05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Trunk Release Switch - One more time?

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/06, 07:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk Release Switch - One more time?

A while back there was a thread on wiring in a trunk release button. But, the pics must have dropped off wherever they were hosted. It was pretty hard to follow from just the description. Is there a how-to write up of this mod?

My '96 had a trunk release button in the glove box. It was a handy thing to have.
Old 9/26/06, 08:53 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yup, there was one on here. Dustin had a great write up that was lost when TMS crashed a few times. I belive his ID was dustind4u... something close to that. Search the members and his posts and you might find something to help.
Old 9/27/06, 07:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
Old 9/28/06, 02:12 PM
GT Member

Northwest,
I was recently searching for the same info, but I had no luck. I know I've seen it on here somewhere. If you do find it, please post a link!

Old 9/28/06, 02:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

I did find the thread. The instructions were from Dustindu4u on April 5, 2005, the title was Trunk Button. I just sent him a PM. I hope he can repost the photos that were missing from the thread.
Old 9/29/06, 10:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
I've got pix I took as well when I did mine... when I get home from work I'll look for them.
Old 9/29/06, 10:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

I also installed the trunk release button, per dustinu4u's great write-up. I probably still have pictures, at least my own and possibly some of those posted by dustinu4u. I'll check later when I'm home.
Old 9/29/06, 10:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Great. Thanks. The written instructions were good, but pictures would really help.
Old 9/29/06, 09:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Joe, I couldn't locate any of dustindu4u's photos, and found only one of mine:
Attached Thumbnails Trunk Release Switch - One more time?-dsc00503.jpg  
Old 9/29/06, 09:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

***Disclaimer*** I'm not trying to put anyone down who wants this in there car. It's your car do what you want. The following is JMO.

I don't understand the huge fuss over a trunk release button. You have a trunk release button on your key fob. IMO it's a lot less work to reach for the the key fob than to have to open my glove box.
Old 9/29/06, 10:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I wrote up a set of instructions when I did mine. Here they are:

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/TrunkRelease.htm

be patient, it takes a while for the pictures to load.

I find it very useful and it actually saved me once. A friend was helping me clean up at a car show and threw my jacket with my keys in the trunk of my convertible. I would have been totally screwed and would have had to wait for AAA if it had not been for the trunk release button.

I also find it very useful when I am in the garage and need to get into the trunk but the keys are in the house. It saves me a trip all the way back to the house.
Old 9/30/06, 06:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
***Disclaimer*** I'm not trying to put anyone down who wants this in there car. It's your car do what you want. The following is JMO.

I don't understand the huge fuss over a trunk release button. You have a trunk release button on your key fob. IMO it's a lot less work to reach for the the key fob than to have to open my glove box.
It's just very handy. Many times, my wife riding as passenger needs to be dropped off someplace, i.e. gym, and needs to get her bag out of the trunk on her way out, and it's a lot easier for her to find the trunk release button in the glovebox, rather than fumbling with the keys dangling from the ignition. Same when I drop my son off some place and his bag is in the trunk. It's just more convenient/easy. Ford just wanted to save a few pennys, otherwise the trunk release would still be there. JMO.
Old 9/30/06, 09:04 AM
GT Member

Does the trunk release button de-activate when the car is locked?? From what I can tell from the posted info it works when when the ignition is off. Seems like an easy way for an undesireable to open the trunk and quickly grab what they want (I realize anyone can pull the back seats down on a coupe...but it is harder to just reach in and grab things) And yes, the glove box locks which is great if one remebers to regularly lock/unlock the glove box...but what a pain in the...!
Old 9/30/06, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

To each his own. I think it's a handy thing. I had one in my '96 'vert, and had the top down most of the time (I'm on the sunny side of the Evergreen State). No problems.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll set mine up like SoFLOGT has it with the little FOMOCO yellow button, just like on my '96.
Old 9/30/06, 10:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Actually, not a FOMOCO yellow button. Looked like one in the thumbnail until I opened it up. But, looks like it will work just the same.

And, odiaz, thanks for the clear instructions. Even a klutz like me can follow them. By the way, I know Bethpage very well. I was transplanted out here to the middle of nowhere about 20 years ago. I bet the LIE is now an even longer parking lot since they increased it to how many lanes each way, 6, 8, 27?
Old 9/30/06, 09:00 PM
Bullitt Member

the LIE is three lanes wide in most spots with an HOV lane. I'm fairly lucky, I work in the city and take the tarin in, so I rarely have to deal with the traffic.

Good luck with the trunk twitch. I was hoping to find a yellow Ford switch at a junk yard but there aren't too many of those around here any more. I may just have to brake down and buy one from the dealer.
Old 9/30/06, 09:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm going to order one from my Friendly Ford Dealer. I don't think they are too expensive. I'll let you know the price and part number.
Old 10/2/06, 12:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
The price was around $10 or so from my local Ford dealer. This doesn't include the plug for the wiring though - I had to solder / heatshrink tube wires onto the switch leads.

Let me know if you need a part number, I know where my invoice is at home.
Old 10/2/06, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT

If you have a vert and manage to lock your keys in the trunk, maybe while you were cleaning the car while waiting at a meeting point for the rest of your Mustang club, you would not have to tell everyone to go ahead while you were waiting for your wife and a spare key ........... Ummm ... or so I've heard
Old 10/2/06, 08:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Chuck, don't feel bad, similar or worse things have happened to most of us. It's just Nature's way of giving you the fickle finger of fate

Quick Reply: Trunk Release Switch - One more time?