SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

I need some assistance

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/06, 08:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some assistance

I just got a new amp and I'm trying to get the sucker installed, but I haven't done anything like this before and need some help. My car doesn't have the Mach stereo, but I do have wires that are attaching to the back of both the radio and the CD player that are labeled "AMP". Looking in the dashboard, there looks to be something that both of them are wired into, which I'm assuming is an amp.

Now here's the question...does this equipment have the RCA jacks that I need to hook my new amp into? Is it possible for me to easily remove this amp to get better access to it? If I hook the amp into this, will I still need to run wire to the individual speakers?

Thanks!
Old 10/8/06, 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, now I'm utterly confused....I pulled off the cover for the radio harness and disassembled everything...and I'm not seeing ANYWHERE to hook in my amp. I'm apparently supposed to have two RCA input jacks for the amp...can't find 'em anywhere.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10/8/06, 03:49 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
On a typical stock stereo, you do not have the RCA outputs to run to an amp. You can get a line level to rca convertor if you want to add RCA's. What will happen with that is you will have to splice wires off of the rear speaker outputs coming out of the radio, and it will go into a small convertor that has 2 RCA's.
Old 10/8/06, 03:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure if this will help you, but here it is anyways....I have the Mach stereo and I had my amp and 2 subs installed by professionals because I didn't dare mess with it even though i've done installs on older cars, I just didn't want to risk doing something wrong on my new one.
Anyways, my amp only powers my subs (I had no need amp the factory speakers), they hooked the amp up like this: Amp was attatched to the back of the back seat and the subs are in a trunk box. They connected the power/ground/remote wires as usual. For the speaker wires: They spliced into the rear decklid speakers and, using low-pass filters, connected it to the amp's speaker inputs then out to the subs. It sounds great!
I'm guessing there is auxillary amp output behind the dash/cd player because they didn't use any RCA's. But you may want to ask a pro (wich I'm not lol), but I just thought maybe this may help.
Anyone else know more to help him out???

Jason
Old 10/8/06, 04:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL, Scott already posted as I was writing...
Old 10/8/06, 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Scothew
On a typical stock stereo, you do not have the RCA outputs to run to an amp. You can get a line level to rca convertor if you want to add RCA's. What will happen with that is you will have to splice wires off of the rear speaker outputs coming out of the radio, and it will go into a small convertor that has 2 RCA's.
Nice, thanks Scot! I'm going to do it this way, with the converter, I thnk..
Old 10/8/06, 06:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wildstanglx90
I'm not sure if this will help you, but here it is anyways....I have the Mach stereo and I had my amp and 2 subs installed by professionals because I didn't dare mess with it even though i've done installs on older cars, I just didn't want to risk doing something wrong on my new one.
Anyways, my amp only powers my subs (I had no need amp the factory speakers), they hooked the amp up like this: Amp was attatched to the back of the back seat and the subs are in a trunk box. They connected the power/ground/remote wires as usual. For the speaker wires: They spliced into the rear decklid speakers and, using low-pass filters, connected it to the amp's speaker inputs then out to the subs. It sounds great!
I'm guessing there is auxillary amp output behind the dash/cd player because they didn't use any RCA's. But you may want to ask a pro (wich I'm not lol), but I just thought maybe this may help.
Anyone else know more to help him out???

Jason
Jason,

Thanks for the input...That'll give me some good ideas for when I get the new car, for sure!
Old 10/9/06, 08:25 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Yeah I mentioned splicing it into the rear speaker wires coming out of the headunit.. i didnt think about doing it at the rear speakers so that everything is right there together and you dont have to run as much wire.
Old 10/9/06, 02:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

As luck would have it, I ran into a buddy of mine in work that used to install car stereo's ( and still does, as a side business) and we talked about your idea and a couple of other things. We're going to get it installed on Wednesday...Thank God, because this amp has been sitting in my closet since my birthday...over a month ago! lol
Old 10/9/06, 09:41 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

take pics!