Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

2007 Ford Edge...

Search this Thread

Old 1/9/06, 11:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by mustang_sallad@January 9, 2006, 11:23 AM
ya, i was gonna say the same thing. With my parents wagons, we never would fill it all the way up in the back... generally would try to leave a path for the rear view mirror to work.

Oh ya, somebody said ealier they heard that all of ford's cars weren't selling well. The freestyle's definitely been a disappointment, but the 500 has been catching on, and the fusion is slightly exceeding sales expectations.
I believe the 500 sold over 100,000 units last year. Not bad considering the styling is considered bland by most people. The Fusion got off to good start so let's hope the momentum stays. Overall Ford's car sales grew by 2% over a year ago. It was the first increase in car (not truck or SUV) sales since 1999. Considering that many of the car lines are aging models (CV, Taurus, Focus), that's not bad.
Old 1/10/06, 02:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by TomServo92+January 9, 2006, 2:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomServo92 @ January 9, 2006, 2:02 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I believe the 500 sold over 100,000 units last year. Not bad considering the styling is considered bland by most people. The Fusion got off to good start so let's hope the momentum stays. Overall Ford's car sales grew by 2% over a year ago. It was the first increase in car (not truck or SUV) sales since 1999. Considering that many of the car lines are aging models (CV, Taurus, Focus), that's not bad.
[/b]

Originally posted by TomServo92@January 9, 2006, 2:02 PM
I believe the 500 sold over 100,000 units last year. Not bad considering the styling is considered bland by most people. The Fusion got off to good start so let's hope the momentum stays. Overall Ford's car sales grew by 2% over a year ago. It was the first increase in car (not truck or SUV) sales since 1999. Considering that many of the car lines are aging models (CV, Taurus, Focus), that's not bad.
Originally posted by TomServo92@January 9, 2006, 2:02 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-TomServo92
@January 9, 2006, 2:02 PM
[/quote]

So Tom, you're saying the 500 sold pretty well?? Thats great great great great news
Old 1/10/06, 02:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

More pics of the Edge here

http://www.carspyshots.net/zerothread?id=17815&page=3
Old 1/10/06, 04:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@January 10, 2006, 3:12 AM
So Tom, you're saying the 500 sold pretty well?? Thats great great great great news
Dang computers....I think I'll become a Luddite!
Old 1/10/06, 06:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well,

Lets face it, like all of the other NON-4 Wheel Drive SUV's or CUV with plenty of ground clearance:

It is just a Mini-Van that men will be willing to drive.

I have a Mercury Mariner ( Escape ) for my company car and it has plenty of room to hold four adults and lots of luggage. I am sure this one will have enough room.

I personally think a Sports Wagon like the Magnum would have been a better choice...

I think it will look better in the Mercury badging with the water fall grill...
Old 1/10/06, 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks like perfect competition for the Murano/FX.
Old 1/10/06, 06:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Evil_Capri@January 8, 2006, 8:32 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you Ray. But the Edge is ~7" taller than a Freestyle and ~6" wider than an Escape. For the market segment that the Edge is in how much UTILITY are you looking for?
I am not interested in arguing with anyone here either. I don't have measurements on the Edge, but using your figures, that would make the Edge over 2.5" shorter than an Escape and a little over 1" wider than a Freestyle. Being over 6' tall, I need the headroom.

I would say that the Edge is not in my market segment. Maybe I should not have commented on its lack of utility for my needs. My needs have included taking home a grill in the box from the Home Depot. Laying flat between the wheel wells, 4' wide pieces of plywood. Putting in the back my friend's borrowed tow-behind cart for the lawn tractor and not having to disassemble it for the trip. Placing a 27" picture tube in the box in the cargo area without folding down the 2nd row seats because the kids still have to come home.

Except for the part about the two-behind cart (it fit with the tailgate closed), I can see buyers having the needs that I mentioned. Back to a comparable Edge market segment vehicle, Toyota just redesigned the RAV4 with 40% more cargo capacity. Add in that Toyota reliabilty, fit and finish and better gas mileage, and I can predict who the sales winner will be.
Old 1/10/06, 06:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The Edge is nearly a foot longer than the Escape (186.5 vs. 174.9) and has more than 2 cu. feet more cargo volume (68.5 vs. 66.3). They both have 40" of headroom in the front seats (the Freestyle actually has 1" less headroom than either). It sounds to me like the Edge is nicely sized right between the Escape and the Freestyle.

For compartaive purposes, the 2006 RAV4 is shorter (181.1) and has the same amount of headroom but it does have 5 cu. feet more carrying capacity (173).

I haven't seen the mileage estimates for the Edge but the RAV4 (V6 2WD) gets 22/29 but I would guess the Edge should be close given it has the 6-speed auto vs. a 5-speed for the Toyota.
Old 1/11/06, 12:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

I doubt Merc is going to get a version of the Edge. Its getting the Freestyle in 07, Ford is dropping it.
Old 1/11/06, 05:28 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Kevin-

I was under the impression that when stories broke about Ford dropping the Freestyle they were in fact false. That the Freestar was getting axed (hence Fairlane Concept). The Freestyle (and the other twins) are actually selling. I'll see if I can dig up anything . . .
Old 1/11/06, 08:23 AM
Bullitt Member

PAINTED MIRRORS?!?!?!?

:cheer: :cheer: :spin: :spin: :shock: :shock: :dance: :dance:

About F'n Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 1/12/06, 05:23 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_di...=398&make_id=92

Specs . .
Old 1/12/06, 06:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by sranger@January 10, 2006, 7:28 AM
Well,

Lets face it, like all of the other NON-4 Wheel Drive SUV's or CUV with plenty of ground clearance:

It is just a Mini-Van that men will be willing to drive.

I have a Mercury Mariner ( Escape ) for my company car and it has plenty of room to hold four adults and lots of luggage. I am sure this one will have enough room.

I personally think a Sports Wagon like the Magnum would have been a better choice...

I think it will look better in the Mercury badging with the water fall grill...
The reality is that all SUVs, 4WD or not, are just butched-up stations wagons so I don't see why it makes any difference in this case either. I bought my Escape because I needed the extra cargo capacity over a regular car but didn't want a station wagon or minivan. That's been one of the selling point of SUVs for years. I don't really see the point you're trying to make.
Old 1/12/06, 06:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Evil_Capri@January 12, 2006, 6:26 AM
http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_di...=398&make_id=92

Specs . .
Did anyone notice the optional wheel/tire package for the SEL? It's P245/60R18 all-season BSW on 18x7.5-in. painted aluminum or aluminum with chrome. That's some pretty hefty rubber!
Old 1/12/06, 10:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Evil_Capri@January 11, 2006, 8:31 AM
Kevin-

I was under the impression that when stories broke about Ford dropping the Freestyle they were in fact false. That the Freestar was getting axed (hence Fairlane Concept). The Freestyle (and the other twins) are actually selling. I'll see if I can dig up anything . . .

The Freestyle sold 77K units last year.

The FreeSTAR well...not as much and is going to get replaced soon
Old 1/12/06, 10:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by GT98@January 12, 2006, 12:47 PM
The Freestyle sold 77K units last year.

The FreeSTAR well...not as much and is going to get replaced soon
I do sell them, but one other CD3 CUV will nudge out the Freestyle

We will have Escape/Edge/Explorer/Freestyle/Fairlaine/Expedition, all going up about 3-4" per model sounds a little like overkill. Freestyle has just a smidge more legroom per row then explorer, going up another 10% in size would most likely move the Freestlye. It make sense to move it to another brand to keep down on shared models.
Old 1/12/06, 11:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by kevinb120@January 12, 2006, 1:55 PM
I do sell them, but one other CD3 CUV will nudge out the Freestyle

We will have Escape/Edge/Explorer/Freestyle/Fairlaine/Expedition, all going up about 3-4" per model sounds a little like overkill. Freestyle has just a smidge more legroom per row then explorer, going up another 10% in size would most likely move the Freestlye. It make sense to move it to another brand to keep down on shared models.

The other thing to consider is that the market for BOF SUV is going to shrink, and I've heard Freestyle sales are coming from people trading in their Explorers that they had. I'd rather see Ford offer more then enough models to cover the whole market that might take some sales from their other products, but keeps them in a Ford. Its not like these vechicles are costing huge amounts of money to Ford since they are based on a platform already in production.

The Fairlane is a Minivan replacement, just not in name
Old 1/13/06, 05:55 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am I the only one who thinks that new front end design language Ford is using on the Edge looks fantastic?! That should definitely be Ford's new "signature" look on 75% of its vehicles.

The Fusion is OK, but the Edge is a much better execution of this new design language, IMHO.

The Edge looks amazing! I want one! It just has a "quality" look about it, too, and if it's as well built as an F-150, then I think it will prove to be a headache for the Japanese manufacturers in this segment. (It looks like it's even available with NAV!)

Now if Ford could just introduce some passenger cars with more of the Iosis design language in them...and bring that hot Focus from Europe over here, the company would be rockin' again!

Anybody have any idea what a fully equipped Edge is gonna sell for...?
Old 1/17/06, 01:24 PM
Cobra R Member

the dude at the show said it still isn't decided yet, but my guess is maybe like a grand or two more than a v6 escape.

I really like the design too, bc_shelby. When i first saw pictures of it, i thought it wasn't that great and was worried it was gonna flop in sales because of it. But since seeing it in person, i've totally changed my mind. People say they don't like the wing-a-lings on the headlights. I actually see the headlights as more of a horizontal rectangle with an extra section below. But it'd be cool to see what they look like at night i guess. It seems to have lots of space behind the back seats too.
Old 1/17/06, 01:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@January 13, 2006, 6:58 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that new front end design language Ford is using on the Edge looks fantastic?! That should definitely be Ford's new "signature" look on 75% of its vehicles.

The Fusion is OK, but the Edge is a much better execution of this new design language, IMHO.

The Edge looks amazing! I want one! It just has a "quality" look about it, too, and if it's as well built as an F-150, then I think it will prove to be a headache for the Japanese manufacturers in this segment. (It looks like it's even available with NAV!)

Now if Ford could just introduce some passenger cars with more of the Iosis design language in them...and bring that hot Focus from Europe over here, the company would be rockin' again!

Anybody have any idea what a fully equipped Edge is gonna sell for...?
It will be Ford's new look. Check out this article from Autoweek.com.

Quick Reply: 2007 Ford Edge...