Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

427 high riser/side oiler story

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/10, 10:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
427 high riser/side oiler story

Here's an interesting story but I'm not sure if it belongs here.

When my dad was in highschool he was working at a napa parts house he was very automotively inclined and picked up a '54 f-100 truck and built a wicked high revving 289 by himself by the time he was 16. While working at napa he kept hearing of this guy in town with a "ford hemi" engine, he had never heard of this before and when the man came in my dad got into sort of an argument with him because he didn't believe ford made a "hemi" so the man agreedto show him the motor that he had had in storage. When they arrived the man had went under this pine tree and removed tarp after tarp to reveal a 427 SOHC that had been torn down, finnaly believing what his eyes saw he asked the man what his plans for it were and the man said he didn't plan on getting rid of it if that's what he meant. Flash forward a few years, after my dad had saved enough money from napa he he went into business with his cousin in a machining/engine rebuilding shop, after owning it a few years of owning it the very man that owned the SOHC came into the shop trying to get rid of the motor as he had fell on hard times. My dad now knowing all about this "hemi ford" and it's rareness at this time in his life he sprang at the chance and took out a loan for $1500 and bought and built this rare ford legend. My dad at this time in his life owned a 1970 Mach 1 mustang and had a project 64 galaxy that he had bought with the intent of slipping the SOHC into as it would not need any shocktower/suspension modifications to install the engine. Unfortunately this never happened because he ended up selling the motor for a couple thousand dollars and a trade for a 427 side oiler (once again in many parts) and the car to fund his wedding to my mom and help with a down payment for a house. My dad built this 427 side oiler with flat top pistons, roller rockers, a 428 crank (whichputs this motor at 455 ci, Predator carb, and forged rods. Point is he spared no expense on this motor. He ended up selling the motor to his other cousin who was building a speed boat for $3000 Soon after my dad had sold his mustang bought a practical car and sold his business as his family was growing and he slowly settled into boring suburbia. Skip many years into the future and my dad is 50 years old, he is now a fairly succesfull contractor since his mustang had sold he had owned car after car that offered about as much excitement as watching paint dry. Sure he had helped quite me quite a bit building my mustang but nothing really for him. Well he ran into his cousin and asked him about that speed boat he had put together those many years ago. He told my dad that his jackass son installed the motor wrong and the boat wouldn't plane right and he has maybe 10 hours on the motor. This motor had been on my dads mind since he had built it and he finnaly asked his cousin if he would sell it, he quickly said $15000 my dad hasn't decided yes or no yet but he called me up today about this as giddy as a school asking me if he should get it or not. He had me look up on the Internet about how much an all original motor like this would be and I searched it, common asking price is $22,000 and were dynoed at 650hp for a motor like this. My dad has plans of building a 390 for the boat and sell the boat and save the 427 for a project he can sink his teeth into like we did with my '68. He is considering 67-70 mustangs 54-56 ford trucks, or a 66 fairlane as cars for this motor. While talking on the phone today with him he told me the whole history and connection he has with this motor. He may not have been able to enjoy his SOHC but he will finally be able to enjoy this by product 427 side oiler that he has waited around 30 years for he told me he doesn't know what he's going to do but I can tell his mind is allready made up. It made me happy to hear my dad like this and I couldn't help but share this.
Old 3/15/10, 11:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Block-o-text is blocky...

Cool! Sounds like it'll be lotsa fun!
Old 3/15/10, 11:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm maybe I should add some paragraphs into that story lol tomorow