SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Who on here has owned a 03-04 SVT Cobra??

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/13, 12:37 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who on here has owned a 03-04 SVT Cobra??

I'm still probably going to go new, but I am considering going with a Cobra if I can find one at the right price and whatnot.

My only problem is two things. I would prefer one with low miles(under 50,000 I realize they're a 9-10 year old car) and unmodified(again I know they're a Cobra) All I'm finding is one or the other. One with high miles but stock, or one with low miles but modified to all hell. I'm wary of buying a modified car that I'm not 100% sure was done right. Especially at the price Cobras are going for these days. I'd hate to have a car a month and find a major problem which I assume is a risk with any used car

Anyways before this gets too terribly long, anyone owned one before? Anyone have a modified one? And if so how reliable were they? I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on the Boost-A-Pump Aftermarket systems. Maybe I can get some good advice on them.

Thanks guys.
Old 1/10/13, 03:58 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I bought mine with 40k miles on it. Heavily modified. Fantastic car. Have to remember, it's a built car from the factory. Forged motor. Great transmission. Really built to hold up. Lots of low miles, stock ones out there. Either way you can't go wrong, new vs' terminator.
Boost a pump is ok if installed correctly. Heard of problems but none with mine. Don't need one unless you plan on modding it, and if you do plan on mods, why not just buy one modded? Save yourself some money. Best advise is drive a new mustang and drive a cobra. Completely different cars. Decide which one you prefer. Keep into consideration what you want the car for, both cars are about the same hp stock. The new GT is gonna be limited to around 500hp while the cobra will handle 600-700.
Old 1/10/13, 04:36 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I bought mine with 40k miles on it. Heavily modified. Fantastic car. Have to remember, it's a built car from the factory. Forged motor. Great transmission. Really built to hold up. Lots of low miles, stock ones out there. Either way you can't go wrong, new vs' terminator.
Boost a pump is ok if installed correctly. Heard of problems but none with mine. Don't need one unless you plan on modding it, and if you do plan on mods, why not just buy one modded? Save yourself some money. Best advise is drive a new mustang and drive a cobra. Completely different cars. Decide which one you prefer. Keep into consideration what you want the car for, both cars are about the same hp stock. The new GT is gonna be limited to around 500hp while the cobra will handle 600-700.
Thanks a bunch for the info. I'm really wanting to keep whichever car I decide for a long time. I'm having trouble finding any low mile terminators within 500 miles of my area unfortunately. Let alone one with low miles and unmodified for under about $35k around here, which is almost a new '14 without the warranty. I've driven one Terminator that had a bit of work done to it(ported blower, pulleys, etc) the norm, but not the new '14. I might do that tomorrow. My worry mainly about buying modded, is the fact if it was done correctly. I don't know, call me paranoid. I've only dealt with the old 60's mustangs to be honest with the exception of a 4-cylinder Fox for a DD. I don't want to make gobs of power. I'm happy with what they push stock for now to be honest. I'm not wanting to go much more than maybe 550hp if I do mod. I've just heard nothing but good about them, that's what sparked the fire so to speak to check into it before I ordered a '14.
Old 1/10/13, 04:47 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a 03 Cobra that I purchased new, I had it lightly modified with pulley, exhaust, CAI and tune making 450 rwhp and it was a fun car to drive. You have to watch traction, if you wheel hop you run the risk of breaking half shafts or the IRS diff cover if it doesn't have a brace on it.

I sold mine last summer to buy the 13 GT and I don't miss it. The 13 is a great car, fun to drive and rides nice. I got tired of worrying about were I parked the Cobra every time I took it out and wanted something I could daily drive. Also got tired of the garage queen moving from storing location to garage all the time.
Old 1/10/13, 05:13 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tbone004
I had a 03 Cobra that I purchased new, I had it lightly modified with pulley, exhaust, CAI and tune making 450 rwhp and it was a fun car to drive. You have to watch traction, if you wheel hop you run the risk of breaking half shafts or the IRS diff cover if it doesn't have a brace on it.

I sold mine last summer to buy the 13 GT and I don't miss it. The 13 is a great car, fun to drive and rides nice. I got tired of worrying about were I parked the Cobra every time I took it out and wanted something I could daily drive. Also got tired of the garage queen moving from storing location to garage all the time.

That was another concern of mine. This is going to be something I can drive daily. How does the '11-14's do on traction compared to the Cobras? I did find a few online that have had a solid axle swapped in which would be a practical mod.
Old 1/10/13, 05:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Go new....
Old 1/10/13, 05:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JCStang
Go new....
X2. Your concerns are valid, and I think if you go the used Cobra route, you're going to worry about it everytime you drive it.

With new, you have a warranty initially, and you know its backround: it's new. You'll have no worries; you'll just drive and enjoy it.
Old 1/10/13, 05:55 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
X2. Your concerns are valid, and I think if you go the used Cobra route, you're going to worry about it everytime you drive it.

With new, you have a warranty initially, and you know its backround: it's new. You'll have no worries; you'll just drive and enjoy it.
I agree with the second half 150% Like I said in the original post. I'm still probably going to go new. I'm just weighing my options before I commit completely. I'm impulsive when I have money in hand so I figure while I don't quite have it all yet, might as well do my research now haha.

I'm really just looking on peoples tid-bits on their opinions from people who have driven/owned both.

I appreciate all the responses. I really do. This will be my first new car(if I go that route so I'm kinda wary of everything without all the facts. I might just go into and test drive a '13 today and see what I think about it.
Old 1/10/13, 06:01 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For me, buying new is tough; I hate the depretiation that I get when I sign the papers and drive off; an instant loss of a few grand.

My current Mustang was a used one; only 2000 miles on it's odometer, and still had it's factory warranty going. And because it was used, Ford did the "certified-pre-owned" deal, so I have an extended warranty above the factory and drive train warranty.

The full bumper to bumper warranty has now expired (I hit the 36K last month).

Perhaps looking for a 2012 trade in with low mileage and still has it's factory warranty could be an option? Would save a few extra coin, plus piece of mind factory warranty in place.
Old 1/10/13, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ian_289

That was another concern of mine. This is going to be something I can drive daily. How does the '11-14's do on traction compared to the Cobras? I did find a few online that have had a solid axle swapped in which would be a practical mod.
The 11-14 is WAY better on traction and handling. The solid axle swap on a cobra is for drag racers only. Actually hurts the daily driver handling.
Old 1/10/13, 06:06 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
For me, buying new is tough; I hate the depretiation that I get when I sign the papers and drive off; an instant loss of a few grand.

My current Mustang was a used one; only 2000 miles on it's odometer, and still had it's factory warranty going. And because it was used, Ford did the "certified-pre-owned" deal, so I have an extended warranty above the factory and drive train warranty.

The full bumper to bumper warranty has now expired (I hit the 36K last month).

Perhaps looking for a 2012 trade in with low mileage and still has it's factory warranty could be an option? Would save a few extra coin, plus piece of mind factory warranty in place.
That is one route I would probably go if I wasn't planning on keeping it for a long time. Depreciation doesn't matter so much for me. Plus if I go new, I can order it exactly how I want, and know that it's got 0 on the odometer(minus pulling it on the trailer and off haha) and no one's *** has been in it for lack of a less vulgar phrase If I go new I'll have to wait a little longer than I thought (one more month or so) and I'll be able to pay it off all right when they send the order sheet off so no car payments which is a big plus.
Old 1/10/13, 06:06 AM

The 11-14 is a different car. The cobra is a little animal. Not refined. A little dangerous. That's why I own one. Not because its a great commuter.
Old 1/10/13, 06:13 AM
GT Member

The 11-14 is WAY better on traction and handling. The solid axle swap on a cobra is for drag racers only. Actually hurts the daily driver handling.
Really? Is that because of the factory setup of the car? You'd think that a solid axle would help overall. Oh well. The more you know

The 11-14 is a different car. The cobra is a little animal. Not refined. A little dangerous. That's why I own one. Not because its a great commuter.
And yeah that's another concern of mine. Whatever I do decide will be a daily driver. Not permanently but for a year maybe. But until I can get another car for a DD I need something that'll be the best of both worlds. Which from what everyone's said will be the '11-14.
Old 1/10/13, 06:37 AM

The cobra came with IRS so it would handle better than the GT especially with the added power. It handles great. It's a great daily driver. Just not as good as the new mustang. The cobra with IRS is comparable to the new models in handling until you're driving in the rain. Lol
Old 1/10/13, 06:45 AM
GT Member

The cobra came with IRS so it would handle better than the GT especially with the added power. It handles great. It's a great daily driver. Just not as good as the new mustang. The cobra with IRS is comparable to the new models in handling until you're driving in the rain. Lol
Yeah I was aware of the factory IRS on the Cobra.

Out of curiosity. How close are the new GT and the Cobra in terms of power? I mean on paper they're close. Anyone test driven/owned both?

Fair enough. Well that's a major selling point on me. Unfortunately it rained last night and I wasn't aware of it. So I might not be able to go on a test drive without scaring the salesman haha

Maybe since it is supposed be warm today maybe it'll dry up a bit. Who knows?
Old 1/10/13, 08:28 AM

Yeah I was aware of the factory IRS on the Cobra.

Out of curiosity. How close are the new GT and the Cobra in terms of power? I mean on paper they're close. Anyone test driven/owned both?
The peak horsepower is about the same but low end and through the rpm range is not. With the supercharger, the cobra makes just about full horsepower from the time you step on the gas. No gradual build up as you pick up rpm. So the cobra will be stronger on low end. Like I said though, two completely different cars. Really hard to compare the two.
Old 1/10/13, 08:34 AM
GT Member

The peak horsepower is about the same but low end and through the rpm range is not. With the supercharger, the cobra makes just about full horsepower from the time you step on the gas. No gradual build up as you pick up rpm. So the cobra will be stronger on low end. Like I said though, two completely different cars. Really hard to compare the two.

Fair enough. I suppose the test drive on the '13 and my past experience driving the '04 Cobra I drove will have to suffice. No worries.

Thank for all the advice and feedback guys. I really do have to say, I normally dislike most forums but the community here is awesome. Can't say that enough.
Old 1/10/13, 08:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Really? Is that because of the factory setup of the car? You'd think that a solid axle would help overall. Oh well. The more you know
If a solid axle helped with handling/ride, there'd be more vehicles on the road with them instead of just Mustangs, pickups and a couple SUVs still built on truck frames. It's antiquated, only good for drag racers and silly that Ford didn't get rid of it when the '05 came out. I know Ford's done a fantastic job of making the solid axle as good as it possibly can be, but in daily driving, it's noticeable in a bad way. Not enough that I didn't buy it or don't still love the car but it's a negative to me.

As far as your original question, it sounds like you're going to be daily driving it and do some light mods. For that reason, it wouldn't be a question for me - get a '11 or newer. The 2010 interior upgrades make the interior a far better place to live every day than the '05-'09, let alone the Cobra's interior which is basically the exact same one the car had in 1995. The older interior just always felt cheap to me, with seats that made me feel like I was sitting on a phone book while driving, and the manual shifter was terrible too, IMO. I know the transmission itself is probably stouter than the MT-82, but the shifter position, gates, clutch pedal, etc. just never felt comfortable for me on the older cars. The newer ones are pretty fantastic in this regard, IMO, other than the lack of a telescoping wheel.

Besides all that, the newer one will get better mileage, ride more comfortably/quiet on the highway, have better traction with stability + traction control and just all-around be a better DD.

New Edge Mustang guys, don't get me wrong, I love your generation of cars too but to compare it as a DD to a new one, there really isn't a comparison.
Old 1/10/13, 08:36 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't buy a used cobra. Most people beat on them before selling them. Besides that the new 5.0 looks a lot better than the 03-04 year mustangs. Then there's the warranty you get from the dealer that's always nice to have as well.
Old 1/10/13, 08:46 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
As far as your original question, it sounds like you're going to be daily driving it and do some light mods. For that reason, it wouldn't be a question for me - get a '11 or newer. The 2010 interior upgrades make the interior a far better place to live every day than the '05-'09, let alone the Cobra's interior which is basically the exact same one the car had in 1995. The older interior just always felt cheap to me, with seats that made me feel like I was sitting on a phone book while driving, and the manual shifter was terrible too, IMO. I know the transmission itself is probably stouter than the MT-82, but the shifter position, gates, clutch pedal, etc. just never felt comfortable for me on the older cars. The newer ones are pretty fantastic in this regard, IMO, other than the lack of a telescoping wheel.

Besides all that, the newer one will get better mileage, ride more comfortably/quiet on the highway, have better traction with stability + traction control and just all-around be a better DD.
I'm with you on the interior of the older cars. Especially the 94-04's. They do look "cheap" as you put it. I can't think of a better term. Not that that's a bad thing, and Mustangs have always been a mid price range car. So you're not going to get a luxury car like a Lincoln. But it is nice that Ford is stepping up on appearance. As far as the T-56 which was the Cobra trans. It was a fantastic transmission as far as durability. Something the T-5's always lacked with high hp, but that's another story altogether. Comfort is a big thing in a car you're going to be in everyday. You guys are making it easier for me to go new. Only thing, I've never bought new so that's going to be an experience all in itself haha. I'll probably bring an edmunds tmv printout just to feel like I'm haggling. I'm sure that won't matter unfortunately. I might just bring a buddy who's bought new with me when I order. But again that's another topic altogether.

I really appreciate all the feedback guys. I really do. Makes me feel more confident in my initial decision to go new.

Quick Reply: Who on here has owned a 03-04 SVT Cobra??