SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Backseat/interior removal help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12/15/15, 05:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Back seat/interior panel removal help needed

Ok long story short, my mustang got hit, and I got the insurance taken care of, I need to know how to remove the back seat/interior so I can sort out the dents, been searching but not getting the best info and don't want to beak anything if I can avoid doing so, also would like to know can I access the back side of the body panel by doing this procedure or am I just making more work for my self?

Last edited by Jim74656; 12/15/15 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12/16/15, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Backseat/interior removal help needed

Ok long story short, my mustang got hit, and I got the insurance taken care of, I need to know how to remove the back seat/interior so I can sort out the dents, been searching but not getting the best info and don't want to beak anything if I can avoid doing so, also would like to know can I access the back side of the body panel by doing this procedure or am I just making more work for my self?

I put this in the SN95 area just in case I can get more detailed assistance there, but I figured I would ask invade someone here might be able to assist as well.
Old 12/16/15, 11:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Kind of surprised nobody said anything on this yesterday.

It's not terribly hard. It's a little bit of time and a few bits of ponder, and maybe a small amount of thinking "oh, I'mma break something", but you won't, honest, kind of job. If you can fix dents, you can take these things out.

You'll need a few tools. Mainly a torx set, a phillips, some millimeter sockets, and either a rounded flat blade or a trim removal tool.

I don't have your particular model year, but I did some research and so far it seems:

Rear seat bottoms come out with a nice little push button on the clips under the bottom, left and right sides, right dang in the middle of where you'd sit, just under the lip of the seat bottom. You'll see 'em. Pop those as you pull gently up, and the seat will just sort of hop on out for ya.

Rear seat backs will then be bolted to the frame, and they'll be fairly obvious as to how. Whether it's convertible or coupe, fold down or fixed, these will be really simple.

The 'headrest' for the seats should be pretty obvious as to how that comes out.

The sides, you start with the sill plate, it just pops off.

You'll want to take off the seat belt, and the coat hanger. Those covers open pretty easy, and then it's just a bolt/screw.

In your coupe's case, I want to say there's two pieces for the sides. The upper part, the one by the windows, that should just be pushpins, and then it comes forward and out. The lower part, same deal, but it has to be second. I think. Double check, you'll see it. Oh, and there's probably a little bit of weatherstripping to move out of the way, but it's a pinch fit except the ends, and it'll be pretty 'oh, that's how', and pull it away.

There might be a bit of 'fun' getting the door area cleared. Might need a little bit of what might be worrisome, but it'll be ok, slight bending of the panel that might be interesting, but you'll figure that out too

And... that should be it. Fix the dents, and installation is the reverse of removal.

Don't be afraid of it. It'll be pretty obvious once you get the seats and headrest bit out. They're all just pushpins, pretty much.

Putting it back together isn't all that difficult, once you've done it. I did my '06, and it's just about the same idea, really, not much difference between your model and mine when it comes to this bit.

One note, though... the A-pillars (if you go that far) are kind of fun to re-slot so they fit right, and the rear uppers going into the meet of the top and package tray are also as fun. Don't be frustrated if you don't get it fitting right the first try... just pull 'em, Yoga 'om' for a few seconds, then try again. It'll get obvious soon.

My only need was the order: Rear seats, seat belts, coat hangers, sills, upper trim, all the dang pushpins, and voila, stripped and ready for my dent guy (who did freakin' wonders.)

Go fer it. Hope I helped!

---

Other vids that might help:

Weatherstrip (the bit at the rear is attached to the panels)

Replacement of a rear window SN95 Coupe:
(Just a couple of naughty words, but very informative.)

And finally, not a video, although this for a convertible... but the ideas should get you close, because it deals with the seats and the sides, a CDC light bar install in pics and words:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...4-install.html

Last edited by houtex; 12/17/15 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12/20/15, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by houtex
Kind of surprised nobody said anything on this yesterday.

It's not terribly hard. It's a little bit of time and a few bits of ponder, and maybe a small amount of thinking "oh, I'mma break something", but you won't, honest, kind of job. If you can fix dents, you can take these things out.

You'll need a few tools. Mainly a torx set, a phillips, some millimeter sockets, and either a rounded flat blade or a trim removal tool.

I don't have your particular model year, but I did some research and so far it seems:

Rear seat bottoms come out with a nice little push button on the clips under the bottom, left and right sides, right dang in the middle of where you'd sit, just under the lip of the seat bottom. You'll see 'em. Pop those as you pull gently up, and the seat will just sort of hop on out for ya.

Rear seat backs will then be bolted to the frame, and they'll be fairly obvious as to how. Whether it's convertible or coupe, fold down or fixed, these will be really simple.

The 'headrest' for the seats should be pretty obvious as to how that comes out.

The sides, you start with the sill plate, it just pops off.

You'll want to take off the seat belt, and the coat hanger. Those covers open pretty easy, and then it's just a bolt/screw.

In your coupe's case, I want to say there's two pieces for the sides. The upper part, the one by the windows, that should just be pushpins, and then it comes forward and out. The lower part, same deal, but it has to be second. I think. Double check, you'll see it. Oh, and there's probably a little bit of weatherstripping to move out of the way, but it's a pinch fit except the ends, and it'll be pretty 'oh, that's how', and pull it away.

There might be a bit of 'fun' getting the door area cleared. Might need a little bit of what might be worrisome, but it'll be ok, slight bending of the panel that might be interesting, but you'll figure that out too

And... that should be it. Fix the dents, and installation is the reverse of removal.

Don't be afraid of it. It'll be pretty obvious once you get the seats and headrest bit out. They're all just pushpins, pretty much.

Putting it back together isn't all that difficult, once you've done it. I did my '06, and it's just about the same idea, really, not much difference between your model and mine when it comes to this bit.

One note, though... the A-pillars (if you go that far) are kind of fun to re-slot so they fit right, and the rear uppers going into the meet of the top and package tray are also as fun. Don't be frustrated if you don't get it fitting right the first try... just pull 'em, Yoga 'om' for a few seconds, then try again. It'll get obvious soon.

My only need was the order: Rear seats, seat belts, coat hangers, sills, upper trim, all the dang pushpins, and voila, stripped and ready for my dent guy (who did freakin' wonders.)

Go fer it. Hope I helped!

---

Other vids that might help:

Weatherstrip (the bit at the rear is attached to the panels)
Mustang Roofrail Weatherstrip Ford Coupe 1994-2004 Installation - YouTube

Replacement of a rear window SN95 Coupe:
99-04 mustang Rear Quarter glass replacement - YouTube
(Just a couple of naughty words, but very informative.)

And finally, not a video, although this for a convertible... but the ideas should get you close, because it deals with the seats and the sides, a CDC light bar install in pics and words:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...4-install.html
Thanks, your info helped a lot, I got it as far as I needed, now I just hope to all that is holy I can put it together again!
Old 12/21/15, 08:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts

It'll be fine. Just be careful and take your time. Inspect each panel after install and remove and reinstall if it's off. Took me a couple tries on the rear window trim panel... that end corner is tough.