SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Calling all SN95 members. I am Thnking about a new mustang.

Search this Thread

Old 1/27/10, 08:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Lightbulb Calling all SN95 members. I am Thnking about a new mustang.

Alright guys, I'm thinking about getting a new mustang this year. Probably near the end of they year.

My brother is turning sixteen this year, and due to the wonderful economy conditions he is not going to be as lucky as I was. I received my current car when I turned sixteen, and he is going to receive nada. Sucks for him and I feel really bad. So I am going to try and get myself a new stang and hand him mine.

I think I want to stay with an SN-95 as I really like this body style over the S197s.

I have been looking online at the prices of 03-04 Cobras, 03-04 Mach 1s, and 01 Cobras.

I would love to get an 03-04 Cobra. I have always wanted a six speed manual, and an IRS. Plus 390hp sounds like some fun trouble. But the close to stock, well taken care of lower mileage cars are still in the low twenties, a little more than I think i will be able to swing at this time.

I have always liked the look of the Mach 1s and Azure blue is my second favorite color on the SN95, behind only to Bright Atlantic blue. 300hp is plenty for me I think, and could be a very fun platform to play with. I have been seeing these in the mid teens with decent mileage.

Now I have only recently been thinking about an 01 cobra. They seem to be a forgotten steed among us mustang fans, as I don't hear about them or see them much at all on the roads. But they have 320hp, about the same as a Mach 1 and an IRS which I would still want if I got a Mach1. I also really like the hood on these, and the simplistic clean look of the car in general. I have seen some of these with very decent mileage for low teens. One in particular I ran across had 40k miles on it and the guy was asking 12,000. Too bad I can't jump now.

No matter which car I get money to mod will be hard to come by as I'm in medical school for years to come.

If I got the Mach 1, I would want to swap out the suspension components form my current car and swap out the short throw shifter, and possibly wheels.

If I got the 01 cobra, I would want to swap the Short Throw shifter and wheels out, and try to scrounge enough mod money to throw a suspension upgrade on it.

If I got the 03 cobra, I would probably leave all parts on my v6 to give to my brother, which I think would be best for him, and try to scrounge up enough money to throw a suspension upgrade at it as well.

So fellas tell me what you think. Throw out some pros, and cons for me. On these vehicles. What should I look out for when I start getting out there and getting hands on with them. P.S. I haven't driven any of these believe it or not.

Last edited by lowblustang00; 1/27/10 at 08:46 AM.
Old 1/28/10, 01:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the 01 Cobra is probably the best bang for the buck out of the box. More power than the Mach, and it has IRS, and it's cheaper. I've seen them go for very low teens, and even saw one here with 50k miles go for 9,950.

To me, with those options, I really don't see the question.

If you want 390 horse, slap an s/c on it and have stock termi power, for less price.

Could just be me though...

And about the shifter... I don't think it'll fit any of your options since you have a T-5, and I don't think the 01 Cobra still has the T-45.

Last edited by cntchds; 1/28/10 at 01:32 AM.
Old 1/28/10, 02:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 cobra, for the price and the looks. You can always swap the internals and have your own termi down the road.
Old 1/28/10, 06:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'd go Termi if I was you. Better version of the IRS. 6-speed. Forged internals. Blower. Oh yeah, that is win. Plus take it from someone who has down the forged internal route, it sucks having a car down
Old 1/28/10, 08:02 AM
Cobra Member

If I got the 99/01 cobra I don't see any FI on the car while I owned it. probably just exhaust intake and tune. If anything for significantly more power I might change out to slightly more aggressive cams. 320-350 I think will be plenty to satisfy me especially since I'm used to 190hp. This car will get me through residency after which I will be looking for something new with more power.....Maybe a 5.0 in my future.

So, probably not a mach 1....hmmmmmmmmm.......guess its a snake for me. Now just witch one shaken or stired?

Originally Posted by Poisoned Pony
I'd go Termi if I was you. Better version of the IRS. 6-speed. Forged internals. Blower. Oh yeah, that is win. Plus take it from someone who has down the forged internal route, it sucks having a car down
Yea, I have been following your thread. It will be awesome when you get done though

Is there anything I should look out for when I start looking.

As for as the 99/01: If its a 99 make sure the recall was performed right. Anything else?

As for the 03-04: If its a 03 make sure the recall was performed right. Anything else?
Old 1/28/10, 09:24 AM

I think the head tick happens on 03/04 Cobras.
Old 1/28/10, 09:39 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with the 01. Enough power to satisfy for now and will alow you to upgrade to the Termi later.
Old 1/28/10, 10:05 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cntchds
I think the head tick happens on 03/04 Cobras.
yes but the 99 cobra had a recall because it didn't have the advertised 320hp. required a different intake manifold, exhaust and tune to get it there. all 01s came with the change. this is why there are no 00 cobras. They were busy fixing the 99s.
Old 1/29/10, 08:38 AM
Cobra R Member

If your going the 99/01 Cobra route I'd go with the '01. I'm sure the price difference is minimal and the '01 doesn't have the recall issues. On top of that the '01 was a lot of extra goodies including a 6 CD changer, suede seats, upgraded shifter handle, smoked headlights... I also think the IRS was retuned that year.

I would not think much about suspension upgrades until you start driving these cars. No matter what car you choose it should do just about everything better than your current V6. If you do plan on modding the 03 Cobra is the best bet because there is less to mod. This is the best SN95 money can buy, trust me. Depending on your money situation another great deal out there is 99-04 GTs. My cousin just purchased an '04 GT, loaded for $13,000 and it only has 25k on it! Just something to think about and good luck with your quest.
Old 1/29/10, 11:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 775 Likes on 566 Posts
your going to give your brother your old car or are you going to make him work it off some way? I ask because alot of kids who were givin cars didn't care enough about it not to wreck it! Those who had to work it off or pay for it in some way treated the cars much better.

My vote is for the 01 cobra also!
Old 1/29/10, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by lowblustang00
yes but the 99 cobra had a recall because it didn't have the advertised 320hp. required a different intake manifold, exhaust and tune to get it there. all 01s came with the change. this is why there are no 00 cobras. They were busy fixing the 99s.
I know that, but that has nothing to do with the 01s.

I think they are the "sleeper" New Edge. All the other performance editions were a bit over the top stylistically. (No, the Bullitt doesn't count.)
Old 1/29/10, 02:08 PM
FR500 Member

If you like blue SN95s, my vote would be Azure Blue Mach 1.
Old 1/29/10, 02:43 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I love the mach 1's for the hood and shaker...especially since they're soooo expensive aftermarket

the termi's are awesome, but so are the 01's.
Old 1/29/10, 03:35 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
The hood and shaker are definitely awesome. I'd just keep looking around and see what pops up!
Old 1/29/10, 08:05 PM
GT Member

2001 Bullitts are nice . .. . .I just bought one last month . . .. . .. they are a lot cheaper than cobras (and a lot rarer!) Mustang lovers pick out the green good looks of the Bullitt (lots of stares, questions, and offers to buy!)

Last edited by lsanch33; 1/29/10 at 08:06 PM.
Old 1/29/10, 08:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like your more of a handling and curves kinda guy, go 01 or 99 cobra. a few upgrades to that IRS and it will handle like a dream. add a 4.10 gear and that 4v will scream. the Mach is a good car too, with the updated "C" heads. The Mach will win in a drag race, but it sounds like you dont care about that. You could get a 99 cobra for pretty cheap since alot of people are scared to buy them. there really isnt anything wrong with them if they have had the recall done.
Old 1/30/10, 12:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by boduke0220
sounds like your more of a handling and curves kinda guy, go 01 or 99 cobra. a few upgrades to that IRS and it will handle like a dream. add a 4.10 gear and that 4v will scream. the Mach is a good car too, with the updated "C" heads. The Mach will win in a drag race, but it sounds like you dont care about that. You could get a 99 cobra for pretty cheap since alot of people are scared to buy them. there really isnt anything wrong with them if they have had the recall done.
Pegged me.......I really like taking the twisties.

It will most likely come down between an 01 cobra and a mach1. It will most likely depend on the better deal I find at the time.

Then again who knows there might be a beautiful 03-04 cobra out there with a price that can't be turned down.

Needles to say this will be a fun search.
Old 1/30/10, 12:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
your going to give your brother your old car or are you going to make him work it off some way? I ask because a lot of kids who were givin cars didn't care enough about it not to wreck it! Those who had to work it off or pay for it in some way treated the cars much better.

My vote is for the 01 cobra also!

Very good point, and there unfortunately is much truth to your statement.

But the car was just given to me (by our parents), and as such I will just give it to him. After that if he doesn't take care of it, it will be his problem.......Although it will also irritate me as I have done my best to take care of it and keep it in the best shape possible. I can only hope that he does the same. I also currently have no reason the think he won't.
Old 1/31/10, 03:49 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Good luck in your selection process! Can't go wrong with any of your choices.
Old 1/31/10, 06:00 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Be patient and look for a low mileage well taken of Termy, preferably a 10th Anniversary or MystiChrome.

There are no disappointments.