SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Clutch sounds like a rusty swing set.....need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/11, 05:15 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch sounds like a rusty swing set.....need help!

I have a 2003 mustang gt vert, with around 82k on the dash. My clutch has recently started sounding like a rusty swing set, or a squeaky metal gate every now and again. It didn't worry me till now, Then just today it started to sound sorta like when your brakes start to grind or if you rub like two break pads together and get that sorta ceramic against ceramic sound. It doesn't do it constantly mostly on cold mornings when she first starts up.
Maybe like the pressure plate is not fully disengaging? If I push the clutch in maybe 4- 6 inches it seems to go away. When I fully release it, it will start again. I don't think it's the throw out bearing. The thing is it will do it whenever the hell if feels like it.

On a side note if I fully push the clutch down it sounds like the pedal is grinding against something.

Maybe a loose cable ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can get a sound clip if anyone thinks it mint help haha..

Thanks in advance fellow stangers ;-)
Old 11/8/11, 05:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
I going to say/guess it is your to-bearing but also take a look at your clutch. If you can get it up on jack stands or ramps pull off the inspection plate and take a look at things.
Old 11/8/11, 05:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I going to say/guess it is your to-bearing but also take a look at your clutch. If you can get it up on jack stands or ramps pull off the inspection plate and take a look at things.
Yeah I thought that too, it used to make a sound like a little bird chirping about 4 months ago, but it stopped a little while back before this started. From what I heard the throw out bearings is what about $50 bucks and about two arms, one leg, and three teeth for labor?
Old 11/11/11, 07:18 AM
Bullitt Member

If you are going to replace the throw out bearing, you might as well replace the whole clutch assembly while it is apart.