SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

How I painted my Center Bezel

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/08, 05:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How I painted my Center Bezel

\Just wanted to share this because i think it will make people more willing to be creative if they want
Materials I Used:
400 grit sandpaper
Duplicolor Filler Primer
Silver Metallic Duplicolor Truck and Car paint
Dish detergent
Duplicolor truck and car paint clear coat

Well first I took the the Bezel out of the dash which requires the Center Console to be out to and also the radio but my radio was already out . This is what you should get:

Push the ac vents out from the back of the piece.
Wash the bezel with the dish detergent and water. Make sure to dry it off good or else the paint probably wont adhere well.

Sand with the 400 grit sandpaper all over. Make sure to get it good in all corners.After sanding is complete, wipe off the sand dust with a clean cloth.Now for the fun part. Crack open that Can of Primer and spray LIGHT COATS!!!!! I cannot emphasize how important it is to do LIGHT COATS!!!!! IT WILL RUN!! I did two coats of primer, sanding in between each coat. You should have something like this:

u like my sock lol?!
Back on topic
After you are done priming the piece, sand it one more time since i wouldn't really recommend sanding the color coat. Now for the really fun part crack open the color u wish the bezel to be and begin to spray LIGHT COATS!!!!! I did about 4 coats of that:

Then You need to clear coat it!!! So it wont chip so easy. I used about 4 coats of that this is my semi-final product:

Remember:
Take out the Radio, open tray thing and AC vents.
Sand well and thoroughly.
LIGHT COATS!!!!! of paint, you dont want to get runs.
Spray at I say 5-8 inches,dont get too close or u will get runs, dont spray to far or the paint will be kinda "flaky"orange peally.
Make sure that the Piece is prep properly or else u may end up with "fisheyes"(little holes in your paint)if that happens the best thing to do is sand it down and start over at primer.

Let me know If you have any questions, and hopefully soon i will have a better pic of the final product.

Last edited by 95_5.0@16; 7/31/08 at 12:05 PM.
Old 8/1/08, 01:02 AM
Bullitt Member

bump
Old 8/1/08, 11:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Good info buddy.
Old 8/1/08, 11:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I painted mine body color when I got the car last year, but I'm thinking of returning some parts back to black, or painting the gray things black as you did to yours. I haven't decided yet. By the way my car is teal.
Old 8/1/08, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah it should be easier to return it to black than to paint it teal, because u should probably use flat black and it covers better
Old 8/1/08, 01:36 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Great writeup