SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

2004 Mustang Traction controlFog lamp questions

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/16, 08:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
2004 Mustang Traction controlFog lamp questions

Ok guys and gals, I have a "base model" Mustang V6, and after pulling my centere dash trim for taking a look at the radio for a possible upgrade to do, and saw that I had two extra plugs inside the blank out buttons, so my two questions are as follows

if I add the traction control button (or the fog light button) will every thing I need more or less be there already?

will there be any other pieces I need to add? (obviously for fog lights I expect to need the lights and lamp housings and the button)

or will both be a plug and play affair??? (just add the proper button, and swap bumper and add fog lamps and mounting hardware and use)

Last edited by Jim74656; 1/16/16 at 04:05 PM.
Old 1/18/16, 08:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Bump, surly some one out there can help here with an answer?
Old 1/18/16, 12:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
There's not a lot of SN95 owners on this site anymore...from memory, I don't believe the wiring for the fogs is behind the bumper. You should contact Starkey Products and see if they can help answer your question. I bought their GT/CS kit for my car when I removed my grille fogs. They include all the wiring and harnesses needed.

As far as the T/C, I really don't know, but I would suspect that car equipped with it have a different PCM. I don't think that Ford would install it in every car and have it disabled unless optioned with it. Sorry I couldn't help any further...
Old 1/18/16, 12:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks, its at least a start and who is Starkey products? are they a forum sponsor? do they have a web site?
Old 1/18/16, 12:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim74656
Thanks, its at least a start and who is Starkey products? are they a forum sponsor? do they have a web site?
I believe they are a forum sponsor. They use all OEM or OEM quality parts. Basically they take all the guessing work out of the equation. I'll look for the site...

http://www.starkey-products.com/

Last edited by laserred38; 1/18/16 at 12:52 PM.
Old 1/18/16, 01:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

ok cool, thanks bud for the assistance
Old 2/25/16, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least on the SN95 and Fox Mustangs, Ford included the same wiring on items like fog lights. Back in the day, Saleen bought V-6 Mustangs, then converted them to Saleen specs. Then used only half of the Mustang, preferring to remove parts not being used, then sell them. I bought foglight for my wife's 95 V-6 convertible. It included the switch. I found the plug for the switch as well as plugs for the foglight, which bolted in and plugged into the existing harness.

I don't know for certain, but I'd be willing to bet that the plug for traction control is in the center console. However, it may also need to be configured in the PCM. And as far as T/C is concerned, it is a dangerous implementation, and I turn mine off first thing after starting the engine.

Consider this situation, you are on a 4 lane divided highway at rush hour, and you are trying to make a left turn across traffic. Finally there is a small break which you can easily exploit, so you go for it, not noticing the sand in the turn lane. As you try to make the turn, you are aggressive with the gas pedal, and due to the sand, your rear wheels spin which activates Traction Control. This pulls the engine down and applies the rear brakes, but you are halfway across, and due to the brakes and engine management, you are stuck while a speeding car is about to T-Bone you. Boom! You are stalled and not able to baby the car out of the travel lanes

So adding fog lights, I understand. But T/C, if you want it that badly, I'll gladly give up mine cause I don't want it. I rarely drive the Cobra in the rain, and I don't use the cruise control when I do. Sure, I can light up my rear tires on wet pavement, but I can also modulate the gas pedal to avoid unwanted spinning.
Old 2/28/16, 03:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

well I know how to properly modulate the pedals to control the car in the wet, I just figure if I can make the TC work I might be able to make the button act like a hidden kill switch (you press it once to allow the car to start, and hit it again to disable the car starting type thing) or some other hidden function that would not have a second look at it...

as for the fogs that is good info, now to be on the look out I guess!!
Old 2/28/16, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want to look under the front of the car for wires terminated with a plug. Probably tied up out of the way above the fog light openings.

Check out the switch on the clutch pedal. Figure out how to make it look like the pedal has not been pressed. That will prevent the starter from engaging. Or you can wire it up to a switch (visible or hidden) and completely bypass the clutch switch. Of course that means that you can start the car without pressing in the clutch, so you'll have to be sure you're not in gear when you start the car. Cruise control too. Will not disengage by pressing the clutch pedal.

Another alternative is to use the inertia switch to the back of the trunk. Splice a switch into the right wire and you can disable the fuel pump with the switch.
Old 2/29/16, 02:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the Fog lamp info, will take a look when I get the car up in the air soon (it needs a bath), as for the switch I do like it, was kinda hoping I could use something like an arduino board/Raspberry Pi to control the function of the switch and keep that bone stock look and use it more with the intent of a valet mode but not have it obvious that it is a valet mode switch or button (or have an additional switch that is not factory looking) if that makes any sense