SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Oil Pan??

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/09, 05:16 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oil Pan??

Ok I got a stupid question. I am in Iraq working alongside the Army as a civilian contractor and was just told that one of my wifes friends has a 1994 Stang that is leaking oil under the engine. The mechanic that she took it too said that their is no oil pan on this engine and that there isnt supposed to be one from what I am understanding. So my question is........ Is there an oil pan on these engines?? Also what could be leaking if not?

I have many years mechanic experience under my belt so I know that there is supposed to be an oil pan to hold the oil. I have not seen any pics of it so I dont know what to think. Just looking for some advice to maybe help her out getting her Stang fixed. Thank you for the help.

Also I dont know if this is a V-6 or V-8.

Last edited by BoogieNights; 12/5/09 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Add more info
Old 12/5/09, 07:23 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Who ever she talked to wasn't a mechanic. There is an oil pan. The gasket might need replacing. The rear main seal might be leaking oil. The oil filter gasket might be leaking. A valve cover gasket might be leaking oil, letting the oil run down the side of the engine making it look like an oil leak coming from the bottom of the engine. Maybe something else, but there is an oil pan.
Old 12/5/09, 07:26 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Originally Posted by David Young
Who ever she talked to wasn't a mechanic. There is an oil pan. The gasket might need replacing. The rear main seal might be leaking oil. The oil filter gasket might be leaking. A valve cover gasket might be leaking oil, letting the oil run down the side of the engine making it look like an oil leak coming from the bottom of the engine. Maybe something else, but there is an oil pan.
Ok I knew I wasnt going crazy then. Yeah from what I can get is that it is from the bottom of the engine. I was thinking the oil pan gasket or oil filter housing gasket. I didnt think about the rear main seal. Thanks for the clarification of the oil pan.
Old 12/6/09, 01:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Like David said:
There is an oil pan. I have never heard of a car without an oil pan.

Another really simple stupid place to check for an oil leak is the drain plug gasket. It's plastic, and mine had a crack in it letting a lot of oil drip out. I think the new plug with gasket was 4 bucks. While someone's under there make sure they give the engine a good rub down to get some of the loose grime off. From there let it run til at normal operating temperature. Turn it off and jack it back up. If you can see where there is new oil then your question is answered. If you can't see anything, drive normally for a few days and check back. Any significant leak will be visible after a day or so of driving.
Old 12/6/09, 09:16 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Originally Posted by cntchds
Like David said:
There is an oil pan. I have never heard of a car without an oil pan.

Another really simple stupid place to check for an oil leak is the drain plug gasket. It's plastic, and mine had a crack in it letting a lot of oil drip out. I think the new plug with gasket was 4 bucks. While someone's under there make sure they give the engine a good rub down to get some of the loose grime off. From there let it run til at normal operating temperature. Turn it off and jack it back up. If you can see where there is new oil then your question is answered. If you can't see anything, drive normally for a few days and check back. Any significant leak will be visible after a day or so of driving.

Yeah I am with you on never hearing a car without an oil pan. I just wanted to make sure that Stang werent the odd ***** that I never heard about.
Old 12/15/09, 11:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
The only car I know that doesn't use an oil pan is this one:

1886 Benz patent wagon. Total loss lubrication.