SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

I need some help, conv top!!

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/08 | 06:31 PM
Cobra R Member

I need some help, conv top!!

I will try to type this where it makes sense, but still short. On 1/8, I was going out of town with my top closed. It just flew open by itself. It opened to about 3/4 closed. I got it closed as much as I could grab it and I headed to my mechanic's shop. We had to help it, but we got it down/closed. I took it to my interior shop I use and the guy thinks the driver's side latch failed/broke. I filed it on my insurance, too. I am not good with the technical words, sorry! The body shop were I was to have it fixed said it just needed a piece that runs along the side. My bows, top itself, and back glass were fine. They found a donor top from a salvage yard that had those parts. I took it on the 6/16 to be fixed! Were I was having this done is 1 hour away. I used to live in this town and know they do great work! They called and said by time I got there, the car would be ready to get. I was 1/2 way there and they called back. I am really slow now, brain-wise, Unless I see it, it makes no sense to describe it to me! They said the top was fixed, but the pass door will not close unless you crack the window! I agreed, but I had no idea what that meant! We went ahead and went to it though. The top looks better than it ever has! The bows are more pronounced, IT just looks better to me. The pass side top now fits much tighter, so the door cannot shut under the fabric! Right away I knew the fabric near my pass 1/4 windows just fit better. You must roll the window down about 1", then it works right! Anyone know how to fix this? They are going to just work with my car Monday. They have like 3-4 projects. Being how I'm dumb anyways, it's all foreign to me! I am hoping one of you might have had this prob. Oh yeah! They said they never really took my top apart! They just raised the top 1/2 way, and could easily get to the part they was swapping out. Thanks so much in advance!!
Old 6/21/08 | 10:59 PM
Cobra R Member

A guy from another forum said it might be because of my SFC's I had put on. I'm not sure what that does, but it sounds like that could be it. Does any one have anything to add to that?:
Old 6/22/08 | 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't know what year your car is but on my '08, if I disconnect the battery for any length of time, I have to reset the power windows. If I don't, the windows won't lower and raise properly to clear the convertible top when I open and close the doors. If this is your problem, check your owner's manual for the reset procedure or just have a Ford dealer do it for you.
Old 6/22/08 | 11:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

My 99 Vert had simiar problem. Didn.t fly open, but without the windows cracked a bit, the door would not close properly. Always had to put the rear qtr's down to raise and lower also. When sh was newer, those side latches were always a bugger. Love the fix on the 05+, But opted for a coupe. $$$$$$.
Old 6/22/08 | 12:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Sorry, mine is a 95. I thought it said under my name and stuff.

It's not the windows that's the problem though. It's the pass side top, I think. It now just fits much tighter, so tight the window cannot fit under it to close. I'm sorry, I cannot describe crap now! I'm trying to get it to ya! You know how your fabric top fits over the windows? It's so tight the windows will not go under, so it can fit over. That might have made it worse. Thanks so much!!

I cannot even remember my last meal, but I knew that side fit snugger. I did not know how, it just looked different. That is the only way I now see changes. It is just different. I wish I had a pic so I could show you better.
Old 6/22/08 | 03:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

to me it sounds like the top isnt straight. is there a gap or does the drivers side look off. You should not have to lower and windows on your car to open or close the doors. sounds like something is bent .
Old 6/22/08 | 05:03 PM
Cobra R Member

To tell the truth, I just know it looked OK. I really concentrated on the other side. I cannot remember how it looked in the past. I can only spot changes. I just knew the pass side just looked different. I got nothing by looking @ the dr side. I did not really look too much though.

Before all of this when I put my top up, there was about a 1/2" gap in latching it down. I had to keep the button pressed to help it latch. Now it closes it like it supposed to. That's all I noticed. Sorry my memory is no jacked up!
Old 6/22/08 | 08:01 PM
Cobra R Member

I just realized!!! My top messed up on 1/8/08. I ordered my SFC's on 2/20. I did put them on while my top could not be lowered. I know the door worked fine during that time though. I even one time took masking tape and taped up the gap it had. I did that so I could wash it. This does not really help me determine the prob though. It just adds more confusion! If it worked fine before I still don't know why it does today. Maybe this will let you understand more though. Thanks again though!!

Last edited by eliyarbrough; 6/22/08 at 09:07 PM.
Old 6/23/08 | 06:02 PM
Cobra R Member

The top is working like it should now!! If I did not type about that cable, I meant to! I type so much, I cannot keep track. When I was there Friday, I talked with the worker guy. The owner was away on another job. He mentioned about that cable! He said it might need to be replaced. It was that. They could somehow loosen it. It works like a charm now though! It now is moved to the body shop 1 mile up the road. My 1/4 windows are about a 1/6" too high. I can just lower them so they will fit right. I did not know it was to go there next. I called and they said she was fixed, and I hit the road to get her! I will have the 1/4 windows fixed, my driver side window now does not roll down so they'll look @ that, and also I bought a newer set of black tails to go on. They said I 'should' get it in 2 days. They are very busy though! Thanks for your help through this mess! See ya!!
Old 6/26/08 | 05:42 PM
Cobra R Member

I just picked her up! Everything is working how it's supposed to, for now. Thanks so much for your advice!
Old 7/2/08 | 04:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Her she is with all of her goodies, so far! I only have the camera in my cell phone. It's not the best, but all I can get right now.

Old 7/2/08 | 06:50 PM
Post *****

Hook 'em Horns!
Old 7/5/08 | 12:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Here's better pics of it:

My fav, so far
Old 7/7/08 | 11:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Daytime shots: