SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Leftover parts just means I did it better than the engineers, right?

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/23, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leftover parts just means I did it better than the engineers, right?

Please help, what is this? I posted a couple pictures with a quarter for size comparison. It also has "AA" stamped in to the base.

Short version:
This was on my work bench after "refreshing" a 3.8L V6. We put new gaskets/seals throughout the engine, from head gaskets to intake manifold and plenum.
Got the engine back together and was about to trhow it in; then this part was found. Hopefully I don't have to dig back in far enough to need new head gaskets and bolts again 😅

Long version:
The car belongs to my neighbors 17yr old kid with no mechanical experience at all. He blew the engine by running it without oil because of a nasty leak. He couldn't afford to send it to a shop to get it done. I told him to get it towed to my house and I'd help him with it as long as he works on it with me. His dad helped him get an engine from a junk yard, but it was in rough shape. So, we tore it down as far as we could without messing with the crank, cam, or timing at all. Replaced all the gaskets/seals and of course the head bolts because they are TTF.
I'm not a professional by any means, but I'm not completely inexperienced. Only engines I've worked this extensive was the 4.7L V8 out of my old "toy" Jeep, and a couple of my motorcycles. I did a little with the 4.6L V8 when I had my S197 Mustang. But, that's all the experience I had with Ford. This is the first time ever touching the 3.8 and I'm really hoping we didn't mess up.
Old 7/2/23, 02:57 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
That Looks Like the Clicker Button on an Ink Pen! Pretty Sure That is What it is!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/2/23 at 02:59 PM.
Old 7/2/23, 02:58 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Is it metal?
Old 7/2/23, 03:05 PM

Metal

Yes, it is metal. There seems to be a little carbon build up at the base and where it changes diameter. The wear on it makes me think it is some sort of valve. Here are a couple closer pictures. One to show where it is worn, and another to show the "AA" stamped on the base.

Old 7/2/23, 03:07 PM

I Was a Ford Partsman for 35+ Years It Could Be Some Kind of Part But I have torn Down a Few Pens on My Desk & Still Think Pen. Does it Smell Like Fuel or Oil???

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/2/23 at 03:11 PM.
Old 7/2/23, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Where Did You Find It?

KC
It was on my work bench. Nothing was placed in that area other than things that came from the the car while pulling the old engine or from the "new" engine as we tore in to it.
Old 7/2/23, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by LCpl Skates
It was on my work bench. Nothing was placed in that area other than things that came from the the car while pulling the old engine or from the "new" engine as we tore in to it.
Does it Have Hole in Bottom or Solid? Also See Other Post Again I Edited.

KC
Old 7/2/23, 03:27 PM

Does it Have Hole in Bottom or Solid? Also See Other Post Again I Edited.

KC
It is solid, no holes anywhere, no moving parts.
I'm also certain it's not from a pen. By itself, it probably weighs about the same as a standard Bic pen.
Old 7/2/23, 03:35 PM

It is solid, no holes anywhere, no moving parts.
I'm also certain it's not from a pen. By itself, it probably weighs about the same as a standard Bic pen.
Well if it is a Piece off the Engine it is a SUB-COMPONENT off a Larger Piece / Part making it Difficult to Identify. Like Part of a Sensor. I Just Looked at a BLOW up of 3.8L And Can Not For The Life of Me Figure What it Is. Does it Smell of Fuel or Oil? Wait a Minute You Said Carbon Tracking! The Center Pin of a Distributor Cap??????? Does Your Engine have a Cap?? You Never Said What year it Was??

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/2/23 at 03:37 PM.
Old 7/2/23, 03:59 PM

Well if it is a Piece off the Engine it is a SUB-COMPONENT off a Larger Piece / Part making it Difficult to Identify. Like Part of a Sensor. I Just Looked at a BLOW up of 3.8L And Can Not For The Life of Me Figure What it Is. Does it Smell of Fuel or Oil? Wait a Minute You Said Carbon Tracking! The Center Pin of a Distributor Cap??????? Does Your Engine have a Cap?? You Never Said What year it Was??

KC

It is a 2000, so no cap. There is no fuel, oil, coolant smell to it, it just smells like raw metal. There was no oil residue either. The piece is clean, so it's something covered/internal, but not something explosed to oil. With the only wear on it being where it transitions from thicker to thinner, it makes me think its some sort of valve or something like that. The smaller end has absolutely no wear marks as if it doesn't contact anything. The larger end has wear marks like it is pushed/pulled to open/close something. I was thinking maybe it came out of the IAC, but looked and there's no way (and it would have been dirtier).

I'm considering just tearing in to the old engine until I find it on that one 😅
If it was my own car, I'd just throw the engine in and see how it does. Maybe it'd throw a code and direct me to what it came from.
Old 7/2/23, 04:15 PM

I'm Guessing at This Point But I Never Give up on a Finding a Part! I Will Do Some Digging and Post if I Can Find Anything. Meanwhile Anybody Else Got Any Idea's. I Can't Believe it's Internal. More Like The End of a Sensor Type Thing. Likely External.

Maybe Something From Fuel Delivery System. Lmk if You Find it as Well! It Will Bug Me Till I know what it is! Could Have Been Dropped into Used Motor at Some Point And Was Laying in a Crevice. Could Be Part of a Tool Like a Spark Checker Etc.

How About A External Fuse Connecter Insert??? Or Some Spring Loaded Electrical Connector?

Here is The Engine Blowup From The Ford Shop Manual! Perhaps it Will Help in Your Search!

KC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2000 Mustang.pdf (841.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/2/23 at 04:29 PM.
Old 7/2/23, 04:31 PM

I'm Guessing at This Point But I Never Give up on a Finding a Part! I Will Do Some Digging and Post if I Can Find Anything. Meanwhile Anybody Else Got Any Idea's. I Can't Believe it's Internal. More Like The End of a Sensor Type Thing. Likely External.

Maybe Something From Fuel Delivery System. Lmk if You Find it as Well! It Will Bug Me Till I know what it is! Could Have Been Dropped into Used Motor at Some Point And Was Laying in a Crevice. Could Be Part of a Tool Like a Spark Checker Etc.

KC
Thank you, hopefully someone will come along and know exactly what it is. My parts came in yesterday to rebuild my old Honda V-twin's carbs. So, I'm going to set this aside for a bit. If I can't figure it out soon, I'll drop the "new" engine in to free up my engine stand and tear the old engine down to see if I can figure it out that way.
I appreciate your help with this. We'll get an answer.
Old 7/2/23, 04:37 PM

Thank you, hopefully someone will come along and know exactly what it is. My parts came in yesterday to rebuild my old Honda V-twin's carbs. So, I'm going to set this aside for a bit. If I can't figure it out soon, I'll drop the "new" engine in to free up my engine stand and tear the old engine down to see if I can figure it out that way.
I appreciate your help with this. We'll get an answer.
You Are Welcome! I Added Blow up PDF to Above Post Might Help!

KC