Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

BMW reportedly interested in buying Volvo?

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/07, 01:01 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW reportedly interested in buying Volvo?

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/09/b...-buying-volvo/
Old 5/9/07, 01:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

BMW wants to buy Volvo

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/09/b...-buying-volvo/

Autocar says BMW seriously considered taking Volvo off of Ford's hands earlier this year, going so far as to request financial data about the company, which is surprising on several levels.

First, does this mean Volvo is for sale? Bill Ford has said nothing in Ford's Premium Auto Group is sacred, but Volvo seems to be one of the company's shiniest jewels.

Perhaps the greatest surprise would be BMW's Quandt family overcoming its aversion to buying another carmaker after the much maligned purchase of Rover. Despite ending up with the popular MINI brand, it's well known that the Quandts were not happy with the whole mess.
Old 5/9/07, 02:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alan Mullaly said in an interview that Volvo WAS NOT for sale, and was emphatic about it. I highly doubt that they would sell it, as they share ALOT of technology safety wise, and platforms.
Old 5/9/07, 03:19 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

For a right price everything is for sale.
Old 5/9/07, 04:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
you said it....if the price is right.
Old 5/9/07, 04:59 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

That being said, if BMW's price wasn't right I wouldn't bet on Volvo being sold anytime soon.
Old 5/16/07, 01:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

One Question, why does BMW want Volvo so bad, is it to get rid of competition, like Church's did to Popeye's here in the valley?
Old 5/16/07, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 1969 Mustang Mach 1
One Question, why does BMW want Volvo so bad, is it to get rid of competition, like Church's did to Popeye's here in the valley?

Hehe, funny you should mention that. Both church's and Popeyes are owned by the same Parent company based here in Atlanta called America's Favorite Chicken.

Why do I know this useless bit of information you ask ? I used to work in the same building where they are headquartered.

6 Concourse Pkwy., Ste. 1700
Atlanta, Georgia 30328
Old 5/16/07, 04:06 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Actually, its quite possible they wanted to place Volvo underneath BMW so they could move their primary brand upmarket. For example, take Volkswagen's lineup for competition: They'd slot Volvo against Volkswagen and BMW would face Audi.
Old 5/17/07, 06:31 AM
Cobra R Member

I get your point, but since when has BMW been to busy fighting off VW to really focus on competing with Audi? If anything, i'd say Audi has been striving over the past decade to work it's way up to BMW's level. And Volvo definitely deserves more credit than being slotted against VW.
I don't really see why BMW would want to move up market anyways, they have so much brand equity with their lower end models as compared to things like the 760 or 650.
Old 5/28/07, 03:46 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Ford eyes sale of Volvo cars, BMW interested

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070528/bs_nm/ford_volvo_dc
Old 5/28/07, 08:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Red Star
Ford eyes sale of Volvo cars, BMW interested

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070528/bs_nm/ford_volvo_dc
Serious info on this has been circling the European forums since about the same time as your initial post on the 9th. And, in light of the large amount of info behind this story, it would appear that the possibility of BMW buying Volvo imay not be the simple rumour many think. Good catch Red Star.
Old 6/2/07, 09:09 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Well if your cash strapped, even though you might not want to, it still might be preferable to sell off some valuable assets to help keep the purse from getting to thin. Besides they'd probably have to pay somebody to take Jag or Land Rover.
Old 6/3/07, 01:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jsaylor
Serious info on this has been circling the European forums since about the same time as your initial post on the 9th. And, in light of the large amount of info behind this story, it would appear that the possibility of BMW buying Volvo imay not be the simple rumour many think. Good catch Red Star.
And on the other hand, you have this Detroit News article in which Ford flatly denies that Volvo is for sale. As far as I'm concerned, it's all speculation and rumor until I see a headline that says "Ford sells Volvo".
Old 6/4/07, 08:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by TomServo92
And on the other hand, you have this Detroit News article in which Ford flatly denies that Volvo is for sale. As far as I'm concerned, it's all speculation and rumor until I see a headline that says "Ford sells Volvo".
Every auto maker that has unloaded a brand in recent memory has denied reports of the same until a transaction was virtually certain if not certain.....which indicates that denials mean nothing at this point. What is significiant is how long it took Ford to quash this rumour which almost certainly means that Ford is at least looking at the possibility of selling Volvo.

Perhaps Ford is just interested in seeing just how much somebody is willing to give for Volvo since everything does indeed have it's price. And then again perhaps Ford is seriously courting an offer from BMW. Whatever the case it may lead to nothing at all, or it may lead to a sudden off-loading of Ford's only Nordic brand.
Old 6/5/07, 07:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Every auto maker that has unloaded a brand in recent memory has denied reports of the same until a transaction was virtually certain if not certain.....which indicates that denials mean nothing at this point. What is significiant is how long it took Ford to quash this rumour which almost certainly means that Ford is at least looking at the possibility of selling Volvo.

Perhaps Ford is just interested in seeing just how much somebody is willing to give for Volvo since everything does indeed have it's price. And then again perhaps Ford is seriously courting an offer from BMW. Whatever the case it may lead to nothing at all, or it may lead to a sudden off-loading of Ford's only Nordic brand.
If I'm not mistaken, Ford never denied Aston Martin was for sale as all the rumors swept the internet.
Old 6/6/07, 08:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

If I'm not mistaken, Ford never denied Aston Martin was for sale as all the rumors swept the internet.
On the contrary. John Walton, General Manager of Aston Martin North America, repeatedly denied AM was for sale before the official announcement. In light of his position and the fact that he considers Bill Ford to be a personal friend I would say that he speaks for Ford.
Old 6/6/07, 02:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

On the contrary. John Walton, General Manager of Aston Martin North America, repeatedly denied AM was for sale before the official announcement. In light of his position and the fact that he considers Bill Ford to be a personal friend I would say that he speaks for Ford.
Well, I did a search for articles about the Ford selling AM and couldn't find any that denied it.
Old 6/6/07, 03:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, I did a search for articles about the Ford selling AM and couldn't find any that denied it.
I'm not surprised since it wasn't overly publicized. But in my experience they almost always deny it before they admit to it in the automotive world. Perhaps they should consider dual careers in light of this talent, one in the auto industry and the other as a politician.
Old 6/16/07, 07:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Perhaps they should consider dual careers in light of this talent, one in the auto industry and the other as a politician.
Or maybe as a sports manager/coach.