefer a fixed roof and a stiffer shell.

I say go for it... keep in mind there is also a solstice coupe concept out there
Old 12/14/05, 09:12 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds fun! im a big mazda fan, and i adore the new miatas, so i cant wait to see more on the Kabura :P

RX8 AND DB9? how much better looking can it get? lol