05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Sounds goofy but I sure would like a

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/05, 05:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the black on dark charcoal interior sure is dark at night and the two overhead dome lights pretty much just light up the console area.....man there could be a rattlesnake in my footwell area and I wouldn't know till I stuck my foot down there...sheesh...

Anybody know of an electrical parts vendor where I could pic the light/sockets/switches up? I checked with Ford and they are N/A for the Mustang.....may have to call Lincoln and order the LS stuff - since it had the glove box and footwell lights....
Old 2/1/05, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I did a google search and came up with several sites by guys who did it using radio shack switches and bright LEDs. I'm going to do my glovebox first and then the console storage area. Footweels is a good idea. My brother has a LS. I'll have to take a look at that.
Old 2/2/05, 07:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by HOTLAP@February 1, 2005, 6:49 PM
the black on dark charcoal interior sure is dark at night and the two overhead dome lights pretty much just light up the console area.....man there could be a rattlesnake in my footwell area and I wouldn't know till I stuck my foot down there...sheesh...

Anybody know of an electrical parts vendor where I could pic the light/sockets/switches up? I checked with Ford and they are N/A for the Mustang.....may have to call Lincoln and order the LS stuff - since it had the glove box and footwell lights....
that's a good idea man, i wouldn't mind a little extra illumination. you never know out here in texas, there could be a rattlesnake or king size scorpion roaming around the parking lot at my office.

i'd like to see how the install goes and the finished product.

Old 2/2/05, 08:58 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by ZERO+February 2, 2005, 8:59 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZERO @ February 2, 2005, 8:59 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-HOTLAP@February 1, 2005, 6:49 PM

that's a good idea man, i wouldn't mind a little extra illumination. you never know out here in texas, there could be a rattlesnake or king size scorpion roaming around the parking lot at my office.

i'd like to see how the install goes and the finished product.

[/b][/quote]

Install should be fairly straightforward - glove box tap into an always hot wire and with the switch as the ground lead - then the footwell lights would have to be tapped into the door circuit positive and run to ground - that way the work just like the rest of the interior lights - on when you open the doors/unlock with the remote FOB or turn on with the dash switch.....lights are low amp draws so it shouldn't place much additional burden on the system......just need the parts and a schematic of the door switch circuit so I can tap the right wires.

"Mr. Ed" - can you post a link to the site you mentioned above - thx!
Old 2/2/05, 08:58 PM
Cobra Member

I noticed how dark the interior is too. I'll have to take a look in there to see how to mount a light in each footwell. I did that to a previous car easily, it already had the sockets, just needed the bulbs.
Old 2/2/05, 09:10 PM
GT Member

Now I'm going to have nightmares of my car filled with snakes. :shock:

I have driven home before with the cruise on and my feet pulled up in the seat after a snake crawled out from under a friend's hood. Let us know how it works.
Old 2/3/05, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just as an idea, on my old Stang, which was red inside/outside, I put red lights in the footwell, hooked up a switch, and it looked sweet at night when they were on...since my new interior is dark charcoal I think I'm going to switch to a different color when I do this, maybe blue or something...
Old 2/3/05, 11:08 AM
Cobra Member

All - Mr. Ed :worship: :worship: hooked me up with a link (see below) to a company that has all this kind of stuff for automotive courtesy/glove box, etc. lighting. I ordered the footwell courtesy and glove box lighting and will post as soon as I install. Considering a small (unobtrusive) overhead dome light for the rear as well.....would be easy to tap into the front dome lights - but I sure wold be nervous cutting into the headliner!

"http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/other_lights.html"
Old 2/3/05, 11:09 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Shannon@February 2, 2005, 10:13 PM

Now I'm going to have nightmares of my car filled with snakes. :shock:

I have driven home before with the cruise on and my feet pulled up in the seat after a snake crawled out from under a friend's hood. Let us know how it works.

LOL!! that's funny
Old 2/7/05, 10:18 AM
Cobra Member

This weekend I was installing Dynamat and securing a headliner rattle and decided to look into the footwell light wiring. I traced the harness back from the overhead map lights across the headliner and down the passenger side "A Pillar". If you remove the passenger side A Pillar trim piece (just pops out with several clips) you will see a single wiring harness. Midway up the pillar you will see a connector and I unwrapped the harness from the downside connector about 5 inches.
I then used two 22 - 16 guage wire taps to tap into the Light Green w/ Yellow stripe wire and the Black w/ Blue stripe. Then I ran the two wires down the A pillar (following the harness) through the dash to the back of the glove box area. I then routed the wires across the rear of the center stack into the driver's footwell area.
Until my parts arrive (see above post) I temporarly connected two side marker sockets/bulbs and it looks great to have the footwells lighted with the rest of the illuminated entry system.....
Old 3/14/05, 07:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by HOTLAP@February 7, 2005, 12:21 PM
This weekend I was installing Dynamat and securing a headliner rattle and decided to look into the footwell light wiring. I traced the harness back from the overhead map lights across the headliner and down the passenger side "A Pillar". If you remove the passenger side A Pillar trim piece (just pops out with several clips) you will see a single wiring harness. Midway up the pillar you will see a connector and I unwrapped the harness from the downside connector about 5 inches.
I then used two 22 - 16 guage wire taps to tap into the Light Green w/ Yellow stripe wire and the Black w/ Blue stripe. Then I ran the two wires down the A pillar (following the harness) through the dash to the back of the glove box area. I then routed the wires across the rear of the center stack into the driver's footwell area.
Until my parts arrive (see above post) I temporarly connected two side marker sockets/bulbs and it looks great to have the footwells lighted with the rest of the illuminated entry system.....
:scratch:

Hotlap, I have a question based on your comment - how do you remove the headliner? You make it seem so matter of fact, so could you enlighten the rest of us?

Thanx, Chris
Old 3/14/05, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

LED's, what a great idea! I'm adding this to my list of things to do once I have my car . . .

I can't believe the car doesn't have foot well lighting! It has a trunk light though, right? I'm really starting to see what a striped down car the Mustang really is. I know it's 300HP and all, but why did my '88 Tempo have more stuff than this new Mustang?

It's not like any of that is going to stop me from getting it. (Maybe that's what Ford had in mind.) Ahh well, one of the biggest reasons I like the car so much is because of it's no nonsense simplicity (al la 1960's). Go fast, look good, and forget the little crap! :drive:
Old 3/15/05, 01:48 AM
Cobra R Member

There was another posting about varad led lights , interior lights, exterior lights etc. You may want to do a search, but that had a lot of different lighting options, which would be perfect for foot area and in glove box. they had lights behind door handles etc. good luck if thats what you might be looking for.
Old 3/16/05, 08:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Sonic05@March 14, 2005, 8:51 PM
LED's, what a great idea! I'm adding this to my list of things to do once I have my car . . .

I can't believe the car doesn't have foot well lighting! It has a trunk light though, right? I'm really starting to see what a striped down car the Mustang really is. I know it's 300HP and all, but why did my '88 Tempo have more stuff than this new Mustang?

It's not like any of that is going to stop me from getting it. (Maybe that's what Ford had in mind.) Ahh well, one of the biggest reasons I like the car so much is because of it's no nonsense simplicity (al la 1960's). Go fast, look good, and forget the little crap! :drive:
Sonic - I hear ya....Ford definitely had to keep the price down on the Mustang to keep if affordable to the "younger crowd"..LOL.. I'm in my early 40's and have always been a Mustang fan...but coming off a Lincoln LS V8 Sport there are certain things that are a must....like adequate interior lighting....I have the glovebox, footwells and added an additional light in the trunk for better interior visibility.....good luck!
Old 3/16/05, 10:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Sonic05@March 14, 2005, 8:51 PM

Lots of LED ideas here http://www.ledtronics.com/
Old 3/17/05, 05:17 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by HOTLAP@March 16, 2005, 10:57 PM
Sonic - I hear ya....Ford definitely had to keep the price down on the Mustang to keep if affordable to the "younger crowd"..LOL.. I'm in my early 40's and have always been a Mustang fan...but coming off a Lincoln LS V8 Sport there are certain things that are a must....like adequate interior lighting....I have the glovebox, footwells and added an additional light in the trunk for better interior visibility.....good luck!
Could you post some pics of how you added those lights? I have some light sockets at work that would most likely do the trick and would like to put in at least a couple footwell lamps. Thanks.
Old 3/17/05, 05:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by woody1@March 17, 2005, 12:47 AM
Lots of LED ideas here http://www.ledtronics.com/
That is VERY cool stuff, and exactly what I've been looking for, thanks for the link!
Old 5/16/05, 08:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by frdtch05gt@March 17, 2005, 7:20 AM
Could you post some pics of how you added those lights? I have some light sockets at work that would most likely do the trick and would like to put in at least a couple footwell lamps. Thanks.
I decided to do this too! I followed Hotlap's directions above for accessing the wiring and found a pair of plastic led lamps on eBay for only $2.00 each that looked good (first pic). Then I did the wiring and installed the led units. They looked good but were way too wimpy in the light department.

[attachmentid=21361] [attachmentid=21362]

So I then dug out a pair of metal brackets I've used on early Mustangs (second pic). I bent each bracket mounting end slightly so that it would be in line with the floor when installed (the dash mounting points are at a slight angle down.) I also had to go to the local Pep Boys and pick up a pair of two-wire sockets and bulbs to fit the brackets. The results are shown below.

[attachmentid=21363] [attachmentid=21364]

A couple of notes: The open bulbs are not an issue - I've used these on daily-driven 65/69 Mustangs for 15 years without anybody getting burned or having the bulbs broken.

Also, do NOT ground the brackets or your footwell (and map) lights will stay on all the time. That wasn't a problem on the passenger side since I screwed the bracket to the plastic trim to the right of the glove box base.

However, on the driver side I chose to mount the brackect using the existing hold-down screw to the left of the OBDC connector. (There's no nice plastic lip there like on the passenger side!) Doing so grounded the connection and left the lights on all the time. So I dug through my miscellaneous leftover parts and found a plastic washer/sleeve gizmo that effectively insulated the bracket from the screw and chassis and all was well again!

Now I have to repair the gaping holes in the dash trim on the passenger side that I created mounting the led unit! Fortunately you can't see it without getting down on your knees and looking up.
Old 5/16/05, 11:16 PM
Bullitt Member

One thing that agrovates me is there sn't a light under the hood.

Anyone got a place that shows a good setup for this?
Old 5/17/05, 12:25 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by ChrisM@March 14, 2005, 8:30 PM
:scratch:

Hotlap, I have a question based on your comment - how do you remove the headliner? You make it seem so matter of fact, so could you enlighten the rest of us?

Thanx, Chris

Chris - sorry to have taken so long to respond - no you do not have to remove the headliner to add the footwell lights to the existing interior lighting system. Just remove the passenger side "A" pillar trim piece and you will see the harness coming up the A pillar. (see my detailed instructions above for wire colors, etc.) It really is fairly straightforward. Good luck!!

Quick Reply: Sounds goofy but I sure would like a