SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Anyone Running H&R Race or Eibach Pro Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 9/21/10, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Running H&R Race or Eibach Pro Springs?

I need some to get rid of the 4x4 look, but I also don't want to scrape the ground

Option 1: H&R Race Springs
http://www.americanmuscle.com/h-r-ra...ngs-79-04.html
Lowers front 1.25 rear 1.0

Option 2: Eibach Pro
http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach...-79-04-v6.html
Lowers all around 1.5

I have the Cobra-R front bumper that sits 5" from the ground, I'm kind of hesitant to get the eibach kit because it does sit 1/4 lower and I like the fact that the H&R's sit slightly lower in the front and higher in the rear. However, people have said that the H&R Race Springs may offer a harder ride.

What do you guys think? Also, would I have to purchase anything else if I got either of these? I hope not because I'm trying to stay on a limited budget.
Old 9/21/10, 05:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I absolutely love my H&R Race springs. My car had Prokit front springs before, but they were so soft that the whole car felt floaty. Once I got the H&Rs that feeling was completely gone. These springs are the best springs I have had on either of my Mustangs, and feel absolutely perfect with my Konis.
Old 9/21/10, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by cntchds
I absolutely love my H&R Race springs. My car had Prokit front springs before, but they were so soft that the whole car felt floaty. Once I got the H&Rs that feeling was completely gone. These springs are the best springs I have had on either of my Mustangs, and feel absolutely perfect with my Konis.
That's what I hate about my stock springs... It kind of floats or has a lot of bounce time over each bump in the road. It just doesn't feel like a Mustang... it feels more like I'm driving my wife's Mercury lol.

How stiff are the H&R springs when riding? I don't want a spring that's going to have a lot of bounce, but then again I don't want a spring that's so tough that it could do damage to the car and what not from hitting the bumps so hard.

Would I have to replace my shocks/struts with these? On there site they highly recommend it, but I'm not sure why. I only drive the car around 200-300 miles per year.

Last edited by rick; 9/21/10 at 06:17 PM.
Old 9/21/10, 07:33 PM

Like I said, I have Konis on mine, so I really don't know what they would feel like with stock struts and shocks. The adjustability of the Konis allows huge adjustments to go from comfortable at full soft to rock solid at full hard. I have no troubles with the full stiff on the road, but I digress. Point being that these are much, much, much stiffer than stock (almost twice as stiff [750-850 compared to 450 in the front]), so do not expect these to be anywhere near as plush.
Old 9/21/10, 10:07 PM
FR500 Member

Go with the recommendations. Depending on how much stiffer the H&R springs are compared to the stock spring rates, the OEM dampers (struts/shocks) may not be able to effectively control the springs. You could end up with the dreaded "ricer bounce". Ever considered Steeda Sport lowering springs? They lower the vehicle about the same amount as the H&R Race set but have spring rates that are a bit softer.
Old 9/22/10, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Go with the recommendations. Depending on how much stiffer the H&R springs are compared to the stock spring rates, the OEM dampers (struts/shocks) may not be able to effectively control the springs. You could end up with the dreaded "ricer bounce". Ever considered Steeda Sport lowering springs? They lower the vehicle about the same amount as the H&R Race set but have spring rates that are a bit softer.
I see... so the stiffer the springs the more wear and tear it'll be on my stock parts. I haven't really thought about steeda sports springs... They are a little more than the Eibach and H&R's. What would do more wear on my stock struts/shocks... the stiffer H&R springs or the 1/4" lower Eibach springs? Later on I def want to replace the stock dampers... just recently I purchased new FR500's and a few other things that I need to get paid off. The reason I started wanting springs were because the FR500's raised the car a 1/2 so it has a floaty look.

What about Ford Racing C-Springs that lower 1.25"? http://www.americanmuscle.com/forac.html Will they handle like the other two or? I'm just concerned because they are so much cheaper. 179 compare to 250.

Last edited by rick; 9/22/10 at 05:08 AM.
Old 9/22/10, 09:57 AM

I believe that C springs are a lot like Mach/Bullitt springs in their spring rates. I absolutely hated my Mach springs. The linear spring rate killed ride quality, and was awful over bumps. The H&R's I have now are much stiffer, but feel more forgiving over bumps. I would not recommend Ford springs for anyone wanting comfort.
Old 9/22/10, 10:26 AM

I believe that C springs are a lot like Mach/Bullitt springs in their spring rates. I absolutely hated my Mach springs. The linear spring rate killed ride quality, and was awful over bumps. The H&R's I have now are much stiffer, but feel more forgiving over bumps. I would not recommend Ford springs for anyone wanting comfort.
I see... with that said it looks like I'll be going with the Eibachs. They only sit 1/4 lower than the H&R's and the ride quality would probably be a little better. I just hope the Eibachs have somewhat of a stiffer ride than my stock springs do. Like I said earlier... the Mustang is like driving a family car.
Old 9/22/10, 10:47 AM

Yeah, I had the ProKit in the front before and it did not even compare to these. They might be what you're looking for, but they just weren't for me.
Old 9/30/10, 02:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

This. I have the Pro-kit with Bilstein/MM Sport shocks and struts. I've also ridden in Pete's car. Get the H&Rs.