05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

SilverHorse Racing Cup Bezel Handles, etc coming!!

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/06, 06:25 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SilverHorse Racing Cup Bezel Handles, etc coming!!

The cupholder bezel that we debuted at MCA 30th is in production as I type this, and should be available in a couple weeks. Ours, as shown at the event, has a functional front and rear holder, the front holding most any 12oz can (Coke, Pepsi, etc), and the rear capable of holding almost all 20oz bottles (water, Coke, Pepsi, Gatorade, etc.)

It will be available in a few finishes, including black anodized due to customer requests at the show.

Our interior door handles are also in production, and will be available in brushed, bead blasted, polished, and chrome plated finishes. We are working on the pricing on these right now, but wait until pictures are available!!

Anyone who saw the 94-04 handles we had on display knows the level of quality we are shooting for in our parts, so you should be happy with these as well.

More as it becomes available...
Old 9/6/06, 06:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
The cupholder bezel that we debuted at MCA 30th is in production as I type this, and should be available in a couple weeks. Ours, as shown at the event, has a functional front and rear holder, the front holding most any 12oz can (Coke, Pepsi, etc), and the rear capable of holding almost all 20oz bottles (water, Coke, Pepsi, Gatorade, etc.)

It will be available in a few finishes, including black anodized due to customer requests at the show.

Our interior door handles are also in production, and will be available in brushed, bead blasted, polished, and chrome plated finishes. We are wroking on the pricing on these right now, but wait until pictures are available!!

Anyone who saw the 94-04 handles we had on display knows the level of quality we are shooting for in our parts, so you should be happy with these as well.

More as it becomes available...

It had to be done.
Old 9/6/06, 07:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on how are you going to mention the items and then not post pics especially since so many people didn't get to see them at the show.

Old 9/6/06, 07:11 PM
Legacy Tms Member

LOL - had to see if you guys were awake...

I've only got the design prototypes so far (read unfinished, not engraved, etc) but I did take some pictures today that I'm working on right now. Give me a little while to clean up a couple and I'll post them for you.

Ok - here we go...

Like I said, these are PROTOTYPES, so ignore the finish for the most part, at the stage these parts are at, I just wanted to insure fit and overall design elements. I can't post pictures of the door handles because 1) I can't find the 94-04 pieces in the trailer right now, and 2) The 05+ pieces aren't machined yet.

But this should get you started for the moment. Oh, and cost is going to beat UPR... and as always, our parts will all be anodized or plated, no bare aluminum goes out our door, just like our exterior pieces.
Attached Images     
Old 9/6/06, 09:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The cupholder bezel looks good. The speaker cover...well..uhh yeah..if you don't have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all comes to mind. I think a more simple design or just a complete replacement for the subwoofer is needed.
Old 9/6/06, 09:28 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Fair enough Leo - what I really wanted to do was replace the entire plastic surround on the speaker, but to do it from billet is just too expensive - mostly because you throw away the majority of the material, and you have to machine it away, not just cut it out. Maybe we'll look at that a bit more before releasing it, I'm not 100% sure on a lot of things until we actually go into production and always welcome feedback, good and bad.
Old 9/6/06, 10:01 PM
Cobra Member

Marcello,

I find the quality of your work very high, and your to market attitude exceptional. Having seen what you're doing with interior and exterior pieces, I'd like to throw an idea to you... a lot of us Mustang owners had 60s and & 70s Mustangs, and one of the things I liked about my 65 hatchback was the console. The new 06 console is lacking in any type of design element. For those of us who show our car at shows, having something more similar to:

Would be awesome. I know that it would not be a cheap product, but I'd like to add a more old school feel to my interior, and some sort of piece that I can 3M onto my current console that has styling queues from this would be the cat's meow.

Thanks,
-danny
Old 9/6/06, 11:59 PM
Cobra Member

The cup bezels looks great, only thing thats kept me from buying the other brand was they made the holes pretty much unusable. An idea for a design element would be to give them a finish to match the IUP dash aluminum ribs. Would be a nice touch imo.
Old 9/7/06, 12:01 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Danny,

Are you looking for a combo woodgrain / aluminum type applique? Woodgrain is not a problem, I can get the B&I or Woodview kits. If you want a mix though like the one pictured, with depth in the aluminum part, that's a pretty tall order.

Those things were normally die-cast metal, which was then plated, and then the woodgrain decals were applied over top to hide the metal you didn't want shown. To do something similar nowadays in the US would be difficult and expensive given the size of the part, shape, etc. I'm not saying we couldn't do it, just that I don't know how many people would want to pay for it. It might become a project "down the road" when we have some working capital to play with though.

FWIW, I do like the idea. (even if my 73 doesn't have anything like it, I did like some of the interior bits on the older ones)
Old 9/7/06, 06:15 AM
Cobra Member

Marcello, the speaker grills are a fantastic idea, but I think you need to make them a bit more universal for the fact that a LOT of people who would purchase them would also purchase aftermarket speakers. I have an idea on how to pull it off. I'll draw it up and send it to you. It is actually something I was considering having machined myself. Do you also have access to plastics for mold or machining?
Old 9/7/06, 06:25 AM
Cobra Member

Not looking for a woodgrain as my interior is the charcoal/red two tone. I think that even doing a plated plastic piece that looks like the IUP with ribbing like that and the insets charcoal or black, that might work nicely. I wonder how much having a 'one off' done would run me????

-danny

Danny,

Are you looking for a combo woodgrain / aluminum type applique? Woodgrain is not a problem, I can get the B&I or Woodview kits. If you want a mix though like the one pictured, with depth in the aluminum part, that's a pretty tall order.

Those things were normally die-cast metal, which was then plated, and then the woodgrain decals were applied over top to hide the metal you didn't want shown. To do something similar nowadays in the US would be difficult and expensive given the size of the part, shape, etc. I'm not saying we couldn't do it, just that I don't know how many people would want to pay for it. It might become a project "down the road" when we have some working capital to play with though.

FWIW, I do like the idea. (even if my 73 doesn't have anything like it, I did like some of the interior bits on the older ones)
Old 9/7/06, 06:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

An idea for a design element would be to give them a finish to match the IUP dash aluminum ribs. Would be a nice touch imo.[/QUOTE]

Second that thought
Old 9/7/06, 07:17 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Hmm... there's a lot of ways this could happen.

You could have separate pieces, that would be easiest, cheapest, and you could do it from existing stuff on the market.

If you want an integrated, single-stick piece, that's a different story, and would require quite a bit of homework on my part - not that I'm afraid of it, just I don't have a quick and easy answer for it off the top of my head... anyway, the second cup of coffee hasn't hit yet!

Inifinity, I look forward to your idea. Yes we can do plastic injection molding, but remember that it is very expensive on the front side, our honeycomb panel was a 2nd mortgage on my house, literally. While the speakers would be less, they still cost a lot to do, so it would need to be something with wide appeal, that a lot of people would be looking for to consider. I still look forward to seeing your idea, who knows how we might be able to integrate it.
Old 9/7/06, 12:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm definitely up for one of the cup holder bezels. These look much more useful than the other one on the market. Marcello, let us know when these will be on the site to order. BTW, the anodized, will that be like a satin silver finish, not bright, but the same finish to match the door handles, and stock shifter top?
Old 9/7/06, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Can someone explain to me why the piece between the two cup holders can't be removed? It would make it much easier to reach things inside of the cup holders. Thanks
Old 9/7/06, 05:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Danny,

I would.....

And the sooner the better.
Old 9/7/06, 08:24 PM

I would like to see if someone comes up with a cup holder delete. I was thinking of having something made to fit in the cup holders with padding on top. A type of armrest extension if you will. Call me old school but I prefer to drive and not drink.
Old 9/7/06, 09:06 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by GOFISCH
Can someone explain to me why the piece between the two cup holders can't be removed? It would make it much easier to reach things inside of the cup holders. Thanks
If you cast it, it wouldn't be a problem at all. But when you are machining it from solid, you have to have "something" to hold on to while machining, otherwise it flies off into neverland. If you remove that area, there is even less to clamp to.

As to deleting it entirely, I can pull one before the centers are machined out - you'd just have to have the upholstery added to it to finish it off. As for being old school - I agree to an extent, but by the same token, I am glad I don't have to keep my drink in my lap anymore too...
Old 9/8/06, 05:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Now, this is just an idea. If anyone knows of someone with a waterjet machine, you can have a piece made for you. If you don't know what a waterjet machine is, its a machine that can cut metal by using a very, very high pressure water jet. I'm sure many have seen it on American Chopper, when they make trim pieces out of solid steel plates. If you put a piece of metal in the machine, map it out on the computer, and let the machine do it, you may have the piece without the center, as there is nothing needed to hold onto it. The jet is above the material. Again, I may just be dreaming.
Old 9/8/06, 05:40 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Jeff,

A waterjet is a good solution for a rough part, like a suspension bracket or roll cage gusset. High quality ones can also do pretty accurate work (+/-.002), but you'd need a really powerful, really expensive one to do the bezel or many other parts, since the part is not 2D, but 2.5D (chamfers and varying heights, etc) So you would need to articulate the jet to attempt to do the chamfers, and still would need to do secondary ops on a CNC mill.

So no, you're not pipe-dreaming, it is possible. But I don't know if the finished part would be what you'd want on the interior of your car looking right at you all the time. By the time you "prettied" it up with finishing and all, you might end up back in the same price range as machining it.

That, and a good waterjet machine is not cheap, plus add the consumable abrasives, jet tips, inability to punch through too thick of stock, etc.. and you end up back at a CNC mill for a lot of it.

Still though, valid possibility for a piece like this as a primary 1st operation.

Oh, and the way you load a waterjet, you have to have a "break off" point like a model car plastic sprue tree. So somewhere it does need to be fixed to avoid it sloshing around and ending up under the very jet you are trying to shape it with... that's normally a bad thing

Quick Reply: SilverHorse Racing Cup Bezel Handles, etc coming!!