05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Short Shifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/08, 07:02 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short Shifter Question

I'm currently looking at installing a short-shifter in my Bullitt when I get home from Iraq in December (along with a few other things to keep me busy until Spring).

I'm looking at a small selection and was wondering if any of you have any thoughts on the following:
FRRP/Hurst/Steeda Tri-ax; MGW. The Ford Racing, Hurst and Steeda look to be fairly similar in design and appearance and a choice would come down to manufacturing quality and 'feel' once installed.
I know a few guys here have the MGW installed and like it a lot, again, quality and feel would be the deciding factors here.
I also read about a few of you who had rattles and notchiness with the Steeda and Hurst models - any long-term issues (the posts I read after doing a 'search' were mostly from 2005/06)?

As I say I have a couple of months before I leave here, so there's plenty of time to make a decision. I'll not be installing it myself unless I can find a heated garage - Germany in Winter is a bit chilly to be lying on the ground under a car all day with bloody knuckles, swearing under my breath...

Last edited by Arkady001; 10/1/08 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10/1/08, 11:12 AM
V6 Member

Ive had the MGW for 6 months now...and I absolutely love it. The Customer service from them was amazing, the install was easy, and absolutely everything for a great shifting and driving experience is included. m2cw...
Old 10/1/08, 11:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I've had my MGW since they were first available and IMO it's the best shifter I've ever had ...
Old 10/2/08, 10:34 AM
V6 Member

Before I bought my MGW I did a search on several Mustang forums and examined over 400 posts. Several of the people posting had tried all of the popular brands such as Hurst, triax, and Pro 5 and the overwhelming majority preferred the MGW. Their quality is exceptional, each piece in the kit is individually wrapped and appears to be outstanding in quality. An istallation video is also provided. Early on in their production there were a handful of people who reported that one piece of the linkage had bent. MGW had that piece remanufactured and then made sure that all who had purchased the early production run received a new linkage whether they had complained or not. This is almost unheard of in this day and age. The MGW also has the most versatility of any shifter out there, the length of the throws are adjustable to 8 different setting and the stick itself can be adjusted up and down as well as left or right. I have had mine now for 14 months the shift from 2nd to 3rd is almost automatic. It is the best mod that I have made to my 07 GT Vert.
Old 10/2/08, 01:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

i have the hurst shifter and will not change for anything..... it got my purchase cause of the old nostalgic look that i love with the white ball that says hurst on it...... i love the notchy feeling it feels like you know your in gear looks good and sounds good when it clicks....... i have no vibration or rattles what so ever and no complaints..... i've had it for about 7 months now..... look into the hurst
Old 10/2/08, 02:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I went through 2 MGWs and 2 Pro 5.0s. Both great shifters but I prefer the Pro 5.0. The MGW is too stiff for me and takes force to get into gears whereas the Pro 5.0 is very easy and precise.
Old 10/2/08, 08:58 PM
Bullitt Member

I've had my MGW in for over a year and I love it! The first few days it felt a little stiff but I either got used to it or it loosened up a tad. I had to get used to the 1-2 shift (needs to be held to the left) but the 2-3 shift is amazing!!! It just goes right in.

The best thing about the MGW besides the great feel is it's adjustability in throw shifter height and even position left-right within the shifter boot.
Old 10/3/08, 03:13 AM
V6 Member

Hi everyone - and thanks for the responses so far.
In the end I went for the Hurst, based on looks as well as performance. I feel that despite the better quality of the MGW, the Hurst is what I'm after - slightly 'rough-around-the-edges but with that bit of retro 'bling' that will set the cabin off nicely.
I managed to have a play with the Ford racing/Hurst set-up in a Shelby GT before I shipped out here and remember that it felt exactly as described here: slightly notchy but firm and precise. Other people have said that it gets smoother with time, so I feel that it should last OK as well...

Once again thanks for the feedback.
Old 10/3/08, 03:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Once you get tired of the notchiness of the Hurst, you can put the Hurst handle on the Pro 5.0. to have the retro look and a better shifter.
Old 10/4/08, 12:17 AM
V6 Member

OK...I hear what you're saying...lol
Old 10/4/08, 01:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

I also went for the Hurst.

If you hit more than 160 km/h on the Autobahn it starts rattling.

I'll drive it until it annoys me so much that I will swap to any other manufcturer who provides better quality when in high velocity.

What I will do is taking the Hurst ****/arm off and install it on the new high quality shifter.
Old 10/4/08, 01:13 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by StangRalle
I also went for the Hurst.

If you hit more than 160 km/h on the Autobahn it starts rattling.

I'll drive it until it annoys me so much that I will swap to any other manufcturer who provides better quality when in high velocity.

What I will do is taking the Hurst ****/arm off and install it on the new high quality shifter.
Excellent! Something to annoy me on long drives...(apart from my girlfriend singing along to the music...) lol
I'll take my chances and use lots of Loc-Tite...if it's really horrendous I'll do something different along the lines you've suggested...
Old 10/5/08, 05:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by scramblr
Once you get tired of the notchiness of the Hurst, you can put the Hurst handle on the Pro 5.0. to have the retro look and a better shifter.
+1. I done the same thing and love it.
Old 10/5/08, 01:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI - I've heard the billet hurst model doesn't have all the problems of the stamped steel hurst.
Old 10/5/08, 01:40 PM
Cobra Member

Anybody with a MGW has been (edit) 99% satisfied from what I have heard. Personally I have a Hurst Comp and I love it. No rattling issues or anything after 10,000 miles

Last edited by officespace56; 10/5/08 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10/5/08, 03:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by officespace56
Anybody with a MGW has been 100% satisfied from what I have heard.
Not everyone. I went through two of them and back to the Pro 5.0. Totally happy again.
Old 10/6/08, 04:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by scramblr
Not everyone. I went through two of them and back to the Pro 5.0. Totally happy again.
Glad to hear this for once!

You still in Germany?
Old 10/6/08, 04:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Arkady001
Excellent! Something to annoy me on long drives...(apart from my girlfriend singing along to the music...) lol
I'll take my chances and use lots of Loc-Tite...if it's really horrendous I'll do something different along the lines you've suggested...
Let her sing! lol...

First drive a bit and see if you can stand it or not. Then make the decision.

It is still great!
Old 10/6/08, 04:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

BTW, there is another thread on this topic with a resolution: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...86#post5647786
Old 10/6/08, 12:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by StangRalle
You still in Germany?
Yep, and in Feb 09 I'm moving within Germany for another three years.

Quick Reply: Short Shifter Question