SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Axle Question

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/06, 07:49 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle Question

Been looking to get more of my power to the ground and have been looking into getting drag radials and possibly upgrading the rear control arms.

From what I have read, the more traction you get at the wheels, the greater the chance you are going to break an axle. I’ve even read books that suggest upgrading the axles even if you are only planning to run drag radials.

First, am I being paranoid or should I upgrade the axles to 31’s even if I only plan to run at the track once or so a month on drag radials.

Also, what (other then the axles) do I need to upgrade from the stock 28’s to aftermarket 31’s?
Old 9/19/06, 08:41 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
If you are going to the track and only running drag radials, you should be fine on the stock axles, unless you are making tons of power or you have a full on drag suspension going. If you have that type suspension, chances are you already know that you need to upgrade.

I ran slicks and nitrous on the stock axles and never had a problem if that tells you anything.

If you upgrade, you'll have to replace the entire rear diff (carrier). I would replace the bearings while there unless you really have low miles. Go ahead and upgrade gears while your there.
Old 9/19/06, 09:08 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm only running bolt ons and a tune so I doubt I'm making too much HP.

I think the plan is right now to run the drag radials and see if I can keep from spinning during launch. If not, I'll look into lower control arms.

Eventually I'd like to do the gears so maybe that would be a good time to shell out the cash and upgrade the axles and differnetial.

I just don't want to ever go home from the track on the back of a flat bed.