SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Reset airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/15, 10:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Reset airbag light

My car is getting an air bag light, its giving code 32 but before I run to the dealer or the auto store I want to know how can I reset the light to see if I just some how tripped the fault my self or if there really is a fault in the air bag system? I just installed LEDs in my turn signal housings and an LED compatible flasher which I don't think should be causing this, but before I go troubleshooting the entire air bag system I want to reset the light just to make sure.

I am aware that the 95 mustangs have a grey connector that is on the pass side that is used to reset the air bag light, does the 2004 Mustang have anything similar??
Old 3/14/15, 01:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I dunno if the '04 has similar. You can probably find it, but it may be that they went full 'get a scanner to reset that'.
**Edit: After readin' the '03 manual it appears that isn't needed, just turn the key off, then turn it on and see if it reset itself. It will store the codes elsewhere if desired to retrieve them, but it will reset the light automatically if the problem(s) are repaired. According to the manual, that is.**

But I have questions... Does the horn still work? It wouldn't surprise me if it does not.

Go drive the car and see if the cruise control works. Also unsurprising if it does not.

But that's an educated guess, given that Code 32 is the Driver's Airbag has high resistance... aka, it's not connected, as far as the ABS box can tell. If the other two above have quit on ya, either or both, then the defnitely the clockspring inside the wheel has come apart in some way. Time for a new one.

Unless you've disturbed a connector that goes up the column to the wheel and/or it's corroded (the ABS computer is pretty sensitive to things, apparently) then the likeliest culprit is the clockspring.

You'll be pullin' the airbag (be sure to disconnect the battery for 20 minutes first!) and then the steering wheel to get at it. Have fun with that!

Edit: Here's a video about how to break down the steering column, so you can see where everything is supposed to be, and that yes, you'll be taking apart just about *everything* to get that thing popped out and put on.

I'm sorry. I really am. But here ya go, shaky, but really good info on it!

Last edited by houtex; 3/14/15 at 02:13 PM.
Old 3/14/15, 06:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
it is a base model car, no cruise (its not installed) horn DOES work properly, as well as turn signals and highbeams, so I am thinking of getting an air bag scanner, or having someone do it for me at least as far as getting the code out to see if the issue can be found