05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

XM in a 2008 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/13, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
XM in a 2008 Mustang

I know that many of you are "past XM", but maybe not all. I searched and I saw little info so here goes.

First though, I should explain that I love talk radio and I love my old 40s sSwing, Jazz, old Country, old Rock, some Blue Grass, and I like my NASCAR. My wife bought me my first Delphi SkyFi and two docking station sets in December 2002 ..... and I have been an XM subscriber since. I have one SkyFi that is permanently on a Life Sub and I have my first one from way back as a second at reduced rate, and then I have a third which came in an Ebay deal that seems to have a life all it's own .... and in acquiring extra docking stations, wired in modulators, a boom box, etc ..... I have 4 spare SkyFi and a SkyFi2 stashed away .... all obtained ebay. These SkyFis are near bullet proof I think, my original has been dropped on concrete twice and spend best part of 8 plus years sitting in my police car 24/7 except my days off when I sometimes took it out. With a wired in modulator from Delphi, I am more than pleased with audio quality.

Today I installed a single lead antenna type Delphi docking station in our "new to us" 2008 GT. First, I obtained a Pro Fit DG-53-07-G3 mount and a set of antenna lead adapter cables Antenna Works 40-CR30.

Name:  DSCI0097800x600_zps427fe0cc.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  275.5 KB

I had before used a ProFit mount in my 2007 FX4 and remain very satisfied. The plate that the docking station attaches to has a large plastic collar nut to tighten adjustment and the "J-Hook" which I did not use on the Mustang .... but I did on my FX4 and it grips well.

Name:  DSCI0082800x600_zps2f280402.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  287.9 KB

I followed instructions posted on ProFit's websight, mounted the ball .... except instead of using two tapping screws, I made a back up plate for inside the dash above the glove box and used screws with nuts and locking star washers. They are hidden.

Name:  DSCI0092800x600_zps4bb05bbc.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  266.7 KB

I hid the Delphi wired in modulator behind the pas side water fall while off, strapped to a wing like tab to the left of the Restraint Control Module, I set it for 87.9 and attached the ground to a nearby bolt and took power off the lime green wire that feeds the #2 Powerpoint located inside the console.

I located the same color lime green heavy lead in the bundle above the pass footwell and confirmed it was the same by pulling fuse #64 under the hood and checking for power again .... then continuity from plug end back to splice point. It's fused 5 amps, the powerpoint circuit is fused 20 amps, so my XM's 5 amp will blow first.

I used the inline connection point located under the glove box to intersect the factory antenna lead to radio and antenna.
When XM is "off" the AM/FM radio works normally.
When the XM is "on", signal from antenna is stopped and only signal from modulator goes in at preset frequency.

I used some 1/4" split loom to protect it between console rear and rear seat front edge. I also used some split loom to protect cables from docking station and tie it with a wire tie at the ball mount and under the dash and it holds to the curve well .... though I may tighten it up.

Name:  DSCI0102800x600_zpsc0e94748.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  368.2 KB

The antenna used is a small nearly 3/8" high one that uses single lead, I pulled the rear seat and routed the lead under console under seat up right side of opening and set antenna in center depression of steel plate under rear package shelf carpet, it is hidden and works great ... even when parked in my carport.

Name:  DSCI0106800x600_zpsf807be36.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  249.9 KB

I really did look for info here and on XMFans site and there just ain't much info on a Mustang install. I know, there are factory setups, like my FX4 had factory Sirius (I just changed the connector and added an extension and use the factory Sirius antenna for my XM)..... but you can't move that and I use my receivers on or in 9 vehicles (2 GoldWings and 4 cars and a Forester and two trucks) and two boomboxes.

Last edited by tbear853; 7/13/13 at 07:14 PM.
Old 7/1/13, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good. I'm a fan of the SkyFi's also. Thanks for posting this!
Old 7/3/13, 08:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Rjimriley
Looks good. I'm a fan of the SkyFi's also. Thanks for posting this!
Oh, you are most welcome sir!

I can't see a separate sub for a radio that must stay in one car ..... that spends most days under cover in a garage .... and the SkyFi is tough!

This is my original receiver that spent 8 years mostly in a police car with some use on a MC or personal car, it's been painted a couple times too.

Name:  DSCI0001800_zps3cfa6261.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  285.4 KB

Last edited by tbear853; 7/13/13 at 07:09 PM.