05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

XM Radio!

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/05, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today my hubby and son successfully installed my XM Commander Radio.
Looks great and sounds even better. Tell me what you think of the location.
Old 6/18/05, 08:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know you will love XM but I like Chris and my location better.
Old 6/18/05, 11:58 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks, Rich. Glad you like it.

Hey Carol, glad you got "wired!" Looks like a great custom installation. Good job!

The system allows you a lot of latitude; you can place the controller in a number of locations because they give you so much cable. I even heard of someone placing it on the overhead map light housing! Not a bad idea, since backseat drivers can read the display with no trouble at all...

Now that you've got it installed, start programming your 30 preset favorites and your 15 favorite songs. The Commander has the ability to alert you whenever one of your favorite songs is playing on another station!

Welcome to XM Radio! :banana2:
Old 6/19/05, 12:21 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice indeed! XM is definitely a great add...

Personally I like having the XM receiver installed up high...

Old 6/19/05, 06:30 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm too lazy to reach.......
Old 6/19/05, 09:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Personally I like having the XM receiver installed up high..
We almost put it there, then changed our minds. As long as it works, huh?
Old 6/19/05, 10:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's the owners choice and the bottom line is enjoy the system!
Old 6/19/05, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Rich@June 19, 2005, 12:36 PM
It's the owners choice and the bottom line is enjoy the system!
You are so right!! Can't beat the XM!!
Old 6/19/05, 11:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by teddybear1255@June 19, 2005, 11:45 AM
You are so right!! Can't beat the XM!!

XM is the best thing to happen to modern radio. Ive had it for 3 years now and I rerely listen to the over the air channels anymore. I went aftermarket for the sound system. I have XM intergrated into my head unit.
Old 6/19/05, 04:22 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm having to turn the sound up louder for the XM than the stock radio. When I turn off the ingition, the XM goes off and the stock radio keeps playing....as it should, but it's way louder that the XM. Any ideas as to why? Hubby says it was installed as the instructions say.
Old 6/19/05, 08:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by teddybear1255@June 19, 2005, 5:25 PM
I'm having to turn the sound up louder for the XM than the stock radio. When I turn off the ingition, the XM goes off and the stock radio keeps playing....as it should, but it's way louder that the XM. Any ideas as to why? Hubby says it was installed as the instructions say.
The installation is just fine. This is normal. You may have to adjust the output volume level and keep tweaking it until it's just right. Also consider what your Shaker's "Speed Volume" is set too. That may have a bearing on your sound quality.

The XM radio did the same thing in my Audi. It was a nuisance at first, but then I learned how to adjust the output level. You press and hold the "disp/menu" button until you see a list of options. Dial the scroll wheel until "OUTPUT LEVEL" is highlighted with the arrows. Then press the center button and turn the scroll wheel up or down to the desired setting. If the music sounds distorted, you may have to adjust it again. Press the center button once you select an output level that sounds good and doesn't deliver any distortion. Details appear in the manual, however, they say most people don't have to adjust this setting. This will require a little trial and error and tweaking until you are satisfied with the system's performance overall.

I just got used to turning the radio volume down slightly before switching from XM Radio to CDs or commercial radio. Also, you'll notice a little static once you start up your car if the XM Commander has been left on. It will go away once it locks in on the XM signal. You can avoid hearing this static by just shutting off the radio before you remove the keys and/or open either door.

Hope this helps.
Old 6/19/05, 09:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Hubby and I had tried that earlier after we got home, seemed to help some, I'll just have to remember to turn the volume down on the radio(I have the single CD) before I turn the car off. I guess I'll have to get used to it. I'll keep doing trial and error till it suits me. Thanks for all your help with the XM.
Old 6/20/05, 06:51 AM
Cobra Member

Glad I could help!