05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Speaker sizes on 'Vert

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/06, 04:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 05 GT 'Vert with Shaker 1000. More than 90% of the driving is done with the top down, resulting in just an "OK" sound. Looking for advice on replacement of speakers in the doors and in the back passenger compartment. (Trunk really doesn't matter) Any one done this swap yet? What are the speaker sizes, which style/manufacturer would be best suited for a 'Vert? Is it best to switch to a "component" style, separating the high and low ranges? Any help and suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 4/21/06, 08:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Crutchfield has been no help...come on TMS. Spend my money!!!

Just want speaker upgrades and sizes, will live with everything else for now
Old 4/22/06, 07:27 AM
V6 Member

I think the speaker size is the same for all the newer model mustangs. They are 5x7 or 6x8 in both front and back.

I replaced my stock shaker speakers with a set of Pioneer TS-A6871R 6"x8" 3-way Speakers in both front and back. I love em, however ....

Crutchfield is currently running a deal where you can buy one pair of Kicker speakers at regular price and get a second set for half price. This includes the 6"x8" ones. So you may want to take a look at those.
Old 4/22/06, 08:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Jason...are the speakers you replaced the ones on the top of the doors, are they 6x8s? And for the back, if you have a 'Vert, are these the ones in the rear passenger compartment, and also 6x8? And if they were 5x7, do the 6x8s fit well? Any thoughts on upgrading the door subs, or are they best left alone?
Old 4/22/06, 03:51 PM
V6 Member

I have a hard top. The shaker 500 in it came with 2 in the door, 2 on the rear deck. I replaced them all with 6x8's, but you can use 5x7's or 6x8's. Either size will normally fit both front and rear. I left the door subs alone for now. I don't really think changing those would improve the bass performance/quality very much (if at all).

A good way to look for replacement audio components is to use Crutchfield's "What Fits My Car" feature on their website. This will tell you exactly which type of speakers will fit in the Mustang.
Old 4/24/06, 06:48 PM
GT Member

VistaJ,
Can you tell a big difference in sound quality with the speaker swap? I've been thinking about doing it, but wonder if its worth the hassle. What's a good brand?
Old 4/25/06, 03:19 PM
V6 Member

There's definitely a noticable improvement. But you're never going to get "true" boost in sound quality unless you change the entire system, starting with the head unit. The audio processor is where it all starts. But changing just the speakers gives a nice, cost effective improvement in sound quality. Some good brands to look into are Pioneer, Polk, and Infinity. I've had all 3 of those brand speakers in my cars in the past, and they all sound great.

Like an idiot, I let the dealer talk me into the Shaker 500, even though I knew I was eventually gonna want to change everything. The Shaker is a pretty decent system for a factory stock stereo, but for an audio-phile like me, I need it to be better.

Plus .... AC/DC deserves better than the Shaker 500. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]