SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Need new shoes.

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/06, 05:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need new shoes.

On the market for some new shoes for Murray Mustang.
Looking for suggestions on brands, types, pricing and where to buy.
Running 245/45/17 on Anthracite bullitts.
Please hurry...... Driving the 'backroads' if you know what I mean.
I drive hard everywhere I go.
Dont want to spend an incredible amount but dont want some nasty performance rubber either.
Thanks in advance for input.
Old 6/19/06, 05:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Looking for all season or Summer tires? For Summer tires, I like the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. Car and Driver did a comparison or tires and they won. They are real nice tires and arent too expensive (less than $150).
Old 6/19/06, 09:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Andy, just curious, will you be driving yours in the winter?
I have to drive mine and was looking around for some all-seasons with good decent snow traction.
Old 6/19/06, 05:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looking for summer tires. WILL NOT DRIVE IN SNOW EVER AGAIN!!!! Had to do it last year witht the theory that if I could get out of my driveway then I would drive. I had a number of occasions where I was driving down 104 at 15mph because any faster and the traction control would kick in.
I had a few scary moments where the car in front started to look strange through the rear window. Never ever again. Too close to the lake for those shenanigans.
I can see cloth now, this is getting rather urgent. Only need to replace rears however I might need to just burn through the front ones so I have to replace those as well.
Old 6/19/06, 06:06 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Have you tired tirerack.com? You can cross reference by brand, price, and people provide feedback for review.
Old 6/20/06, 06:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Going with Bridgestone Potenzas.
Was looking at tirerack already and thats where I found them for $110.
Old 6/22/06, 08:27 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I was gonna suggest looking at the Kumho 711s. I ran them quite a bit and were a great tire, especially for the price!
Old 6/24/06, 05:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Got them fitted. Now I dont have to panic about the old ones going kaboom. Looked everywhere for someone to mount the new rubber and found the only place was Sears who could do it same day (looking at over a week everywhere else).
Car feels fantastic, smooth and comfortable, a little road noise but you have to hunt for it over the sound of the exhaust.
Sears did a great job with the car it has never felt better, however, they left a huge grease/dirt mark on my door, door handle filthy, oil on seat, steering wheel, center console, door panel, floor mats all dirty. The blue valve stem covers I had have now been pinched on which looks stupid and the worst thing of all my car now has an extra 6 miles on it.
I am meticulous about my car, I keep it as clean as possible and spend a lot of time and money doing so.
Despite the great job they did I will never buy anything from Sears again.
Attention to detail, you could at least wipe the oil off the wheels.

Potenzas = 5star
Old 6/24/06, 08:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, Sears put 6 miles on your car?? Sounds to me like they did a little joy riding while you were'nt looking. Sure doesn't take 6 miles to drive from parking lot to garage then back to parking lot. I would've complained about it, and made them clean the filth they left behind, thats uncalled for! But i'm glad you like your new sneakers!
Old 6/24/06, 05:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would normally complain, however they did a really good job on the car.
As for 6 miles.... hope they liked it!
Old 6/25/06, 08:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tricky02GT
I would normally complain, however they did a really good job on the car.
As for 6 miles.... hope they liked it!
That doesnt sound like a "really good job" to me. They put tires on your car. Bubba down the street could have done that for you.

It's nice that they were able to to do it the same day, but they really made a mess of your car and apperently put it though a pretty intense test drive. That grease wont come out of your seat, and who knows what was done during those 6 miles.

Glad you like the tires though. I'm going to be looking for some for mine in the near future. Enjoy 'em!
Old 6/25/06, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Grease was only on exterior of door. General dirt stains inside of car which cleaned up in seconds. That I would expect as its a dirty job working in a garage. I let them off the hook because as you might expect, 4 tires do not easily fit in a Mustang!
The six miles I do not find acceptable, however I know they got out of the car with a smile on their face thinking what a nice car it is. Dont think they would have given it a real hard ride and even if they did its used to it! That is new to bald in 5000 miles, thats just the way I like it.
If you dont mind spending the money then the Potenzas are a great buy. Huge grip. Just when you think its going to break lose it pulls right back. Not sure how they are going to wear but I will be watching.