SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Buy a Mustang GT 4.6l 96 - 98: Points to take care about

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/15, 04:46 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy a Mustang GT 4.6l 96 - 98: Points to take care about ??

Hi folks,

I am likely to buy a Mustang GT 4,6L Coupe from 1996 - 1998.

So I have a couple of question for the Experts here :-)

What things has to be checked properly on a Car i'd like to buy?

What are the weak points of these Mustangs?

I think paint and interior (Surface of the Seats, steering wheel, etc.) are weak points an these models.. (Correct?)

Is rust an issue?

What about the engine, transmission and the clutch? What point has to be checked, before I make the deal?

Any knows issues on chassis, suspensions parts or brakes?

What about electronics? (ABS, Engine ECU, Instruments, etc.)

Thank you very much in advance!

P.s: As my nick-name suggests, I am not native English speaking, so I'd apologize my imperfect English

Last edited by BavarianStang; 7/4/15 at 04:56 AM.
Old 7/4/15, 08:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
with any car rust is going to be a concern, but its just a matter of how much rust ou will have to deal with and if the car sits out side and sees a lot of winter driving (salt and snow) that would tend to lead to more rust then say a car that sees only dry weather in the summer type driving.

as for the ECU and all electronics, check them, play with the buttons and see if any thing is "broken" if it is keep it in mind as a negation point, if you can take a code reader with you and use it to see if there are any stored codes in the computer, if so see what they are and what the fix(s) are and there is another bargaining point.

as for steering, any car that sees lots of driving time is going to need alignments from time to time, check the steering to see if there is any play or slop in the wheel (I would say there should be no more then an inch or two but I am very particular on my cars and require near perfection).

when your inspecting the car look at the overall "care"of the car, by this I mean does the car look clean inside? for example does the car look like the person actually cared and took pride in having the car, or is there loads of rubbish inside that just says Ï lived in this car and don't care about it"? granted you may or may not be able to tell but its at least something that can possibly give you an indication of how the car was cared for.

I call it "pride of ownership" and I do factor this into my purchases. as for the transmission if its an auto just how it shifts, is it smooth or is it jerky and slamming into gears? if its a standard does the clutch disengauge and feel tight but smooth? (this is one of the more difficult items to really quantify) can you shift through the gears with out issues?

when testing the car put it in 4th or 5th (what ever is highest on the transmission for the car in question) and *SLOWLY* release the clutch, the car should stall and die, if not the clutch is slipping and could cause you more issues down the road, and needs fixing.

I hope this at least helps some!!

I also did the best I can and attempted to translate into German language the same info I apologize if its not exact as my German language skills are rather unused in life....

mit jedem Auto Rost wird eine Sorge, aber es ist nur eine Frage, wie viel Rost ou müssen mit und umgehen können, wenn das Auto sitzt aus Seite und sieht eine Menge von Winterfahr (Salz und Schnee), die dazu neigen würden, führen mehr Rost dann sagen, ein Auto, das nur trockene Wetter im Sommer Art Fahr sieht.

wie für den ECU und alle Elektronik, überprüfen Sie sie, spielen mit den Tasten und sehen, ob irgend etwas ist "gebrochen", wenn es sich denken Sie daran als Negation Punkt, wenn Sie einen Code-Leser mit Ihnen können nehmen und sie zu sehen, wenn es irgendwelche gespeicherten Codes in den Computer, wenn ja sehen, was sie sind und was das Update (n) sind, und gibt es eine weitere Verhandlungspunkt.

wie für die Lenkung wird jedes Auto, das viel Fahrzeit sieht werde Ausrichtungen von Zeit zu Zeit benötigen, prüfen Sie die Lenkung, um zu sehen, wenn es irgendein Spiel oder Schmutzwasser in das Rad (Ich würde sagen, es sollte keine mehr als einen Zoll oder sein zwei, aber ich bin ganz besonders auf meine Autos und erfordern nahezu perfekt).

wenn Ihr Auto Inspektion der Blick auf das Gesamt "Pflege" des Autos, damit meine ich nicht das Auto sauber aussehen innen? zum Beispiel tut das Auto aussehen wie die Person, die tatsächlich gepflegt und war stolz darauf, mit dem Auto, oder gibt es eine Menge Müll im Inneren, nur sagt, ich lebte in diesem Auto und nicht darum kümmern? "gewährt Ihnen kann oder nicht sein in der Lage, aber es ist zumindest etwas, das möglicherweise geben Ihnen einen Hinweis darauf, wie das Auto gepflegt erzählen.

Ich nenne es "Besitzerstolz" und ich tue Faktor dieses in meine Einkäufe. wie für die Übertragung Wenn ein Auto, wie es verschiebt, wird es glatt oder ist es ruckelt und knallte in Gänge? Wenn ein Standard sich die Kupplung disengauge und fühlen sich eng, aber glatt? (Dies ist einer der schwierigsten Elemente, um wirklich zu quantifizieren) können Sie durch die Zahnräder mit sich Fragen zu verschieben?

wenn bei der Prüfung das Auto steckte es in 4. oder 5. (was auch immer am höchsten auf der Übertragungs für das Auto in Frage) und *LANGSAM* die Kupplung loslassen, sollte das Auto abgewürgt und sterben, wenn nicht die Kupplung rutscht und könnte Ihnen mehr verursachen Probleme die Straße hinunter, und muss repariert.

Ich hoffe, das hilft zumindest einige !!

Ich habe auch so gut ich kann , und versucht, in die deutsche Sprache zu übersetzen die gleiche info Ich entschuldige mich, wenn ihr nicht genau , wie meine Kenntnisse der deutschen Sprache sind im Leben und nicht unbenutzt ....
Old 7/4/15, 12:20 PM
V6 Member

@JIM: Thanks!!

I've read in the internet some issues about the intake manifold and some issues with sparks.

Are they still relevant, or in the mean-time solved/ replaced and/or if the things are not broken yet, they'll work for forever?!
Old 7/4/15, 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Those years had the least powerful modular engines except the cobra, I would consider a 99' up or get the 94'-95' 5.0.
Old 7/4/15, 02:40 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodsmustang
Those years had the least powerful modular engines except the cobra, I would consider a 99' up or get the 94'-95' 5.0.
All the Fox mustangs were less powerful. Just saying
Old 7/5/15, 10:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

personally IF you can go for a '00 - '04 a bit better engine in each one IMO and I can't remember exactly (looking through sources) but I think the '99 and before still have distributor caps and the spark plugs that were used were not the greatest ones used (I think they may have been a two piece design IIRC), I hope one of the people with a '99 or before can back up my info I have on those as well...

Bavarian your welcome for the initial info I work on cars a lot and do part time mechanic work as well so I do at least have ideas of what to look for if I am looking at a new ride.
Old 7/5/15, 12:18 PM

I just picked up a 98 GT it runs coil packs. The biggest issue I have seen is the plastic intake. But there are plenty of aftermarket ones out there I have read that the plugs can be a pain to get out but that's with any aluminum head. I know it doesn't have huge power numbers but the early 5.0 was only 215 hp these are 225 hp and no dist. Cap to worry with,
Old 7/5/15, 03:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bigdeputy
I just picked up a 98 GT it runs coil packs. The biggest issue I have seen is the plastic intake. But there are plenty of aftermarket ones out there I have read that the plugs can be a pain to get out but that's with any aluminum head. I know it doesn't have huge power numbers but the early 5.0 was only 215 hp these are 225 hp and no dist. Cap to worry with,
You may want to switch those horsepower ratings around.
Old 7/5/15, 07:31 PM

http://www.cars.com/ford/mustang/199...=USA85FOC051B0
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/199...fications.html

Here:http://www.themustangnews.com/conten.../#.VZnaGejD9SA
Old 7/5/15, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

stand corrected, congrats on your new stang!!!
Old 7/5/15, 08:11 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
The old castl iron 302 did peak at 225 before being downgraded to 215 in 1995. I read somewhere that the old 302 was overrated a year or two at 225 since emissions had taken their toll and was correctly rated in 1995. The 1996-97 4.6 was rated at 215 , while the 1998 was 225. 1999-2004 GT was rated at 260.
Old 7/8/15, 08:49 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The '99s don't have distributers they have COPs.
Old 7/11/15, 07:32 PM

Yep yep COP's
Old 7/12/15, 03:10 AM
V6 Member

The condition of the interior of these model years are oft no longer good..

Manly the seats and the leather of the steering wheel.

Regarding the seats, are the sport seats that you can recommend? For a fair price?
(Recaros??)
Old 7/12/15, 12:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

recaros are pretty decient, I think Brides are ok also...there may be other brands similar too