05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Trunk Release Button Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/07 | 08:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Trunk Release Button Install Question

A while back a few folks posted how-to's for installing a trunk release button in the glove box frame, like the kind that older Mustangs used to have. My '96 had one and it was handy from time to time.

I started work on this today, but trying to get at the wire needed to run to the switch proved too much for me. The wire bundle behind the access door in the passengers kick panel is a huge bundle that is encased in shrink tubing. I think it might mean major surgery to get at the one needed wire.

Is there anyplace else nearby that I can get at that wire? It is supposed to be white with a pink stripe.
Old 6/8/07 | 10:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Pull the sill plate on the passenger side. I tapped into it there, ran the ground to the far right, behind the glove box door, you will see a 10mm bolt and some other ground wires attached at that point. The wht/pnk wire is the smaller of the two in the bundle (thinner of the 2) Confirm by simply gounding that wire with a test light, trunk will pop. Good luck.
Old 6/9/07 | 08:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think I know why Ford stopped using the trunk release button. I owned an '03 Cobra. The first time my daughter and I took it for a spin, she's checking things out and opened the glove box. She sees the yellow button and asks me what it is. Of course, I didn't know so I said, "Push it!" She did. This was while we were moving at 45 mph. It only took me an instant to realize what had happened. I stopped the car and closed my trunk.

The reason why Ford stopped using this button is so that idiots like me won't push it while in motion. In all honesty though, Ford could have easily wired the button so it only operates with the parking brake on (or auto transmission in Park). The hatch release button in both my Camaros are wired this way.....
Old 6/9/07 | 02:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll give it a shot Paul. Thanks. I'm OK with the ground. I was going to use the same bolt you mentioned.
Old 6/9/07 | 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Say Paul, how's that sill plate come off again? I had the driver's side one off over a year ago, and I can't remember how I did it. I know it interlocks with the rear seat side trim. Do you just pull the thing up in the middle?
Old 6/9/07 | 03:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Paul,

I examined the '05 Mustang schematic and I don't see a white/pink wire anywhere on the Lid Release diagram. According to the diagram, I should splice into the White/Violet wire (Circuit 26) and ground it to activate the release relay. Are you sure yours was White/Pink? I'd just like to make sure.

Willie
Attached Thumbnails Trunk Release Button Install Question-luggage-compartment-lid-release-2.jpg  
Old 6/9/07 | 04:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

pull up on the door sill plate and pull it out then open the small little door. Pull the peice out and pull from the side and it is out
Old 6/9/07 | 08:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Ira, are you describing how to get the huge bundle out of the passenger's kick panel when you say open the small door? I'm thinking that if I can find that wire anywhere in there, I can splice into it.

As for it possibly being another wire like Willie says, maybe so, but a few other folks have used the white wire with the pink trace, and it appears to work. Maybe another wire will do the same thing?
Old 6/10/07 | 04:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Pull up on the sill plate cover, it is held with double sided tape and 3 or 4 clips. The reason I chose this wire loom bundle was "easy access". Too old to work up in the footwell area. As for the wire...if you check where the wires meet in the trunk lock area, (behind the black plastic cover) you will see that the actuator has one color wire, but the harness that it plugs into has the wht/pink (at least my 05GT does). Using a test light to ground this wire will pop the trunk. This is the wire that will be found in the wire loom.
Old 6/10/07 | 08:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Willie
Paul,

I examined the '05 Mustang schematic and I don't see a white/pink wire anywhere on the Lid Release diagram. According to the diagram, I should splice into the White/Violet wire (Circuit 26) and ground it to activate the release relay. Are you sure yours was White/Pink? I'd just like to make sure.

Willie

Yes, that schematic is wrong. the wire is definetely white with a pink stripe. I must have spent 3 hours looking for that white wire with the violet stripe. I found it by going into the trunk and looking at the wire attached to the trunk release mechanism. I then went into the bundle behind the kick panel and found the skinny white with pink wire.

I wrtoe up a set of instructions, hopefully this will help

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/TrunkRelease.htm
Old 6/11/07 | 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks guys. All of this has been very helpful. I think I've got it now. By the way Odiaz, I was using your writeup. I just couldn't get out that bundle shown in your photo number 3. It's in there too tight in my car.
Old 6/12/07 | 02:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

would be pretty cool if you could implement this button from the fox bodies.

trunk release button
Old 6/12/07 | 11:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by sound wave
would be pretty cool if you could implement this button from the fox bodies.

trunk release button
Why couldn't that one be used? It looks just like the one in my 96GT. In the S197 you could put it in the center console if it's too long for the glove box.
Old 6/12/07 | 04:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

oh, i am not saying it couldnt be used. i meant to say that it would be cool to use that one since it says "trunk release" on the button. instead of getting some generic temporary interrupt button.
Old 6/14/07 | 04:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dave, the button Gary showed (sorry, you actually showed it) in the photo does say Trunk Release on it. It is the same one I am using, and it is the same one I had in my '96. You can get one from your Ford dealer, but it's a little higher price. I forget, but I think I paid about $9.00 for it. I am expecting the connector to be in tomorrow. That will go on to the back of the switch (or you could just solder to the terminals).
Old 6/15/07 | 06:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Northwest GT
Dave, the button Gary showed (sorry, you actually showed it) in the photo does say Trunk Release on it. It is the same one I am using, and it is the same one I had in my '96. You can get one from your Ford dealer, but it's a little higher price. I forget, but I think I paid about $9.00 for it. I am expecting the connector to be in tomorrow. That will go on to the back of the switch (or you could just solder to the terminals).
Yep, exactly what I was thinking. Where are you mounting it?
Old 6/16/07 | 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Dave, I thought I had a picture of the switch in my '96, but couldn't find it. Anyway, I'll mount the button in pretty much the same place as Odiaz did. as shown in the thread he put in his reply above.

The Ford button should not have any problem with the glove box door closing because it doesn't protrude up much. And, there is clearance behind that area for mounting. The switch itself has a couple of plastic prongs on it so once you push it into the hole, they will keep it there.
Old 9/11/07 | 11:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok I hope someone actually looks in here or I might have to start a new thread.

Does anyone here own a Ford Fusion, I noticed that it has a trunk release button on the same panel as the light switch, I was thinking I may be able to jerry rig that to work in my stang. So if anyone has a fusion and can measure it up for me that would be great.

Otherwise I will just run down to the dealer and deal with the strange looks as a measure the switch assembly
Old 9/13/07 | 08:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MustangRetribution
Ok I hope someone actually looks in here or I might have to start a new thread.

Does anyone here own a Ford Fusion, I noticed that it has a trunk release button on the same panel as the light switch, I was thinking I may be able to jerry rig that to work in my stang. So if anyone has a fusion and can measure it up for me that would be great.

Otherwise I will just run down to the dealer and deal with the strange looks as a measure the switch assembly
someone posted a pic of this on a TMS thread awhile back. I don't remember the thread topic at all (except that it regarded a trunk release button).

Some searching may bring it up, but I'm honestly not sure.
Old 2/7/13 | 04:52 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by odiaz
Yes, that schematic is wrong. the wire is definetely white with a pink stripe. I must have spent 3 hours looking for that white wire with the violet stripe. I found it by going into the trunk and looking at the wire attached to the trunk release mechanism. I then went into the bundle behind the kick panel and found the skinny white with pink wire.

I wrtoe up a set of instructions, hopefully this will help

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/TrunkRelease.htm

this will prove to be useful for me!

Quick Reply: Trunk Release Button Install Question