Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Adrenaline Axed!?!

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/06, 07:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I may be a pseudo hippy and all, all about the hybrids and stuff like that, but i still think this sucks.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...0367/1148/rss25

Ya... they're in tough times, they gotta make some money and maybe the Adrenaline wouldn't have brought in much extra cash, even considering the Halo effect it'd have for the Sport Track, cause I dunno how many Sport Tracks they can sell a year anyway. But where does this leave SVT?? We were all like, "yeah... they're just chillin for a year or two, they'll be back next year big time with the GT500, then the Adrenaline, and then the Fusion." But now this leaves me wondering whether SVT's really gonna be sticking around. Maybe it just doesn't really fit into their way forward plan. I think that's dumb... the overall Halo effect is good stuff.

I know! Why don't they combine efforts to bolster their image in terms of performance with their efforts to show off their innovation and environmental initiatives! Instead of the Adrenaline getting a V8 + a supercharger... how bout the same V8 but replace the supercharger with an electric motor for the extra boost. Recapture that braking energy when you pull up to a stop, and then let it rip off the line with the extra boost when the light changes! Then Ford looks like they build sweet fast cars that are also models of efficiency, Ford would look pretty good.
Old 2/3/06, 07:37 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Geez... how can any car company "AX" the GT? I wouldnt call it "axing" per se.
Old 2/3/06, 07:41 AM
Cobra R Member

naw... they're not AXING the GT... I blame detnews for that one. That's been the plan all along. For them to go and say Ford is "Axing" the GT in the headline just makes it look bad. Kinda the same deal for the LS, though i guess we never got the official word it was ending, though we all knew it was getting replaced, between the Zephyr and the MKS or whatever they'll give us in a year or two.

I'd never even heard of the possibility of the Adrenaline getting the axe though. That was a surprise.
Old 2/3/06, 09:13 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mustang_sallad @ February 3, 2006, 8:44 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
naw... they're not AXING the GT... I blame detnews for that one. That's been the plan all along. For them to go and say Ford is "Axing" the GT in the headline just makes it look bad. Kinda the same deal for the LS, though i guess we never got the official word it was ending, though we all knew it was getting replaced, between the Zephyr and the MKS or whatever they'll give us in a year or two.

I'd never even heard of the possibility of the Adrenaline getting the axe though. That was a surprise.
[/b][/quote]

Some guy on another board started a rumor that SVT is all but finished, and went so far as to claim that the new Shelby, when it finally gets built, will not have any SVT badging on it. That's very hard to believe. At least it was before I read this! Maybe he knows something afterall, because he also said they have no more SVT projects???

How come the the truck is still displayed on the SVT website??? Is it possible that the people at SVT perhaps don't even know themselves that people at "mainstream Ford" have other plans for them??

Maybe there's more bad news forthcoming!!!!
Old 2/3/06, 09:27 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Geezus....man the adrenalin was the only thing i was looking forward to from SVT

Hey brad next time you talk to HTT ask him "Are you insane?!!"
Old 2/3/06, 10:12 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its been pretty common knowedge that '06 would be the last year of the Ford GT. It cannot pass certain safety regulations for '07

as for the adrenalin, while I do think that its a shame that its gone, I don't think it would sell in any significant numbers. Hopefully they will reallocate this money to get the fusion SVT to market quicker.

Another low-cost option is to import the Focus RS from europe as a niche SVT model. There is zero R&D on it, just emissions certification.
Old 2/3/06, 10:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Galaxie @ February 3, 2006, 12:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Its been pretty common knowedge that '06 would be the last year of the Ford GT. It cannot pass certain safety regulations for '07

as for the adrenalin, while I do think that its a shame that its gone, I don't think it would sell in any significant numbers. Hopefully they will reallocate this money to get the fusion SVT to market quicker.

Another low-cost option is to import the Focus RS from europe as a niche SVT model. There is zero R&D on it, just emissions certification.
[/b][/quote]

Yup thats the GT scoop. The real question is what replaces it? Hmmmm [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/33.gif[/img]

I really never saw a market for the Adrenalin. Don't forget the Mazdaspeed AWD 6 is pretty much plug and play with a fusion [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/3/06, 11:10 AM
Cobra R Member

ya.. i totally agree. I'm sure an SVT fusion could sell in MUCH bigger numbers than the adrenaline. Hopefully the fusion will benefit from this turn of events.
Old 2/3/06, 11:13 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Galaxie @ February 3, 2006, 12:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

Agreed, the GT was never intended to be anything other than a limited production "halo" car.

Not too terribly upset about the Adrenalin, it was an interesting exercise but it is highly doubtful it would have sold well at all.

Ford should direct SVT towards the Focus and the Fusion as their next models. The Focus RS is a serious piece, I'd love to see it make the trip across the pond. Ford could even substitute the turbo 2.3L from Mazdaspeed AWD 6 into the RS, it's already certified!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] I also agree with Kevinb, it would be an easy exercise to use the Mazdaspeed AWD 6 as the basis for the SVT Fusion. In my limited thinking, it shouldn't take a siginificant dollar or time expenditure to launch either car using the 2.3L turbo engine since the major components already exist but I'm probably missing something.
Old 2/3/06, 11:20 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Instead of doing a carbon copy of the mazdaspeed6, I would like to hope that the AWD driveline could be teamed up with the new 3.5L V6 and a 6-gear transmission. The 3.5 could easily be teaked for a few more ponies as well.
Old 2/3/06, 11:39 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

For GT and LS - its pretty much what everybody expected.

Now that Adrenaline is gone, maybe they will finally build Lightning.
Old 2/3/06, 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MustangFanatic @ February 3, 2006, 12:16 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Agreed, the GT was never intended to be anything other than a limited production "halo" car.

Not too terribly upset about the Adrenalin, it was an interesting exercise but it is highly doubtful it would have sold well at all.

Ford should direct SVT towards the Focus and the Fusion as their next models. The Focus RS is a serious piece, I'd love to see it make the trip across the pond. Ford could even substitute the turbo 2.3L from Mazdaspeed AWD 6 into the RS, it's already certified!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] I also agree with Kevinb, it would be an easy exercise to use the Mazdaspeed AWD 6 as the basis for the SVT Fusion. In my limited thinking, it shouldn't take a siginificant dollar or time expenditure to launch either car using the 2.3L turbo engine since the major components already exist but I'm probably missing something.
[/b][/quote]

You're missing quite a few things actually.

1) There is no longer a Focus RS, that died with the C170 platform in Europe. The high perf model on the new (C1) platform is the Focus ST. The C1 is the same platform that the Mazda 3 and Vovo S40 ride on, and the Euro Focus ST is powered by the same motor as the Volvo S40 T5. So if you really want that, it's pretty much available here allready as a Volvo (though its a sedan and not a hatch).

2) It is a far more complicated process than emissions to bring a car over here, and in this case, emissions would be the least of your worries because the Focus ST allready uses an engine that is used in cars here. The problems are with labor negotiations, crash testing, factory output levels, etc. Not an easy process, and it can end up a disaster if the thing doesnt sell (just as GM with the GTO).

3) Dropping the turbo 2.3 into the C1 would essentially be what the proposed Mazdaspeed 3 is. So that's also being done allready. Further, so far that motor has been nothing but problems for the Mazdaspeed 6 owners (ECU issues pulling boost). May have to do with the tuning on the 6 (274hp), hopefully they clean it up for the 240hp version that will show up in their new SUV and the MS3.

What Ford SHOULD do and is doing partially...is massive layoffs, plant closings, and restructuring.

Get the plants and moreover the company, opperating efficiently again.

Drop any unnessesary projects, and close the plants dedicated to them. This is about survival now. If Mazda can move Ford platforms better, make more Mazdas. Same with Volvo.

It's time to cut back, dig in, and right the ship.
If your car is heading towards a brick wall, the last thing you should be worried about is what your next mod is..
Old 2/3/06, 11:54 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I liked the adrenaline but i would prefer to see a svt fusion.
Old 2/3/06, 12:21 PM

Got to keep the yellow GT around a little longer now
Old 2/3/06, 01:20 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Please, OH PLEASE, let there be an AWD SVT Fusion coupe!!!
I would love to own one of those... maybe even more than a Mustang? Welp, if it looks exactly like this, than for sure:
Old 2/3/06, 02:05 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thezeppelin8 @ February 3, 2006, 2:23 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img]
Old 2/3/06, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Red Star @ February 3, 2006, 12:42 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
For GT and LS - its pretty much what everybody expected.

Now that Adrenaline is gone, maybe they will finally build Lightning.
[/b][/quote]

you want to bet? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 2/3/06, 03:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm with SVTJayC, its about time Ford got their company into some sort of efficiency. They've been pouring money out the past few years and that is no good for any of us, short term and especially long term. Now that they are trimming some of the fat (apologies to any employees who got canned, but you can thank your lovely union leaders for making it necessary to fire you) through employees and products, they can invest more into the competitive platforms and give us better quality vehicles. Toyota has a very efficient business model, although its from their gov't providing their healthcare, allowing them to put more quality per price group into their cars. I say, Good Work Ford, its about time.
Old 2/3/06, 04:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Talking

Now I don't know if it's a possiblity but ford did show us the FORD GTX1 concept a few months back. Maybe they'll cancel the regular GT and bring this one out.
Old 2/3/06, 06:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Good point Seth, maybe they will fire up a short run.

Quick Reply: Adrenaline Axed!?!