05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

XM Satellite Radio for Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/04, 05:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I was just curious why XM Satellite Radio (or Sirius) has not been offered as an option on the new Mustang. They could hardwire it into any of the stereo systems; all the owner has to do is pay a small monthly fee. The longer you ask for it, the cheaper it becomes!

I've got XM in my Audi now and it has practically rendered my CD collection obsolete! I love it because the display shows the genre, artist and song title and most of the stations are commercial-free.

Does anyone know if or when it will become an option?
Old 12/30/04, 05:47 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Funny you should ask......

I had gotten a sky fi 2 for Christmas........For Eleanor...Happiest words ever: We are out of car kits.

I do have it in the house and olds though- I adore XM.

NOW I have a 6 disc changer- like it more. Got velvet revolver today
Old 12/30/04, 06:02 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@December 30, 2004, 6:50 PM
I had gotten a sky fi 2 for Christmas........For Eleanor
Hey April, enjoyed your highway tales. Thoroughly entertaining. Can't wait to share my own with y'all!

Yeah, XM rocks! I've got it in my car, in my home and on my PC. I'm hooked! A salesman at a local Ford dealer said they used to offer it as an option. We were both surprised to see that the Shaker 1000 system in the GT I "test" drove didn't have a "SAT" button.

BTW - Your yellow 'Stang kicks butt. I love that color. There's one at a local dealer and whenever I drive by, I can't keep my eyes off of it...
Old 12/30/04, 06:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

I installed Sirius a month ago. I haven't listened to more than a song or two on CD's since than.
Old 12/30/04, 07:26 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by CelticCub+December 30, 2004, 8:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CelticCub @ December 30, 2004, 8:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EleanorsMine@December 30, 2004, 6:50 PM
I had gotten a sky fi 2 for Christmas........For Eleanor
Hey April, enjoyed your highway tales. Thoroughly entertaining. Can't wait to share my own with y'all!

Yeah, XM rocks! I've got it in my car, in my home and on my PC. I'm hooked! A salesman at a local Ford dealer said they used to offer it as an option. We were both surprised to see that the Shaker 1000 system in the GT I "test" drove didn't have a "SAT" button.

BTW - Your yellow 'Stang kicks butt. I love that color. There's one at a local dealer and whenever I drive by, I can't keep my eyes off of it... [/b][/quote]
Why thank you I like Eleanor quite well myself......Actually about to go get me a sundae and some wine just so I can play

When they started talking about popping my dash, I am secretly thinking- Crap crap crap, let something happen to get me out of this. WHEW!

I have like 200 cds, will never get tired of em. I do have the boombox if I need my Top Trax fix.
Old 12/30/04, 08:11 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually I kind of thought of it the other way around, a 6 disc, MP3 player makes XM/Sirius not worth the money. That's why I am not getting XM/Sirius.
Old 12/30/04, 08:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by holderca1@December 30, 2004, 7:14 PM
Actually I kind of thought of it the other way around, a 6 disc, MP3 player makes XM/Sirius not worth the money. That's why I am not getting XM/Sirius.
True. But you have to load the CD's.
You've got to burn the MP3's
and eventually even if you have 200 cd's. you get sick of 'em.

and 65% of the people here are experiencing problems with their 500 & 1000's.
Old 12/30/04, 08:29 PM

XM rules, you will hear music that you will never hear anywhere else and music that you didn't even knew exsisted. Not to mention the comedy channel and news if your into that.
Old 12/30/04, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

I was considering satellite radio but I can't figure out where to put the tuner??? Where is everyone mounting it??? There are so many different mounts available and im not drilling holes or hiding the tuner inside the console, so what options do I have. How about some pic's, that would be even better.
Old 12/30/04, 08:45 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

They wanted to put mine between the two vents on the dash.
Old 12/30/04, 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey you can't get fox news on a CD! satillite rules. For you die hard music fans, gone the way of the four track, eight track now the cassette. No more prerecorded cassettes after Jan 1, 05 will be made.
Old 12/30/04, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@December 30, 2004, 9:48 PM
I thought about that location but couldn't come up with a good way to attach it. I was thinking about velcro but decided against it as it just might mess up the dash.
Some people have it stuck to their window with a suction cup device, that doesn't work for me. I will be installing it myself and I want something custom and unique. I also want it so I can see it and use it. Not hidden away.
Old 12/30/04, 09:12 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by LilHog+December 30, 2004, 11:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LilHog @ December 30, 2004, 11:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EleanorsMine@December 30, 2004, 9:48 PM
I thought about that location but couldn't come up with a good way to attach it. I was thinking about velcro but decided against it as it just might mess up the dash.
Some people have it stuck to their window with a suction cup device, that doesn't work for me. I will be installing it myself and I want something custom and unique. I also want it so I can see it and use it. Not hidden away. [/b][/quote]
The part when they said- we will loosen it here, and run the wire there scared me like a little kid afraid of monsters under my bed. I was having nightmares because this was the first 05 they had cracked...........and it didnt happen- YEAAAA!

Second site discussed was to the right of the shaker- right above the glove box. Someone stuck one up on the maplights.

Sky fi 2 has a remote control...
Old 12/30/04, 10:27 PM
Cobra Member

I am definitely going to get XM installed in the GT (when I get it). It's one of those things that you don't want to give up once you've had it.

I'll certainly ask the Ford reps at the Detroit Auto Show if XM (or Sirius) will be an option on future 'Stangs. I'll let y'all know what they say...
Old 12/30/04, 10:31 PM

Just so everyone knows, if you are planning on using the fm modulator you will loose sound quality and volume. The best way to hook it up is through an auxillary channel which you probably can't do with the stock shaker radio's. Its not that bad but its not as good as regular FM or CD. One more reason to get an aftermarket deck.
Old 12/30/04, 10:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've been thinking about XM/Sirius as an option for my current car....

Seriously, what's the advantage? I'm just having issues with having to pay for radio...
Old 12/30/04, 10:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by LilHog@December 30, 2004, 7:44 PM
I was considering satellite radio but I can't figure out where to put the tuner??? Where is everyone mounting it??? There are so many different mounts available and im not drilling holes or hiding the tuner inside the console, so what options do I have. How about some pic's, that would be even better.
My father-in-law fabricated a bracket that my Sirius "Orbiter" bracket connects with. Then the entire thing fits in my rear cupholder.

Makes it look like a cop car computer.

I'll post pics tomorrow.
Old 12/31/04, 04:55 AM
Bullitt Member

I think mounting it up by the map lights near the headliner is a good idea. But this creates two problems. First how to attach it securly, and second is the cords supplied with the unit long enough and able to be hidden out of sight. I need to do a lot more research on this before I purchase. I was looking at the XM Roadie II and this looks like a fairly small unit. I need to take a close look at the mount and see if it will work. I'd hate to pop out the shaker for an aftermarket satellite ready deck, but it's not out of the question at all. Especially if i could get the same power and sound quality as the stock unit.
Old 12/31/04, 10:35 AM
GT Member

Guess we have 2 XM/Sirius messages going on at once... sorry all.

Yes Satellite radio is addicting. I love it!
Old 12/31/04, 10:52 AM

OOops i searched and didnt see this one sorry man.

Quick Reply: XM Satellite Radio for Mustangs