SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

wheels for my 98

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/21, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheels for my 98

I have a stock 98 coupe with the stock wheels, and I am wanting some better looking wheels. I have found some used wheels from a Ford Fusion that I like, and the price is right. they have 225-50-17 tires. I am wondering if they will fit my car? You know, backspace, center hole etc. I know that the bolts fit.
Old 6/18/21, 09:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
According to this site:
https://www.wheel-size.com/

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/ford...m-38i-usdm-150
Your Mustang's specs:
Offset 30mm, bore size 70.5mm, bolt pattern 5x114.3mm (5x4.5")

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/ford/fusion/
There is no Fusion wheel that I can find that will work, bore size alone causes interference. You'd have to either shave off some bore so the wheel will fit over the hubs, or you'd have to switch to whatever year Fusion hubs, which is really a non starter.

2002-2012 same bolt pattern, smaller bore, 40-44 offset.

2013-today, smaller bolt pattern, yet smaller bore, 50+ offset.

None of that includes any sort of brake clearance, but the 17s and 18s MIGHT work with that... dunno for sure.

I'm not sayin' to do this, BUUUT.... you maybe can try some kind of adapters if they have some (or make some, just need some billet aluminum and a lathe, y'know...) because there's plenty of offset to play that kind of game. Ostensibly. Probably have to shave the original studs down a little maybe, unless they just happen to fit into pockets of the Fusion rims...

Lil' too much work for me, but you do you! I wish you luck in finding some new wheels! Welcome to the forums!
Old 9/11/22, 12:34 PM
csr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not too familiar on how to link other posts but this is a simple paste and copy

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...4/#post7069267

As "houtex" said above - if you have some spare off-set - spacer/adaptors can work well
The link is what I did to make 7 1/2" wheels with 40 off-set fit on my 2001 - might give you some ideas

Last edited by csr; 9/11/22 at 12:37 PM.
Old 9/11/22, 12:53 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Originally Posted by csr
I'm not too familiar on how to link other posts but this is a simple paste and copy

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...4/#post7069267

As "houtex" said above - if you have some spare off-set - spacer/adaptors can work well
The link is what I did to make 7 1/2" wheels with 40 off-set fit on my 2001 - might give you some ideas
Neil That Linkl Works Fine. I appreciate you Diving in. It is an Older Post and while the Original Poster may no Longer need the Info there are Always People Looking at Our Threads That Never Log on But Glean Help by Viewing Solutions. In the Past Some would point out the Post was old to whoever Posted in Lets Say a Non Complementary Fashion.

We are trying to Break That Cycle. For instance Yesterday while Viewing who was online I Noticed 4 people all viewing at the Same Time a 8 Year old Topic. That Confirms how important a lot of old topics are. And Things Change So Updating and Adding New Information Simply Makes That Topic Better.

I ended up Putting a Sticky on that Old Topic in Car Care. It has Had over 14,000 Views! I still to this Day get Emails on My IUP Message Center Upgrade for the 05-09 Mustangs. It's 18 Years old! Somebody from another Mustang Website will send them my way.

To Others Reading this Topic Realize those 600 average a Day Viewers of Our Topics are getting a Feel for the Website. After Reading those Topics Some will Join and Some will not Depending on the Value and Tone of Posting they See! So Can you Realize How Important what we Say & How We Behave Really is. It not Just Those Handful of People That Post in a givin Topic. It Can Be Hundreds or Thousands of People that Read our Comments. Think about That. Check Views on Some of the Topics! Just This Little Topic Has Been Read by 478 People! My IUP Topic Over 90,000 My Gt500 Conversion Topic Over 150,000 Does What We Say & How we Behave seem a Bit More Important in that Perspective! I think So!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/11/22 at 01:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
svopaul (9/12/22)
Old 9/11/22, 01:10 PM
csr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Still a bit new to this and still learning how it works - only got a smart phone this year!

It's a kind of given that when someone asks a detailed technical question, you always get the guessing and barely relevant answers
You just have to wade thru them in the hope there's going to be something useful at some point

I subscribe to the " keep quiet if you're not completely sure " method and something my mother said " if you can't say something nice " - don't say anything

Not always possible to follow this but I do my best

Take care

Neil

Old 9/11/22, 01:33 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Originally Posted by csr
Still a bit new to this and still learning how it works - only got a smart phone this year!

It's a kind of given that when someone asks a detailed technical question, you always get the guessing and barely relevant answers
You just have to wade thru them in the hope there's going to be something useful at some point

I subscribe to the " keep quiet if you're not completely sure " method and something my mother said " if you can't say something nice " - don't say anything

Not always possible to follow this but I do my best

Take care

Neil
Neil,
We are All Learning and you came here to TMS for Help. You got Some Help and In Return you have Gave Us Probably More Help & Knowledge Back Than you Realize. I saw your Post & took Advantage to Point some things out to other Members due to shall we say an Unfortunate Chain of Misunderstanding relating to Issues Described my Last Paragraph which Happened Recently. You Are Valued here & Look Forward to Learning more Together as a Group Here at TMS.

Oh and as you can See Houtex is a Very Knowledgeable and Helpful Member and Has Been for a Long Time! We Appreciate his Efforts as Always! he has Been around a Long Time!

Thanks

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/11/22 at 01:38 PM.
Old 8/19/23, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Topline wheels on my 95 Gt

I found out that if I wanted to get a set like I have you could buy the wheels from American Muscle and the center caps from eBay for 2,000 I paid 4500 for the car. I need to paint it and get the black leather redone and I could show the car. It’s bad ***.