SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Tire Size?

Search this Thread

Old 12/6/09, 10:50 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Size?

So I have a line on a great deal on a fully built rear end from a friend of a friend. Not my absolute choice for my next mod but it's too good to pass up and I was looking at a rear upgrade down the road in a few years anyway.

The only issue is that it has FR 430's in it which is probably a little more gear than I need. I'm assuming that I will run out of gear pretty quickly at the track with the stock wheels and that a taller tire would help offset that a bit.

Does anyone know the tallest tire size I can run out back without having to make any modifications? I want to run a drag radial if I can but wouldn't be completely opposed to running a slick if I had to.
Old 12/10/09, 12:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you still running quads? I don't think that height is really something that needs to be addressed as much as width. If you look back there the fenders are pretty open, and you should be able to fit an enormous tire back there. The problem is going to be when you are trying to go wider. First it will rub on the quad shock, which wouldn't be a big deal if you are running aftermarket lower control arms, or a 3-link setup, because you can just yank them at that point. After that it may rub on your exhaust, which is definitely not the most ideal situation for a tire under pressure... All of this can be avoided of course, but all things to think about.

I know I never really answered your question, but thought I would chime in anyway.
Old 12/10/09, 11:37 AM
GT Member

Yup, still stock out back except for springs and the exhaust. Going to run a 15x10 rim if I can, haven't really thought about tire width yet something between 275 and 315 I guess.
Old 12/10/09, 12:11 PM
GT Member

Also, I want to do this as cheap as possible but I also want to do it right. If that means saving up a bit more and having to wait to get the rear in the car then so be it.

I want to do sub frame connectors and lower control arms to beef everything up a bit for the new set up. Is there any other additions I should be considering for the base set up?
Old 12/13/09, 10:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think a 28' tall tire will offset it to like 3.73 or something, i'd go with a 26. those 4.30's will really help your car!!
Old 12/14/09, 10:50 AM
GT Member

Sounds good, thanks.

I can't wait, the tough part is going to be having to look at the new rear in my garage while I save up for tires ,rims, and all of the other parts.