SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

1999 SVT Cobra Issues

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/16, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 SVT Cobra Issues

So I have had my cobra for about a year now and I got it from a really janky dealer in my area. The car itself is fast and looks really nice, but it's had many issues. A couple that I'm dealing with right now I really need some help with. Every now and then when I push in the clutch or go in neutral the car will rev up to about 2k I'm RPM and stay there even when I stop. When I turn off my car it stops and doesn't do it for a long time. Not sure what the cause is cause I just replaced my IAC. Could a bigger throttle body being put on mess with it?? Also the left side of my exhaust sounds dry/muffled while he right side sounds healthy and alive. Could my exhaust be clogged and cause too much back pressure? I'm still leaning a lot about these cars and I'm really trying to work out the kinks.
Old 5/30/16, 09:48 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Sounds like the throttle body is sticking open. They do that sometimes. Next time it happens, pull over and leave it running. Pop the hood and see if you can push the throttle blade back closed a little more. You may just be able to clean the TB and fix this issue.
Exhaust not sure. Gotta get under it and see how it's routed. Could be a problem with one of the mufflers.
Old 5/31/16, 01:35 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As far as the exhaust goes, the catalytic converters do get "plugged" so to speak over time and go bad.....might want to have someone check it out.
Old 5/31/16, 06:34 PM

The car itself is very old. It has 150,000 miles on it, and it was poorly cared for by the previous owners. I've been catching up with every single problem and these two things are just about what's left wrong with it. I'll have the cats checked out, and I'll try messing with the Tps and cleaning the throttle body to see if any of it helps. Thanks guys! I'll let you know how it goes
Old 5/31/16, 07:46 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I wouldn't really mess with the tps much. You can do more harm than good. With a scanner you can usually see where it is compared to where it needs to be. Honestly I'm thinking that the throttle blade is sticking open just slightly. There should be an idle air control valve that actually controls idle speed which can also stick. Try pushing the throttle back manually first when it's acting up. My 03 used to stick open at times but I could snap the throttle and it usually seated.
Old 5/31/16, 07:50 PM

Well if I have a multimeter to read the voltage that the Tps is sending through I can gauge what it should be at by adjusting it slightly. That shouldn't hurt at all. I couldn't use my stock Tps because some idiot stripped the bolts on it so I couldn't get it off the old TB. I can try doing that next time it acts up, I just thought that this would be happening all the time if it were something wrong with that, but it's only every now and then.