05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Touch Screen Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 11/4/15, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Touch Screen Climate Control

Hi, I have a 2005 GT Premium. I have been extremely envious of the newer mustang interior technology (and all newer cars in general), so much that I have continuously upgraded mine. I have had the INSANE idea of removing the ***** and buttons controlling the climate control and replacing it with a touch screen to operate it. I plan on using a Raspberry Pi for the computing and an accompanying display for it. I have 2 bumps in the road; I want to shift the frame holding the radio up to accompany a larger screen, and the 26 pin connector is a slight mystery. If anyone could assist in these situations or just give any input it would be greatly appreciated. The coding itself will not be a problem; beginning the spring semester here, my old computer science teacher will be using her AP Computer Science 2 class, roughly 20 extremely intelligent high school students, herself (a computer scientist obviously), and my Physics Calculus teacher will be assisting with this part. The most help I would utilize is, if anyone has relocated their radio/altered the frame, and a diagram or schematic of what each pin on the black/yellow 26 pin connection is. Thank you in advance.
Old 11/5/15, 11:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=332&viewfil...l%20System.pdf

Check this out and see if it will help you any. You will also need section 54-1 to 54-5 of the (wiring diagrams) Mustang Workshop Manual. This is the wiring schematic from Ford. I tried to load it for you but couldn't. You can google it and find these sections if necessary. They break down the whole wiring for this system and cover the 26 pinout also. Good luck with your project.

Also note, that I have a writeup going on right now about using a touch screen set up and am currently working on that. It will have Bluetooth, GPS, radio, shut down apps, etc. It will also read the current condition of my vehicle thru the OBDII port. I have both wireless and wired modules, so however I end up hooking it up, it will work fine. I have an 07 so I already have the aux in wiring, so that helps. I am trying using the Nexus 7 tablet in one car, and the t/s with the Pi in the Mustang. Should be a fun summer.

Last edited by akdoggie; 11/5/15 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11/5/15, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for that link. I honestly think the only part that might be challenging would be (certainly a want over a need in this project) would be shifting the frame holding the radio (which I will be putting an android head unit in actually).
Old 11/11/15, 09:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a fan of the touch screen stuff.

I thought I was until I bought a touch screen radio.

I returned the radio because I can't do anything unless I'm LOOKING at it.

Whereas with buttons/***** I can operate everything without having to take my eyes off the road.
Old 11/11/15, 01:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Imatk
I'm not a fan of the touch screen stuff.

I thought I was until I bought a touch screen radio.

I returned the radio because I can't do anything unless I'm LOOKING at it.

Whereas with buttons/***** I can operate everything without having to take my eyes off the road.
Personally, I'm on a similar train of thought....

My DD is a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's got a big 8 inch touchscreen, mounted quite high... but the reality is, you can perform most of the functions without using it. To me, the only purpose in putting in a touch screen, is to achieve something you cannot otherwise achieve with tactical controls.

In the case of the mustang, a touchscreen can get you GPS, Sirius, Backup Camera, etc... which I'm totally onboard with (and have done). However, doing a bunch of work to get the exact same functionality doesn't seem all that productive to me.
Old 11/11/15, 02:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by friedmaster
Personally, I'm on a similar train of thought....

My DD is a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's got a big 8 inch touchscreen, mounted quite high... but the reality is, you can perform most of the functions without using it. To me, the only purpose in putting in a touch screen, is to achieve something you cannot otherwise achieve with tactical controls.

In the case of the mustang, a touchscreen can get you GPS, Sirius, Backup Camera, etc... which I'm totally onboard with (and have done). However, doing a bunch of work to get the exact same functionality doesn't seem all that productive to me.
Well I have an earlier Pioneer GPS deck that DOES have touch screen. BUT... it has buttons too

So I can use the touch screen for the GPS (or for everything else if I really wanted to) and use the buttons while I'm driving to change stations, source between Ipod, Sirius, Radio, etc. and I never have to take my eyes off the road.

This new trend of no buttons is just useless and not well thought out IMHO.

But in the day of people dying because they think it's acceptable to text while driving it doesn't surprise me that the touch screens are popular.

I'll stick to my "old" radio with buttons thanks... I'm not an expert driver like some of the texting folk
Old 11/11/15, 03:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Imatk
Well I have an earlier Pioneer GPS deck that DOES have touch screen. BUT... it has buttons too

So I can use the touch screen for the GPS (or for everything else if I really wanted to) and use the buttons while I'm driving to change stations, source between Ipod, Sirius, Radio, etc. and I never have to take my eyes off the road.

This new trend of no buttons is just useless and not well thought out IMHO.

But in the day of people dying because they think it's acceptable to text while driving it doesn't surprise me that the touch screens are popular.

I'll stick to my "old" radio with buttons thanks... I'm not an expert driver like some of the texting folk
I certainly don't text and drive. That to me is a big NO. As far a touch screen, I was like both you. I never had one or used one. I had a Shaker 500 and that was fine. Then modding took over. I decided to put in a Boss receiver/GPS. I hated it because of the screen dropping down to do a lot of things. I went to a factory navigation head (Freidmaster knows) and wanted steering wheel controls. I used a Boss steering wheel and did a write up on how to add swc's to our cars. I've always liked Android systems, so the next step was to a tablet or Pi unit. I've gone with the Nexus tablet design.

Saying that, if a person wants to text and drive, it can be done by voice. You tell the system what to type and it tells you what was typed back. You never have to take you eyes off the road. It's like talking on the phone. I'm sure it is also illegal, because it would show on your phone bill, but it would cure a lot of problems with texting and driving in my opinion.