05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Sirius Radio question

Search this Thread

Old 9/13/05, 12:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering,

If you get the Sportster radio, does it have a jack you can use so you can plug a 1/8 or 1/4 plug into it? I want to use it for both my car and my work stereo. I'm hoping I can just buy the sportster unit, plug the sirius unit into my car stereo's aux plug when i drive, and when I'm at work, I can just plug a couple of computer speakers into the unit. Of course this means I'd need 2 antennas, but that'd be worth it if I could get away with not buying 2 tuners. I couldn't get a good look at the unit at my local best buy, so if anyone knows about this, I'd appreciate any response. I just don't want to use the FM modulator, as I've heard the output on those suck ****.
Old 9/13/05, 07:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

No the FM Mod.'s aren't bad depending where you live. I live in NJ and the radio stations are strong, but I get good signals with FM Mod with my Sirius. Right now the only adapter for the AUX is made by PIE. Do a search on the forums for PIE adapter. As of right now it doesn't work right. I have one. There was sometihng no found in testing when PIE shipped them out and no you have to leave the radios with the dimmer lights permanantly on as a temp fix until they find out how to correc thteir problem with it. I'm just gunna send mine back and stick with FM modulation. GL!
Old 9/13/05, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Actually the PIE aux adapter is made for the shaker system. I"m talking about the aux 1/8" input for a 3rd party car stereo. I'm thinking about a JVC at this point. I think sirius has a line out adapter.
Old 9/13/05, 10:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Chuck,

You probably already know this but if you are planning to use the radio at work you will need to be near a window and be able to get the antenna facing in the proper direction. These things don't work if your desk is in the middle of a cube farm like mine!
Old 9/13/05, 10:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Hellcat6@September 13, 2005, 9:03 AM
Chuck,

You probably already know this but if you are planning to use the radio at work you will need to be near a window and be able to get the antenna facing in the proper direction. These things don't work if your desk is in the middle of a cube farm like mine!
Drew,

Fortunately I'm near a window facing SW. Will that work? Do you happen to have a portable unit?
Old 9/13/05, 12:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Why not just use Sirius streaming through the net.
Old 9/13/05, 01:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by tw0scoops123@September 13, 2005, 11:12 AM
Why not just use Sirius streaming through the net.
Thought about that, but I'm not always in the office. It'd be nice to have a portible unit. And I don't have faith that the internet version will be able to handle the massive amounts of people all the time.
Old 9/15/05, 01:14 AM

Just for point of reference. I have the JVC (s2000? later model I know that much!) radio. Started using just the built in FM Mod and it was pretty good. I ordered the in-line modulator that JVC sells (it goes inline between the antenna an your radio). It helped clear up the signal. Later I updated the radio and it had RCA in. That was the best signal, but very close to the inline FM Modulator.

All this was in my previous car. I havent pulled the system out yet for my new 'Stang. I use the streaming version every day at work, and it works very well. Only issue to keep in mind is Sirus only streams the music channels (incase you wanted to listen to an entertainment one that is).

Hope that helps. I personally love my JVC. Six discs of MP3's are holding me over till I can get it installed again
Old 9/15/05, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Todd,

So there is a line out on the unit? I'd rather use a line out than an FM modulator. Also I'm going to get Sirius to listen to more than just music.
Old 9/18/05, 09:49 PM

I liked the JVC based on the options it offered. It has built in FM Mod which isnt bad. It has three jacks on the back of the craddle (same craddle used for home and car install too). One is power, 2nd is for External Fm modulator, and 3rd is for line out.

I started using the built in FM mod and it wasnt bad, but I knew it could be better.

I ordered the wired FM Mod from JVC. It basically plugs inline between your antenna and radio with a connector to the craddle. When the JVC is on, it blocks the antenna and only allows signal from the JVC. So with this, doesnt matter what channel you are on.

My head-unit died, and I replaced it with a new one with RCA in. I grabbed a 1/8 inch to RCA jack wire and ran it from the craddle to the radio. This was the best sound imo, but very close to the wired Fm mod.

I summarized them all incase others are interested. I looked at the different radios sirus offered, and went with this one since it gave me the most options.

I looked up the unit on the JVC site. The radio us model # KT-SR2000. I bought the home (KS-K6013) and car kit (KS-K6012) at that time. The external Fm Mod was from the JVC Accessories site (part # 112C3159) and price was $17 + shipping. The 1/8 in to RCA cable I got from a local Radio Shack and was less than $8.

For now, I will prolly just use the wired FM mod till the bugs are worked out on the AUX button for the Shaker 500. I will also prolly grab a new sirus antenna instead of trying to salvage my old one. I havent figured out how, or where I will mount the radio (suggestions are welcome ) but will try and post once I complete the install.

I would have worked on it this weekend, but the weather was nice, and I ran to the beach instead, haha!

Hope the info helps!

[edit: correction, there is four jacks on the cradle, the 4th is for the sirus antenna ]
Old 10/4/05, 08:25 PM

Hi All,
sorry in advance for bumping a thread from the thrid page, but I finally got my radio installed and wanted to add a link to the photos in case anyone wanted to see how it turned out.

I forgot to take a pic of the antenna, but its pretty normal. I will add one in the next few days.

'06 Mustang with Sirius JVC Sat radio installed
Old 10/4/05, 09:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Spdrcr@October 4, 2005, 7:28 PM
Hi All,
sorry in advance for bumping a thread from the thrid page, but I finally got my radio installed and wanted to add a link to the photos in case anyone wanted to see how it turned out.

I forgot to take a pic of the antenna, but its pretty normal. I will add one in the next few days.

'06 Mustang with Sirius JVC Sat radio installed
That looks sweet, did you do the install yourself?
Old 10/6/05, 06:20 PM

Actually I didnt. I had the bracket and the antenna in my garage for almost two weeks and decided I was tired of waiting. I took it to the local Circuit City and had them install it.

Had the power hard wired (without cutting the cig plug adt), FM modulator connected to the radio, antenna ran from rear deck, and bracket mounted for a total of $50.

I used the hard wired FM mod cause there just too much cross chatter if I use the wireless one built in. Its not the unit, its where I live. The wireless one works great if I use it in the house, but in the car, theres just too much FM traffic on all the possible channels that I get bleed through when I try to use it.

IMO it was a good price since I have been too busy with work. It took just over an hour to install with three guys working on it. I assume it would have taken me three to four hours myself since I tend to be too picky of my own work at times! My daily comute is 50 miles each way, so I was really wanting the radio installed at this point.

I'm heading home now, later tonight I will post pics of the antenna, so check the link above tomorrow if you want to see them.

hope the info helps !