Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

2011 Excursion ... should Ford build it?

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/11, 03:37 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moosetang
But does he need the extra seating of the Excursion or would a Super Duty with a bed cover do the job just as well?
Maybe I'm missing something, but Super Duty is not any smaller or economical than Excursion, so why exactly is the Super Duty a better buy?

Last edited by Zastava_101; 2/2/11 at 04:20 PM.
Old 2/2/11, 04:13 PM

But does he need the extra seating of the Excursion or would a Super Duty with a bed cover do the job just as well?
The crew, sails, sea bags, coolers, etc., gotsta ride somewhere too. Even with this whale of a truck things can get a bit tight at times. The Excursion is a great vehicle for at least this particular duty, basically a diesel Super Duty but with indoor seating.

Last edited by rhumb; 2/2/11 at 04:15 PM.
Old 2/2/11, 04:59 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
Maybe I'm missing something, but Super Duty is not any smaller or economical than Excursion, so why exactly is the Super Duty a better buy?
I'm trying to analyze from the manufacturer's side, figure out if Excursion buyers are Super Duty buyers in disguise or if they actually have different requirements.
Old 2/2/11, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by rhumb
The crew, sails, sea bags, coolers, etc., gotsta ride somewhere too. Even with this whale of a truck things can get a bit tight at times. The Excursion is a great vehicle for at least this particular duty, basically a diesel Super Duty but with indoor seating.
Thanks for the info. I've never had to cart around a boat that didn't fit on a roof rack.
Old 2/2/11, 07:44 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
He has a good reason to own one then so I'm all for it. But like i said it seems alot of these are indeed bought as fashion statements.
Old 2/2/11, 08:44 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Next time I want to buy a car I'll be sure and run it by the committee here so y'all can decide if I really need it or not.

Sorry guys. It all sounds so judgmental. Sounds more like death panels for SUV drivers. I mean are we at this point now where car people sit in judgement of what other people really need to drive or not.
Old 2/2/11, 08:46 PM

OMFG!!! IMO it looks hideous!!!
Old 2/3/11, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Next time I want to buy a car I'll be sure and run it by the committee here so y'all can decide if I really need it or not.

Sorry guys. It all sounds so judgmental. Sounds more like death panels for SUV drivers. I mean are we at this point now where car people sit in judgement of what other people really need to drive or not.
People sit in judgement of everything else on the internet, why not SUVs?

Sure, It's still America. You can buy a Ford Excursion and drive around in it all by your own with nothing in it ever and there's nothing to stop you. Doesn't make it a great idea, doesn't mean everyone else has to say it's a great idea either.
Old 2/3/11, 07:29 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
People sit in judgement of everything else on the internet, why not SUVs?

Sure, It's still America. You can buy a Ford Excursion and drive around in it all by your own with nothing in it ever and there's nothing to stop you. Doesn't make it a great idea, doesn't mean everyone else has to say it's a great idea either.
I can live with that.
Old 2/3/11, 07:46 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I mean are we at this point now where car people sit in judgement of what other people really need to drive or not.
Well . . . . at least you don't own a Prius!!
Old 2/3/11, 08:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GEEO=1
OMFG!!! IMO it looks hideous!!!
I swear all the pick up designers from all the companies said " I wonder how ugly we can make the front ends and still get people to buy them. My 2001 super duty burned up in a fire at an ex employer's business fire and it was an ok looking truck so I was going to go buy a new pick up. I looked at the Ford but I think the front end is even stupider looking then it has been in the past and I don't care for the great big SUPERDUTY emobossing on the grille and on the dash. I like the small tasteful emblem that was on my 2001. My Dad bought a 2011 Chevy Silverado duramax and it is a nice driving truck and all but this thing looks like a kindergarten clay making art workshop. and I will not consider a Dodge because one I have no idea if they will be in business tomorrow or not as many time as they got sold and I also want to be able to drive farther then the end of my driveway without it breaking down and I also want to keep my spine in its proper location rather then driven out the top of my skull. It would be nice to see a hot looking design and not something that looks like a brick wall. My own opinion I guess.
Old 2/3/11, 09:06 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the rear end from an old car?
the rear pic of it doesn't look like a 2011 anything, more like 1999.
Old 2/3/11, 10:57 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by fdjizm
Is the rear end from an old car?
the rear pic of it doesn't look like a 2011 anything, more like 1999.
From the first page:

Buyers can get their behemoths with either four or six doors and it usually takes Tim's crew around six weeks to turn a vehicle from a pickup to an SUV. In that time, the shop finds a 2005 Excursion from the southwest, drags it to their shop in Guthrie, Oklahoma and surgically removes the rear-end of the vehicle.
Old 2/3/11, 12:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh yea, I always thought the rear of the excursion was very 1999 anyway lol
Old 2/3/11, 12:55 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Grell
I swear all the pick up designers from all the companies said " I wonder how ugly we can make the front ends and still get people to buy them.
They seem to all suffer from 'grill envy'.
Old 2/4/11, 02:10 PM

Agreed, these truck front ends are just getting cartoonish, becoming goofy caricatures of themselves. The designers seem to be trying to appeal to those insecure of their testosterone levels and indulging in some uber-macho pissing contestrather than trying to pen front ends that actually look good rather.

I always thought the original Excursions (and their Super Duty brethren) were handsome looking designs and certainly masculine enough for everybody this side of Chuck Norris. The latest Super Duty designs have totally jumped the shark.