05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

XM Satellite Radio for Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/05, 07:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by PaulF@December 30, 2004, 11:35 PM
I've been thinking about XM/Sirius as an option for my current car....

Seriously, what's the advantage? I'm just having issues with having to pay for radio...
Go to the Sirius web site: http://www.sirius.com and see the variety of music and the breakout of different styles in the same category.
NO COMMERCIALS on the music streams, and you don't have to look for another station if you travel.
Once you go sat, you never go back.
Old 1/2/05, 08:10 AM
GT Member

Seriously, what's the advantage? I'm just having issues with having to pay for radio...
I think there are a few benefits for satellite.

1) Low maintenance -

I am not one to actively copy my CD's onto compilation discs (in mp3 format to get much more on a single disc). Yeah, I may do it once or twice, but my selections will get old real quick. So, it is easier to let the satellite provider provide the variety.

Same with loading up a bunch of CD's into the changer. I have had 3 cars with 6 disc changers. I rarely change them.

2) commericals. it has gotten truly bad listening to commercial radio. the commercials dominate the air time. I was riding with my daughter, and said watch this.... i pressed 12 of my fm buttons, successively. only 3 had music or talk, and were not on commercials. I have continued to do this, and the best is 50 / 50

3) Cost. I buy a few cd's a year. I'll buy less, and that will "subsidize" the cost.

Likewise. I'm not into pirating; so absent cd's I would be downloading from an online serice. This is not dollar for dollar, but does cut into most of the cost.

4) travelling..... not a hassle; same stations in other areas.

Downside.... I have more than one car. Mustang is a fair weather friend. So, when Howard goes onto Sirius, It will bug me subscribing in mutliple vehicles. I will have a permanent install in the mustang.

I'm waiting for my tuner to come in and get installed
Old 1/2/05, 08:26 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by hispony@January 2, 2005, 8:58 AM
Once you go sat, you never go back.
I can vouch for this big time. I just couldn't see myself paying for radio, it just didn't make sense. That was until I actually made the leap and got Sirius, the variety of stations available from sports to news to talk to comedy to 100 or so *commercial free* music stations has made me a sattelite believer.

I went sat, I'll never go back
Old 1/2/05, 09:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by lwing18@January 2, 2005, 7:13 AM

Downside.... I have more than one car. Mustang is a fair weather friend. So, when Howard goes onto Sirius, It will bug me subscribing in mutliple vehicles. I will have a permanent install in the mustang.

I'm waiting for my tuner to come in and get installed
If you have more than one car...There are several different models that are portable. You only have to pay for one subscription and you just have to buy multiple car docks.
Old 1/13/05, 05:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried the FM modulator with the Sirius Xact player... from what I understand it's ok if you live in an area that doesn't have many radio stations, but I live in LA and there was just WAY too much static for the FM modulator.

So I went with an Alpine deck that has XM capability and used the Sirius box to connect to Sirius... I LOVE the setup I have now and if and when I get a new Mustang I'll be replacing the stock deck with the Alpine one without question.

I got the Sirius service because Howard Stern is moving in '06 but I never thought I would love the service as much as I do... I rarely listen to CDs now
Old 1/13/05, 06:39 PM
Bullitt Member

You already replaced your head unit but this may work for someone else.
I travel between NYC and Philadelphia often.
I have Sirius with Kenwood Plug & Play head unit and docks. Two are cassette adapters and work fine. The third is an FM Modulator. I had to remove the van antenna to avoid signal crossover.
I'ts not like you need radio broadcast stations when you have sattelite.
Old 10/9/06, 05:05 PM

I have a XM roady xt set up in my mustang gt. The setup I have is rather nice. I did a search on ebay for an xm mount for a 2005 mustang and came up with one that is leather wrapped and goes around the right side of the radio to the floor.. If you have the black leather interior, it looks like it is from the factory. It comes with a monting screw that goes into the bottom of it but it holds so well from the side that I dont even use it... I ran the wires behind it and ran the power wire underneath the center console and plugged it in the power plug in the center compartment. It is out of the way of my shifter but is close enough to be useful. It sits right beside the radio. What im waiting for is the ability to control the xm thru the Shaker radio so I wont have to have the head unit out at all. I can post pics if yall wanna see it.
Old 10/9/06, 10:29 PM

XM in your GT

yes please Col,
I for one would like to see pics. Sounds like a nice install.

I have XM in my Element (stock, built in). I'm irritated that I'd need a second subscription to get XM in my Mustang, but might be prepared to do it if can be done nicely. Have the Shaker 1000 - feel a bit bad replacing it completely since it's the top option, but on the other hand it really doesn't sound good IMO.

thanks
Old 10/21/06, 05:07 PM

I absolutely love XM Radio. Got it a couple years ago and have never looked back. When I got my 06 Mustang though, I had to find a new reciever because I didn't like how my SkyFi2 looked with the charcoal interior. I choose the XM Commander because the colors matched the interior and it is smaller than my previous unit. I wired the antennae thru the interior and have it sitting behind the rear seats held on by velcro. In the past few months, I have yet to have any problems with the reception of the antennae inside the car. The reciever itself has a small wire go thru a gap in the dash and runs to the modulator which I securely mounted on right top of the factory radio. I guess my location of it doesn't work for ya'll with the MyColors options though.

http://www.xmradio.com/commander/index.jsp
Attached Thumbnails XM Satellite Radio for Mustangs-xm-002.jpg